Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Not awesome in particular but it'll get me through a day easily.
00692a969ae8e7f7a1929147c6c2fcfd.jpg

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I would probably hold off and just wipe cache. Reset the phone after 8.0.0 drops. That said. B6 + small 136MB update we just got probably is 98% a release candidate. Though internal builds still go on and more optimizing.

Software is a guess based on past behavior and what it thinks it's reading from battery charge.

The watched pot never boils.
Too many cooks spoil the soup.
And too many widgets measuring only adds too much.
Less is more.
A lean system runs faster and better.
Would that we could turn off all those gauges telling us what the gauges see.

You could cook a CPU by never letting it sleep by always a simple ask, Are you asleep?
Some old code was not hyper-threading friendly when Intel came out (again) with h/t in the i7 920. Racing condition.

Let sleeping dogs lie.
How about during safe boot mode?
That would show ideal maximum base line.
Is it a price to pay for features you want?

SL2

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
What's the verdict after the beta testing? What do you think about Oreo so far? A must have? Worse battery? etc...

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
What's the verdict after the beta testing? What do you think about Oreo so far? A must have? Worse battery? etc...
I've loved Oreo during the beta. Not much aesthetically has changed, save for some lock screen clock options and some themes change the nav bar. Battery life has been about the same (for me at least) and the device started feeling a little smoother around beta 5. I'd say a must have.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Better and more options and control regarding status notifications. The under the hood change improvements and ground work for native Oreo. Security. I only really notice when I go back to 7.1.1 . The last phase Oreo B7 seems fine.

I’ve had some issues of late never seen before with Note which I can’t pin down. It and S8+ are nearly identical setups, makes testing and comparing easy.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I took a small battery hit but other than some issues early on, last Beta was very smooth. Now have an S8 Plus without the beta. Honestly what I miss most is the ability to unlock from AOD with OK Google and lock screen clock settings. Really good experience overall with the Beta on my S8. Like Gayle said, it's mostly under the hood stuff.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I would have to agree. The last beta was very well behaved. I had minor issues with some of the early betas but the last few were really good. Looking forward to the stable release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy