04-10-2018 05:27 PM
774 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    Downloading/installing now. Glad to hear some improvements from you all for Beta 4
    badcat likes this.
    12-14-2017 10:38 PM
    Just installed. Email crashed one time. I wiped the cache partition and now it's on the charger. Hopefully this one is problem free.
    12-15-2017 05:20 AM
    The assessment is so good,Is there any reason not to try it?
    12-15-2017 05:40 AM
    While it has been improving overall with each successive build it's really an individual choice. If you're ok with a bit of risk, I'd say go for it. Backup your device first though, just to be safe and in case you want/need to roll back to Nougat.

It appears that if you use Smart Switch as a backup you can't backup in Oreo and restore to Nougat, at least not for the time being. Nougat to Nougat and Oreo to Oreo appear to be working correctly.
    mary beth hale and gendo667 like this.
    12-15-2017 05:56 AM
    me tooooo
    12-15-2017 06:01 AM
    So far so good. I've stuck with every beta build so far, and this one is the first where I can definitively say (at least, for now) that it runs smoother than Nougat. Time often reveals more problems, so we'll see where this goes from here. So far, though, loving beta 4.
    mary beth hale and badcat like this.
    12-15-2017 07:15 AM
    Stand-by battery overnight not so good. Going to charge before work and see how it does today. Maybe some background stuff running last night. Really smooth and fast though and no crashes this morning.
    12-15-2017 07:48 AM
    Isthere terminal access to TOP command to see what's churning inside??
    12-15-2017 08:07 AM
    So far, so good but I still don't have much time in with it yet. It does seem "snappier" but I'm not sure if that's wishful thinking or not... I haven't seen another email crash since the first one. Nine still isn't working properly but that might be a Nine problem. Nine functions as an email client but I can't save pictures from it anymore. That hasn't worked right since beta 1. Samsung email is doing the trick for the time being.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    12-15-2017 08:57 AM
    Stand-by battery overnight not so good. Going to charge before work and see how it does today. Maybe some background stuff running last night. Really smooth and fast though and no crashes this morning.
    I'd say my battery life has taken a minor hit as well. It had improved on beta 3 but seems to have slipped again. I'll give it some more time.
    12-15-2017 01:03 PM
    Don't want to jinx anything certainly, but so far it's definitely better. I did a cache wipe before installing, and so far I haven't had any of the problems of before.

Hope it stays this way.
    gendo667 and badcat like this.
    12-15-2017 01:41 PM
    Looks like they finally fixed the iris scanner issues. Been running great all day.
    badcat likes this.
    12-15-2017 03:47 PM
    Special Access in Settings > Apps still shows

Install from Unknown Sources enabled by default for Messages
    ________

Help me understand why. Why it is there. Why enabled. Was this by design? Is there a purpose for this?
    It was present in b3 also.

Security vulnerabilities like this don't make sense to me. Call me p.o. paranoid - school of unintended consequences I came up through.

To add and install untested themes and stickers or something that can't be done in a more secure manner? Should the feature exist to begin with?

Hope this does not remain when Oreo is released. But if it does, not enabled by default.

(I think of it as a wide open front door, not even a "backdoor" issue.)
    12-17-2017 06:29 AM
    12-17-2017 06:45 AM

________

Help me understand why. Why it is there. Why enabled. Was this by design? Is there a purpose for this?

Security vulnerabilities like this don't make sense to me. Call me p.o. paranoid - school of unintended consequences I came up through.

To add and install untested themes and stickers or something that can't be done in a more secure manner? Should the feature exist to begin with?

Hope this does not remain when Oreo is released. But if it does, not enabled by default.

That's one of the first things I checked after downloading 4 and very disappointed that "feature" is still there. Really don't understand the rationale for allowing this.
    badcat likes this.
    12-17-2017 08:32 AM
    Battery drain is still an issue for me with 4. Off work tomorrow and going to rollback to 7.0 then reinstall beta 4 to see if that helps. Otherwise haven't experienced issues that impact my use.
    badcat likes this.
    12-17-2017 08:35 AM
    Play Store crashed. First time experiencing that throughout this beta period. Logs sent.
    12-17-2017 12:19 PM
    My battery life is terrible with beta 4. I hope that they fix it soon.
    12-17-2017 01:16 PM
    Felt like Play Store was not responding earlier today. Everything else was fine.

Sunday maintenance?
    gendo667 likes this.
    12-17-2017 01:22 PM

________

Thanks for posting this. I just checked it on my device and it was set to "enabled" as well. Like you, I do not understand why this would be the default setting. It feels like an accident just waiting to happen.
    12-17-2017 02:09 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I just checked it on my device and it was set to "enabled" as well. Like you, I do not understand why this would be the default setting. It feels like an accident just waiting to happen.
    Totally irresponsible on Samsung's part. If Gayle hadn't posted when we got 2&3 I would never had thought to check. Makes no sense.
    badcat likes this.
    12-17-2017 03:23 PM
    Yeah I checked back when she initially posted about it but totally spaced on it after install b4. I'm glad she brought it up again.

I'm going to send feedback about it.
    12-17-2017 03:43 PM
    Puts on tinfoil hat before stepping out...

... perfect back door for a keyloogger, even if hidden from us but buried in the kernel for someone else to access.

Drive by downloads.
    Send specially crafted email. Or Message.
    - by default both of these downloads images and attachmwnts; Allow Messages to link to web via url.

All the worst parts of Windows XP waiting to be abused.

To say this is unacceptable isn't strong enough. To do so is to invite trouble, even send people to iOS- they're having a bad year with typo problems and worse.

I'd pay 2x as much perhaps for a hardened OS. Incombant on users to invest in security package.
    I don't trust bundled suites, whether ATT or what Sammy chose though it might be convenient. Or not.

ESET looks in normal places for enabling unknown sources and alerts me if I forget to turn t back off.
    Don't know if that switch in Security section of Settings "overrides" or is a master switch, or independent and separate.id hope it is a master switch to any app's special access.

Not ready to take tinfoil ha just yet. ;-<
    12-17-2017 04:07 PM
    So I've been having a problem with my home wifi. Not necessarily beta related although I'm not sure. Almost every time I get home it doesn't reconnect because of an authentication error. I've reset the router, I've forgotten and reconnected to the network. But to no avail. Any suggestions?
    tube517 likes this.
    12-17-2017 06:09 PM
    Re: enable unknown apps... Feedback sent through Members app. If everyone who has concerns about it could contribute to that thread it might help.
    badcat likes this.
    12-17-2017 08:06 PM
774 ... 1819202122 ...