Is your Snapdragon S8/S8+ Behind on Security Updates?

Centerman66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
My two SM-G950U1's are still on the August update also. All of the equivalent carrier branded phones have received a couple updates since our unlocked phones have and there are a couple of serious security flaws that are in need of patching.
It's getting ridiculous.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
My Moto Z Play just received the October security patch while the S8 series is still waiting since August. Samsung is upto something here since they haven't held back on updates for this long before, at least not for their flagship devices.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Security Updates and "feature updates" need to remain separate. Samsung is basically saying: "we are not going to be releasing any security updates until our next major OS release"... Unacceptable.

"Buy a Pixel if you're that concerned about security updates" - I'm sure that's what many readers would say but when the biggest manufacturer/seller of Android devices doesn't protect their customers by releasing security patches in a timely manner, how are we confident that every single purchase, post, view isn't being compromised.

I know I'm over exaggerating a bit, but security updates are not feature updates. They are instrumental. Will I keep using my Samsung GS8+ even though it hasn't been patched in 3 months. Yes.

But I shouldn't have to. Patch your OS Samsung.
Very well said. Shouldn't have to "just buy a Pixel" if we want security updates and such. All major companies should be releasing that to protect us.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Are they monthly? Are they quarterly? plus out if cycle as needed? Does the rollout of Oreo impact security patches and updates?

Who hasn't at this point not gotten but still waiting for November cumulative update?

Having been on the Apple treadmill for three decades, the grass ain't greener over yonder.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I have an unlocked phone in the UK, still on August security patch. So I don't think it's unlocked getting first, seems to be no logic to who is getting it. Really poor management of the update system. Love my phone but consider a Nokia next time if Samsung do not significantly up their game. Security matters and a small company like Nokia is blowing Samsung out the water.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
UK has been getting the latest Nov patch. Odd.

Why Project Treble matters so much. And Samsung is in the midst of that now.
Any phone that while with 8.0.0 or later must.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up my new S8+ today from AT&T and I am on the July 1 security patch and showing no updates :eek:
It'll eventually come. I believe the updates are staggered and could take a while before being pushed to your device. I believe the latest patch is November 1st for AT&T ROM. If you're into ROM flashing using Odin then you can also look at flashing the unlocked G955U1 ROM. It's clean and fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma