Oreo Beta Issues Thread

jre72

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
There's a thread about the Oreo beta which is general discussion about it but I thought it may be helpful to have a dedicated thread for those experiencing issues as a result of the beta...if helpful, I can consolidate items into the OP.

Also, post up any workarounds/solutions you've found, if any.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's an early list of bugs and fixes:
https://www.gottabemobile.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-android-oreo-beta-problems-fixes/

*Some issues may be fixed by wiping the cache partition*

• Some report Swiftkey not working due to themes - uninstalling and re-installing appears to fix it
  • Nova Launcher appears to work OK - one report of icon issues, another of Samsung apps disappearing and issues editing folders
  • Some report worse battery life
  • Issues with Solid Explorer reported - stopped seeing SD card - reportedly app needs to be updated
  • Issues with Samsung Health reported, can't dismiss running in background notification
  • Issue with notification of SD card is installed after every reboot
  • Android pay reportedly not working
  • Android auto not working
  • Some hiccups with SD cards...seem to settle out after reboots and/or waiting
  • reported issues with MMS messages
  • OIS may be impacted on pics/vids
  • One report of wireless charging not working

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Battery life has taken a hit. No full screen in Youtube. Random vibrations. Using black theme from Samsung store makes text almost disappear in some apps and popups. Slight stuttering.
Going to try to go with all Samsung stuff...keyboard, launcher, internet, email, weather, etc for a bit to see if it makes any difference.

Rufinoman

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Reinstalling Swiftkey hasn't fixed the Swiftkey themes issue for me, in spite of wiping the data partition. The beta version makes no difference.
PIP doesn't work with Chrome and I believe it only works with YouTube Red if I'm not mistaken.

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone I couldn't find a thread with this exact issue I'm having,l but im currently enrolled in Android beta program on my pixel 2 xl unlocked version running 8.1, is there any way to leave the program with out a data wipe?

Lawrie Sherratt

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi mate. Go back to official software with your google backup. No one can guarantee you will loose your current settings so if that happens then go back to a previous restore from your back up cloud account. Hope this helps.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
bluetooth is messy. goes in and out while on calls. yesterday it turned itself off completely and then i could not turn it back on without a reboot.

wifi keeps giving me authentication errors on known networks.

received a call yesterday and after picking up it kept buzzing in my ear as if still ringing.

riccowboy2014

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
My biggest issue is battery life. I plan to do factory reset on Thursday or Friday. I hope it resolves my issue. I have sent in the other issues that I have encountered.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
My biggest issue is battery life. I plan to do factory reset on Thursday or Friday. I hope it resolves my issue. I have sent in the other issues that I have encountered.

Battery hit my biggest issue as well. Factory reset did not help battery, though it made everything else run more smoothly and faster.

riccowboy2014

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Battery hit my biggest issue as well. Factory reset did not help battery, though it made everything else run more smoothly and faster.

Thanks for the info. Not going to factory reset now. I'll just get rid of some apps and see if that works.My phone runs smooth and no other issues that are too terrible to endure. Hope those are fixed with an update.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Not going to factory reset now. I'll just get rid of some apps and see if that works.My phone runs smooth and no other issues that are too terrible to endure. Hope those are fixed with an update.

I'm going to ride it out until an update as well. It's not like my battery is completely tanking. Just nowhere near as good as it was pre-beta. Had a kind of funky vibration problem when Samsung keyboard kept stopping but that went away when I reinstalled SwiftKey. Overall, peppy and smooth.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
SD card notification on every reboot.

Sd card issues ongoing. File manager apps having issues seeing or accessing the card. File manager apps crashing while doing so. Write permissions to the card seem problematic.

Notification problems. When the phone is locked Nine email will give no notifications at all, either sound or LED. Gmail gives an audio notification but no LED. Samsung email client and Textra both work fine.

Battery life is worse but by no means awful as mary beth hale has stated.

The Samsung Plus and Members apps are both a bit flakey as well. Sometimes doing partial freezes and/or stuttering.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Cleared cache partition again and my battery life yesterday improved.
I do like the app pair feature on edge panels.
Samsung + app was flaky for me even prior to the beta. Both Samsung + and Members apps are slow, occasionally freeze or tell me I don't have a good internet connection.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Cleared cache partition again and my battery life yesterday improved.
I do like the app pair feature on edge panels.
Samsung + app was flaky for me even prior to the beta. Both Samsung + and Members apps are slow, occasionally freeze or tell me I don't have a good internet connection.

I'll try clearing the cache partition again. It can't hurt.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Pretty much my experience as well. The phone definitely runs better overall. The biggest problem for me is the sd card. It's like the card is remounting differently every reboot. I have to point Poweramp at the music directory every single time because it can't find the directory (the exact same one) I pointed to the last time. Once I do that it works. And shortcuts I made in Solid Explorer wouldn't work more than once saying that directory didn't exist even though I could see it.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Not using an SD card so thankfully don't have those issues.
Frankly not seeing a whole lot of change from Nougat, but since I'm not having any deal-breaker problems, I'll continue with the beta and look forward to more updates.
The phone is very fast and responsive. Smooth sailing re: performance.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Mobile Installer notification won't go away. Really annoying!

The beta was pretty glitchy at first but has seemed to settle down.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not using an SD card so thankfully don't have those issues.
Frankly not seeing a whole lot of change from Nougat, but since I'm not having any deal-breaker problems, I'll continue with the beta and look forward to more updates.
The phone is very fast and responsive. Smooth sailing re: performance.

If I didn't have the sd card issues I would be saying the same thing. For now I'm going to stick it out and pray that this is addressed in a forthcoming update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca