Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hadn't seen this before...the ability to change to list view in recent apps. For some reason I really like the look of this better.
Was this available in nougat or is this a Beta thing? Just curious.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171121-213914.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-213914.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 31

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

If I was in the market for a phone, I wouldn't be buying one with andy 7 or 8 if there's a 8.1, unless the phone with andy 8 was outstanding.
If being on the most current OS version is first and foremost for someone, the only way to guarantee that is to purchase a Google phone (currently Pixel). Other OEMs may commit to speedy updates in press releases or advertising, but it's not a guarantee they will follow through. Pretty much a crap shoot.
Of course I would prefer up-to-the-minute updates, but my phone purchases depend on my other feature preferences as well.
I think every OEM could and should improve on security update releases, if not new OS updates.
Not holding my breath, though.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

Oreo is suppose to be laying the ground work to isolate the system from carrier specific layer and user apps.

8.1 is already being worked on Google Pixel to fix the 8.0.0 bugs ;->

Full support for Google Project Treble depends on a phone being baked originally with the new bootloader and firmware, not just slapping an Oreo on top. The S9 Galaxy should qualify.

https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/treble

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
When I got home from work I saw a notification from Members app. Got kind of excited but... It's only an update to the app itself.

I'm hoping for a new update myself. I've discovered a few other bugs with some of my apps and I'm considering rolling back to Nougat. I've got workarounds but the issues are adding up. Again, I knew what I was asking for so not complaining.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Either Phone are a or BGR or A mobile had What's New In Oreo. And showed this option.

I like how BlackBerry would show apps as cards. In some cases of varying size. Side by side and stacked rather than roll a deck or 'fan.'

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping for a new update myself. I've discovered a few other bugs with some of my apps and I'm considering rolling back to Nougat. I've got workarounds but the issues are adding up. Again, I knew what I was asking for so not complaining.

I wish you weren't having the issues. At least it's easy to get the beta back though. I had to roll back to 7.0 because of the com. android. phone thing and the beta was waiting for me in software update when I decided to go back to it. Just a PITA doing the resets.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

Oreo is suppose to be laying the ground work to isolate the system from carrier specific layer and user apps.

8.1 is already being worked on Google Pixel to fix the 8.0.0 bugs ;->

Full support for Google Project Treble depends on a phone being baked originally with the new bootloader and firmware, not just slapping an Oreo on top. The S9 Galaxy should qualify.

https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/treble

Didn't realize that. Good to know.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish you weren't having the issues. At least it's easy to get the beta back though. I had to roll back to 7.0 because of the com. android. phone thing and the beta was waiting for me in software update when I decided to go back to it. Just a PITA doing the resets.

I wish I wasn't either! Nine is acting up and won't let me save attachments any more. Gmail still isn't notifying me properly and Solid Explorer doesn't see the sd card. Still not a peep from the dev despite three contact attempts. Sd card problems continue.

I'm using the Samsung email app for now instead of Nine.

None of these are deal beakers but ARE pains in the rear.

I'm trying to hold out for the next update hoping at least some of the issues are resolved.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The sd card and email issues must really affect day to day usability. I can see why you may want to roll back. I'm kind of hoping for a beta update Monday after Thanksgiving is over.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I wish I wasn't either! Nine is acting up and won't let me save attachments any more. Gmail still isn't notifying me properly and Solid Explorer doesn't see the sd card. Still not a peep from the dev despite three contact attempts. Sd card problems continue.

I'm using the Samsung email app for now instead of Nine.

None of these are deal beakers but ARE pains in the rear.

I'm trying to hold out for the next update hoping at least some of the issues are resolved.

Looks like Beta 3 is addressing an SD card issue. Hope this helps the problem you're having with yours

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Looks like Beta 3 is addressing an SD card issue. Hope this helps the problem you're having with yours
I believe the sd card issue was in the change log. Funny, the first thing I thought of was your problem. 😄

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not seeing anything about sd cards in that link. I'll install it as soon as it's available and see what happens.
d6e46b85250bd7a8216fcd332aa47031.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513