04-10-2018 05:27 PM
774 ... 293031
tools
    A few hours after I switch and looks like Oreo has officially started to download on the unlocked S8 plus
    04-04-2018 06:22 AM
    I just tried an original Pixel XL. B&H sent me a Verizon version with a locked bootloader so I sent it back but it definitely lacked the premium feel of the S8+. The screen was just so so and the automatic brightness control continuously flickered like it couldn't decide on a setting. I was not impressed for the amount of money they cost.

On a positive note, I got two OS updates and four or five security patches in the first hour!

I was a Nexus 5X user so I appreciate the more stripped down approach. It sucks that as Android users we have to choose between Samsung or Google. This lack of security patches is getting out of hand and I doubt I'm going to purchase another Samsung device. They need to stop emulating Motorola.

I also loved the Windows Phone OS. I only left it when it became apparent that MS was going to abandon it. It is a shame as it had some really nice stuff going on.
    pankaj981 and mary beth hale like this.
    04-04-2018 06:42 AM
    Well I'm using a Verizon 2XL myself but I'm not into tinkering these days so a locked bootloader doesn't bother me. I agree, the S8+ has a very premium feel to it, better than the Pixel. That doesn't mean the Pixel is bad, it's pretty premium feeling as well but I guess the added heft and the sleeker profile on the S8+ does make a difference. There's some blue shift as well but I'm not seeing anything abnormal on it, may be I just have a better screen than what others have reported. The screen was definitely better on the S8+ but the saturated mode on the Pixel definitely brought back some punchy colors. Overall I brought this for the camera, software updates and mostly importantly...being independent of carriers (and their dependency in testing software updates). After that last response from Samsung, I didn't want to be dependent on carriers despite having bought an unlocked device. We will see how this one goes.

FYI the S8+ was the longest active device I've kept after the S7E. I'm pretty sure I'll be moving to something else before the end of the year :-P
    badcat and mary beth hale like this.
    04-04-2018 07:01 AM
    I only tried the original XL, not a 2 XL so I can't comment on that device at all. Buying a Pixel seems like the only option if you want timely security patches. I presumed (and man, was I wrong) that paying over $800.00 for a Samsung got me better than average software support.

My cheapo Motorola is running a more current patch than my S8+! There is no world where that should happen. Samsung should be ashamed, but I'm sure they aren't.
    pankaj981 and mary beth hale like this.
    04-04-2018 07:25 AM
    A few hours after I switch and looks like Oreo has officially started to download on the unlocked S8 plus
    Downloading now. Kind of anti-climactic...
    pankaj981 and badcat like this.
    04-04-2018 07:37 AM
    Well i was kinda gonna switch anyways. I didn't like Samsung's response to the software update debacle for the unlocked variants, though practically it does make sense.

Plus I'm kinda excited to finally test out the Pixel camera hype this weekend during the cherry blossom in DC.
    mary beth hale and badcat like this.
    04-04-2018 07:41 AM
    Well i was kinda gonna switch anyways. I didn't like Samsung's response to the software update debacle for the unlocked variants, though practically it does make sense.

Plus I'm kinda excited to finally test out the Pixel camera hype this weekend during the cherry blossom in DC.
    I'll check out the Pixel forum to see your pics if you share.
    badcat likes this.
    04-04-2018 07:44 AM
    Really? It's about time. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.
    04-04-2018 08:37 AM
    Really? It's about time. I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.
    Well I'm kinda setting my S8+ up for a potential buyer this evening. Hopefully they'll baby it the same way I did. It's very hard to let a pristine black S8+ go, especially when it comes with a 128Gb U3 Samsung card, Gear VR headset + remote and a Samsung fast wireless charger. I'm gonna miss it :-( yeah so much drama lol
    04-04-2018 08:43 AM
    Somehow I missed this post... DOH!
    mary beth hale and pankaj981 like this.
    04-04-2018 08:46 AM
    Downloading now.
    04-04-2018 12:05 PM
    Well I'm kinda setting my S8+ up for a potential buyer this evening. Hopefully they'll baby it the same way I did. It's very hard to let a pristine black S8+ go, especially when it comes with a 128Gb U3 Samsung card, Gear VR headset + remote and a Samsung fast wireless charger. I'm gonna miss it :-( yeah so much drama lol
    Good luck with the sale!

I got Oreo installed and up and running.Then I just said the hell with it and went for a hard reset. It seemed ok but I had the time so I went for it.

