AT&T S8 - Phone app - 2 questions

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Searched for this but couldn't find answer... Two questions:

- With the visual voicemail app (now built into dialer), I noticed the proximity sensor does not work - screen stays on even when bringing phone up to ear. With a regular call, the screen does turn off as it should. Is this a known issue?

My wife & I both have AT&T S8s. Both of our phone apps are the latest - 2.3.00.20. On mine, under the 3 dot menu, I have an extra option: "Open to last viewed" or "Open to keypad" - however, hers does not have this option. Any idea why they do not have same options despite being same versions?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I see the option for the Open to last viewed or Open to keypad on my phone. But the version I have is 2.3.01.26 for the phone app on my Note 8. Can you try updating your phone app?

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I tried - it says I already have the latest version. But I'll keep watching - maybe it will show up eventually. But I can't figure out why if both of us have the same version, my phone would have this option but hers would not.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I tried - it says I already have the latest version. But I'll keep watching - maybe it will show up eventually. But I can't figure out why if both of us have the same version, my phone would have this option but hers would not.

I have the same phone app version as you and your wife. When I open the app and bring up the dialer then it will give me the option of open to the keypad from the 3 dot hamburger menu.

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same 3 dot option for last viewed or dialer from the dialer pad. Perhaps try a factory reset to see if it fixes it.

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks both of you. Not sure if I am ready for factory reset but will poke into the phone app on her phone a bit more, or wait for the *next* update. I like the "open to keypad" option because with the new visual voicemail being embedded into the phone app, the link (and unread VVM) count only shows up there.

Does the proximity sensor also not work when listening to VMs, for all of you?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both of you. Not sure if I am ready for factory reset but will poke into the phone app on her phone a bit more, or wait for the *next* update. I like the "open to keypad" option because with the new visual voicemail being embedded into the phone app, the link (and unread VVM) count only shows up there.

Does the proximity sensor also not work when listening to VMs, for all of you?

Just listened to VMs and the proximity sensor did indeed work.
I don't get VVM on mine since it's unlocked but have it open to the keypad anyway.

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just listened to VMs and the proximity sensor did indeed work.
I don't get VVM on mine since it's unlocked but have it open to the keypad anyway.

If you aren't using VVM, then I assume you're listening to regular VM by dialing 1 (or the VM phone number)? Proximity sensor works for me too that way, because it's effectively making a regular phone call.

It is only when I press "play" through VVM that the proximity sensor does not work. As if the VVM app does not read the proximity sensor at all.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If you aren't using VVM, then I assume you're listening to regular VM by dialing 1 (or the VM phone number)? Proximity sensor works for me too that way, because it's effectively making a regular phone call.

It is only when I press "play" through VVM that the proximity sensor does not work. As if the VVM app does not read the proximity sensor at all.

You're right. I guess it does think I'm making a regular phone call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech