Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I had left the beta after the 3rd release. Hopefully its at least close to being stable.

It seems fairly stable to me so far. I really haven't encountered much in the way of issues. Nine still crashes on occasion and still acts a bit flakey once in a while but that's about all I've noticed.

rocknrollover

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I was just wading through this thread and I opened my Samsung Plus app and there was notice to enroll in the beta program. I read somewhere that they were not allowing people to do that after the 5th. anyway, what's next? Will I get an OTA update?

I just got the beta invite too I have a Oreo waiting for me to download now just need some WiFi.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

Feels very stable to me. I'm having an issue with SwiftKey themes, but nothing else. Mostly have forgotten its even on a Beta.
Yeah so far it has been pretty smooth for me. I did perform a cache wipe after the update. One thing I noticed, incoming WhatsApp calls don't light up the screen anymore, same as Skype but it does show an incoming call notification on the AOD screen. Not sure if it's an Oreo thing. I might have to look it up on that. Outside of that, everything has been good. And yes, the modified Gcam works a lot better on Oreo, including portrait mode. Hopefully Samsung will include something similar in the final release.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Swiftkey isn't happy

It'll work at a basic level; but you can't customise otherwise it crashed

I've reported it so hopefully it'll be updated soon enough

I uninstalled then reinstalled SwiftKey and was able to download a theme rather than just using the 2 defaults. This was a theme I've used before. When I tried downloading one that was new for me, it crashed. I re-downloaded the one I've used previously and it's fine. Weird.
At least I've got the one I want though.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
That's a good way to describe it. That's how it seems to me as well.
Only other complain I have is the additional battery consumption. Yesterday was my second day with beta 4 and battery life is slightly reduced compared to the stable December build. It's definitely not as bad as the earlier Betas but it's surely there, could be due to additional logging/processing for feedback gathering, etc. I'm really looking forward to it... its really smooth so far.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

Only other complain I have is the additional battery consumption. Yesterday was my second day with beta 4 and battery life is slightly reduced compared to the stable December build. It's definitely not as bad as the earlier Betas but it's surely there, could be due to additional logging/processing for feedback gathering, etc. I'm really looking forward to it... its really smooth so far.
You're not on beta 5? If I missed an earlier post, I apologize.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
After being on beta, if you haven't it's usually wise to give the phone a clean start. Everyone that did saw big improvement.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site

You're not on beta 5? If I missed an earlier post, I apologize.
Yeah I'm on beta 5, sorry didn't realize . I'm hoping Samsung would release a 6th beta before the 15th to wrap things up. Or even better, release the final version to the unlocked variant early for the beta users. Microsoft does this it's Insiders, wish other companies could follow suit.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I've noticed this too. It's not huge but it is noticeable. B5 is also running quite nicely for me as well. As I said above, Nine is the only real issue I have and that's probably a Nine problem. It's never been happy with any of the Oreo betas.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up for Swiftkey users - the SK Beta released today no longer crashes when switching themes, so I'm finally back on SK.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Just received the beta 6 notice for my US unlocked S8+ variant. At least something to play around with while this bad weather passes lol