The one thing I noticed is the my cellular signal strength (bars) is lower. When I check the actual level it seems about what it was before so I'm guessing that one of them, either before or after, is more accurate than the other. I don't know which one though.

I'm currently on T-Mo and I ran a speed test it was ok for only showing two bars.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    04-04-2018 03:54 PM
    Good luck with the sale!

I got Oreo installed and up and running.Then I just said the hell with it and went for a hard reset. It seemed ok but I had the time so I went for it.
    I did the same thing. On a day off I had time to backup and reset. No performance issues, just old habits.
    04-04-2018 04:03 PM
    I did the same thing. On a day off I had time to backup and reset. No performance issues, just old habits.
    I've done it so many times it's not scary anymore. Like you say, all you need is time. A little preparation doesn't hurt either! Most of my preparation is stuff I learned the hard way.
    gendo667 and mary beth hale like this.
    04-04-2018 09:02 PM
    I've done it so many times it's not scary anymore. Like you say, all you need is time. A little preparation doesn't hurt either! Most of my preparation is stuff I learned the hard way.
    I'm a pro at factory reset now. No hesitation about doing it after any major update... Or even if I'm simply bored :-)
    gendo667 and badcat like this.
    04-04-2018 09:49 PM
    So how's the new update treating you so far? Does it have the same bugs as beta 7? Does battery still drain quickly?
    badcat likes this.
    04-06-2018 06:21 AM
    So how's the new update treating you so far? Does it have the same bugs as beta 7? Does battery still drain quickly?
    No bugs here. But I never really experienced any with beta 7. Battery seems just a bit better. I get through a work day with a little more battery than on Nougat.

I assumed this was a question for everyone in the thread.
    pankaj981 and badcat like this.
    04-06-2018 06:27 AM
    I assumed this was a question for everyone in the thread.
    Yes sir
    badcat likes this.
    04-06-2018 06:28 AM
    I did a hard reset after the update and so far the phone has been working very well. It's too early for me to talk about battery life because I ported my number back to Verizon ( I was on T-Mo and rural coverage was a concern) and due to some errors on Verizon's part I ended up rebooting the phone 8 or 10 times. I'll report back later today.

Having said that, I don't think it's going to be as good as it was on Nougat from what I have seen. Like the betas, I don't think it will be truly awful but the S8+ battery life on Nougat was tremendous as far as I was concerned.
    04-06-2018 06:40 AM

While I was standing around at the Verizon store I played with both of the Pixel 2's for a bit. Nice phones. Of course now I want one...
    pankaj981 likes this.
    04-06-2018 06:42 AM
    While I was standing around at the Verizon store I played with both of the Pixel 2's for a bit. Nice phones. Of course now I want one...
    From your previous comment, if battery is important then the Pixel 2XL is not a upgrade. I have been using this since more than a day now and battery is more or less same as the S8+. In fact, the S8 Plus' battery kinda lasted better. May be it's too early to say, I'll give it a few more days before jumping to conclusions.
    badcat likes this.
    04-06-2018 06:51 AM
    From your previous comment, if battery is important then the Pixel 2XL is not a upgrade. I have been using this since more than a day now and battery is more or less same as the S8+. In fact, the S8 Plus' battery kinda lasted better. May be it's too early to say, I'll give it a few more days before jumping to conclusions.
    I'd say battery is a consideration, not a priority. My experience with Pixel 2s was brief, but positive. I'm a phone junkie anyway and enjoy swapping out devices and trying new and different stuff. I still have a Nexus 5X and I like the stripped down Android approach as well as the security patches.

One thing that would be cool would be if other Android manufacturers could implement the ability to sideload updates. Sideloading an update to my 5X only takes a few minutes and really is super easy.
    04-06-2018 08:24 AM
    Yeah giving the ability to sideload updates will be cool or even giving a tool to update offline when connecting to the PC will be a welcome change. Samsung, HTC and Motorola already have some software tools today.

BTW, standby time on the Pixel is actually better than the non-low-power mode on the S8+.
    badcat likes this.
    04-10-2018 08:22 AM
    Yeah giving the ability to sideload updates will be cool or even giving a tool to update offline when connecting to the PC will be a welcome change. Samsung, HTC and Motorola already have some software tools today.

BTW, standby time on the Pixel is actually better than the non-low-power mode on the S8+.
    I don't think any other OEM provides the ability the way Google does. Being able to download the OTA image on a PC and non-destructively update the phone is a really nice feature. My 5X only has a few more months of patches before it's support ends.
    04-10-2018 05:27 PM
774 ... 293031