04-10-2018 05:27 PM
774 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    Then complaining about battery life!
    Sad but true:-)
    gendo667 and badcat like this.
    11-29-2017 02:46 PM
    Nope still don't have the guts (or patience) to sign up for the beta. Actually I did try one but I can't find the enrollment option in the Samsung+ app. I guess they closed it or all the seats got taken.
    My mistake. Thought you were in it then temporarily rolled back to 7.0
    11-29-2017 02:47 PM
    4 hours SOT. 37%. Pretty good.
    badcat likes this.
    11-29-2017 06:46 PM
    I got to 14 hours at 29% with 4.5 hours SOT. Lots of time on this site and Members app plus my regular email, calendar, OK Google, text. Shopping app open for about 20 minutes during errands and 15 minutes of navigation with Maps to get to an appointment.
    Android System is still a battery hog. Has it always been like that and I just didn't notice it?
    11-29-2017 07:17 PM
    I've had a few of the Samsung apps crash. The Gallery app crashed while trying to open a image from the Samsung email app. The Galaxy app crashed when I turned on my phone this morning before it had even finished bootting. Weird. Both apps appear to function normally afterwards though.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    11-30-2017 05:58 AM
    Been lucky this time around. Had one crash each of Samsung keyboard (hit the Messages emoji instead of my SwiftKey emoji) while trying to text and Members app right after I updated. Wiped cache and rebooted after both crashes and nothing since.
    One thing bothers me. I connected with Smart Switch yesterday to do a backup. Previously it would show an update available... That being the 7.0 download. Yesterday it only told me the phone was up-to-date.
    Hoping they just need to update Smart Switch. Not having the option to rollback makes me a bit anxious.
    Otherwise the phone has no glaring issues at this time.
    badcat likes this.
    11-30-2017 06:31 AM
    Since the app crashed aren't deal breakers so far I'm just going to roll along myself for a while.
    gendo667 likes this.
    11-30-2017 08:36 AM
    I saw that too, and comments on Sammy Com. msg board.

If Samsung alters the way it boots, and makes changes that push it along to what Oreo has to be ready for for the 845 S9 (project Treble), Smart Restore probably isn't ready - or the right tool.

But a system wipe can cure many of the ails a phone. I HAD to after Settings app constantly closing and crashing on its own didn't stop with b3. And only began the day before as I installed but didn't get use most major SMS texting apps. And Mobile ESET. And few others. No idea what monkey wrench got in but clearing cache files and partition didn't cure it's ills.

In this dance of Oreo until forever or the game is over.
    11-30-2017 09:07 AM
    I just got this notice when I checked for updates (Sprint S8+):

Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.-screenshot_20171130-103308.jpg
    11-30-2017 09:37 AM
    I'm hoping to not wipe the phone again. I already did it once during the beta. If I can't count on Smart Switch then I am even less inclined to do so.
    @mary beth hale I just ran Smart Switch to back up and it showed "A new software version is available". Maybe Smart Switch is still ok?

Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.-ss.png
    11-30-2017 09:38 AM
    I just got this notice when I checked for updates (Sprint S8+):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171130-103308.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	274802
    It's beta 3. Welcome into the fold.
    mary beth hale and tube517 like this.
    11-30-2017 09:44 AM
    I'm hoping to not wipe the phone again. I already did it once during the beta. If I can't count on Smart Switch then I am even less inclined to do so.
    @mary beth hale I just ran Smart Switch to back up and it showed "A new software version is available". Maybe Smart Switch is still ok?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	274803
    Thanks. Just connected to SS again and it's showing up. Maybe they updated it since yesterday or I was doing something wrong.
    Not having any immediate issues, but happy it's there as a safety net.
    badcat likes this.
    11-30-2017 10:29 AM
    Ah, but as I continue, same story, wants to take me down to 7.0 official version.
    Nothing new to see or do.

MacBook MacOS 10.13.2
    badcat likes this.
    11-30-2017 11:30 AM
    Beta 3 is working fairly well for me except Allo still freezes and won't respond when tapping it.

Cleared cache partition and we'll see if battery life is better.
    11-30-2017 12:38 PM
    Thanks. Just connected to SS again and it's showing up. Maybe they updated it since yesterday or I was doing something wrong.
    Not having any immediate issues, but happy it's there as a safety net.
    Yeah I'm not sure. I just thought I should back up again and saw that when I launched it. Glad it's sorted out on your end as well.

I have to say I was a bit iffy on Smart Switch until I restored from a backup. Now I'm a fan. It didn't get everything but probably got about 90%. Definitely a time saver after a hard reset.
    11-30-2017 02:15 PM
    But. Does it back up Oreo safely?

When I proceed it says it will install 7.0.

I assumed new meant new version of SS.
    11-30-2017 02:54 PM
    It backs up Oreo. I have a 3.7 GB directory that I can browse through, view and open files from. So I'd say it backs up ok.

I for one like the fact that the back up isn't in some sort of proprietary format. Even if it didn't put it back on the phone, you still have it.

When I did the hard reset I restored an Oreo back up to the Oreo beta and that worked for me.

I think it offers 7.0 as a means to opt out of the Oreo beta so you can revert to Nougat. I haven't tried that so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    11-30-2017 03:17 PM
    When I tried restoring from the Oreo backup to Nougat stable, Smart Switch didn't restore my apps. It just said it can't even though it did back them up.
    badcat likes this.
    11-30-2017 03:32 PM
    I think it offers 7.0 as a means to opt out of the Oreo beta so you can revert to Nougat. I haven't tried that so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.
    That's exactly what it does, puts you back on Nougat. While it says "update", it is actually downgrading you to 7.0.
    Had to use it to rollback after 2 broke com.android.phone.
    As long as you don't "deregister" in settings on the Members app, the Beta just shows up again after you do a manual check for updates.
    11-30-2017 03:34 PM
    When I tried restoring from the Oreo backup to Nougat stable, Smart Switch didn't restore my apps. It just said it can't even though it did back them up.
    I backed up before rolling back to 7.0 temporarily. SS would not recognize my backup from Oreo when I tried to restore from it.
    I had another restore point, though, so all was good.
    When I got back on Beta, I hard reset. SS then let me use my Oreo backup.
    I don't think 7.0 recognizes the Oreo backup, if that makes any sense.
    badcat likes this.
    11-30-2017 03:38 PM
    Glad it's sorted out on your end as well.
    It allowed me to have a usable phone after error in 2. That's why I was freaking out a bit when I didn't see the "update" notice in SS when I was backing up yesterday.
    Since you gave me the heads-up about it today, feel much better...have my safety net back.
    badcat likes this.
    11-30-2017 03:48 PM
    Yeah I only tried it with an Oreo backup restoring to Oreo.
    11-30-2017 05:18 PM
    System UI shows 8 crashes today. Phone rebooted twice while not being used with accompanying error message for System UI. Battery drain worse today as well. Not sure what's going on. System logs sent per Members App.
    12-01-2017 06:49 PM
    Galaxy apps crashed again when I started the phone. It keeps wanting to update but it seems like the update doesn't stick across a reboot. I agree that beta 3 seems a bit flakier than the last two were.
    12-01-2017 07:38 PM
    Galaxy apps crashed again when I started the phone. It keeps wanting to update but it seems like the update doesn't stick across a reboot. I agree that beta 3 seems a bit flakier than the last two were.
    Galaxy Apps may be my issue as well. After reading your post I looked again at app crashes... Samsung Pay was there along with System UI.
    Went into Galaxy apps and it had been trying to update Samsung Pay.
    12-01-2017 08:13 PM
774 ... 1415161718 ...