Oreo Beta Issues Thread

chubby22

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My issues so far are:
1) My assigned notification tones for contacts dont work in the samsung messaging app.
2) Battery life decreased
3) Had an issue with my SDCard. Message said it was corrupt and had to reformat it.
4) Cant leave feedback in members app. I get the message that my phone or account is not registered with the Galaxy Beta Program... Seen others have this as well, but no fix.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If I didn't have the sd card issues I would be saying the same thing. For now I'm going to stick it out and pray that this is addressed in a forthcoming update.

Yeah, I store stuff locally or in the cloud. I'm a light user though. My daughter, who depends on her SD card a lot, is having the same issues as you.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I store stuff locally or in the cloud. I'm a light user though. My daughter, who depends on her SD card a lot, is having the same issues as you.

I store about 70 GB of music plus some other stuff on the card. I suspect it will be addressed at some point hopefully sooner rather than later. I did send feedback to the beta program about it.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I store about 70 GB of music plus some other stuff on the card. I suspect it will be addressed at some point hopefully sooner rather than later. I did send feedback to the beta program about it.

Are you in the US? Apparently the UK got update 2 today. Hopefully US coming soon. Maybe they will address that SD card issue. Seems pretty widespread.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yup. I'm in the US. Yeah I'm hoping they fix that soon. Everything else I can deal with.

Someone on the Members app said to format your sd card on the computer then it should work. I don't know what that means, since I don't use one but maybe it makes sense to you.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Someone on the Members app said to format your sd card on the computer then it should work. I don't know what that means, since I don't use one but maybe it makes sense to you.
Thanks for the tip. I get what you mean but I'm not ready to move/backup 80 + GB over to my laptop and back. I have a lot of music and pix on the card now.

I've always thought that formating the card in the device was the preferred option but who knows?

My current plan is to see if the next update fixes anything and if it doesn't help perhaps I'll give your suggestion a try.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
SD cards fail. Why should always have other copies, local cloud, even a nice $40 USBC 3.1 own drive (150MB/s read).

Format for Oreo may have changed, tighter tolerances as to acceptable. And new disk support.

Having precious photos etc is why being prepared for disaster and recovery - esp. with beta OS.

Encrypted storage is an issue. Portable media storage should not and if it seems to be, copy to sdxc and swap card is one way to insure data and drive is intact and not corrupt.

The laptop or desktop is one way to backup plus use sdxc adapter.

Samsung MUF-64DA1/WW USB Type-C 3.1 Flash Drive, 64 GB, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXJ1K2Z/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6066185

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't keep things on the card that aren't backed up already. My 70+ GB of music lives on my NAS. I seriously doubt the card is failing as it's a new Samsung 128 GB card and was working just fine right up to when I installed the Oreo update. I don't encrypt the sd card either as I don't keep sensitive information on it. I also don't move apps to it either. It's basically there to store my music and some misc pictures locally. All my photos are backed up via Google Photos.

The good thing about sd cards is that they survive a hard reset where as internal storage will not.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Lol... My daughter said almost the same thing when I told her what I read. Unfortunately I'm SD card knowledge impaired. ;-)

I like the way she thinks! I actually decided to try reformatting the card in the phone. I'm still transferring my data back but early indications are it didn't fix anything.

One thing I am noticing is that it's mostly third party apps that are having heartburn with the card. The Samsung File Manager and Gallery app seem to work fine.

Update: Formatting the SD card in the phone and restoring my data didn't fix the isuue. Solid Explorer can't do anything with the card and still no response from the dev. Poweramp has to be pointed to the music folder after every reboot throwing up an error about not being able to find the library.

Awaiting update 2!

Update update! Installed beta 2 and still having sd card issues. No change as far as I can tell.

Some progress on the notification front. GMail still won't illuminate the LED but Nine and Textra are working properly.

Last edited:

BobDyl

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes using the earbuds results in incredibly loud static. For example, try using Google assistant to dial a number, it will fire off a deafening burst of static before carrying out the command.

[Edit: this looks like it's a known issue with Adapt Sound which may be addressed in beta 2. For now, turning Adapt Sound off fixes the issue.]

Last edited:

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes using the earbuds results in incredibly loud static. For example, try using Google assistant to dial a number, it will fire off a deafening burst of static before carrying out the command.

[Edit: this looks like it's a known issue with Adapt Sound which may be addressed in beta 2. For now, turning Adapt Sound off fixes the issue.]

Also having to reboot because of ear bud trouble.

Also keep having authentication errors with wifi.

BobDyl

May 5, 2015
Visit site
USA unlocked S8 here. Just got beta 2 this morning. Beware: the camera stopped working after the update. Had to wipe cache partition to get it back - but it did come back and appears to be working now.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I cleared my cache partition and used the "Device Maintenance" and it improved my battery life a little.

I am not expecting this to last though. We'll see how it works at the end of the month.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Had to roll back to 7.0 after beta 2 broke my phone app. Wouldn't recognize my sim. Hoping for a fix soon. Samsung aware and is apparently pausing the beta 2 rollout.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2