Put my S8+ on eBay last night, have flip-flopped back and forth but the effort to get my samsung phones running how I want is just starting to grate.

I had my S8+ running ok but to do this I have had to install a package disabler and then also flirt with greenify and/or the adb command to stop apps running in the background. Using a package Disabler does make me a little nervous as this is an app that requires a whole load of permissions to work.

Even after all of that it is still not as slick as the Pixel 2 I had for a week or so (or the OP5 for that matter). I still think they make the best android hardware but I think that Samsung’s obsession with all that bloat makes their devices less attractive not more. They could I guess give us a half way house with the option to disable them all but I do not see that happening.
    11-06-2017 02:45 AM
    you are better off selling your phone off of swappa then ebay site https://swappa.com/?ref=mobilenation...cUvbUpU6056190 much better and safer too sell stuff on that site then on ebay no seller fees and less of a ch of some one riping you off after they get it and opening a claim
    neil74 likes this.
    11-06-2017 02:51 AM
    I’m UK based though!
    11-06-2017 02:53 AM
    Put my S8+ on eBay last night, have flip-flopped back and forth but the effort to get my samsung phones running how I want is just starting to grate.

I had my S8+ running ok but to do this I have had to install a package disabler and then also flirt with greenify and/or the adb command to stop apps running in the background. Using a package Disabler does make me a little nervous as this is an app that requires a whole load of permissions to work.

Even after all of that it is still not as slick as the Pixel 2 I had for a week or so (or the OP5 for that matter). I still think they make the best android hardware but I think that Samsung’s obsession with all that bloat makes their devices less attractive not more. They could I guess give us a half way house with the option to disable them all but I do not see that happening.
    I thought about doing the same thing but I would have to give up too many features. Between ip68,headphone jack,wireless quick charging, Samsung Pay and expandable storage to me outweigh slightly better camera and smoother software. To me it doesn't really matter what version software is on the phone as long as it works correctly
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    11-06-2017 10:10 AM
    I thought about doing the same thing but I would have to give up too many features. Between ip68,headphone jack,wireless quick charging, Samsung Pay and expandable storage to me outweigh slightly better camera and smoother software. To me it doesn't really matter what version software is on the phone as long as it works correctly
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not downgrading for a slightly smoother experience.
    dlalonde likes this.
    11-06-2017 10:21 AM
    I feel you, my S8 keeps having micro lags that infuriate me. tapping home or even just anything requires a half second to a full second lag. I am not wiping my entire phone just so it can be Day 1 fast again, this device is a few months old this shouldn't be happening on a flagship device. Anyway I am with you I am looking for a way out either the Pixel 2 Xl or just use my company iphone 6s which has horrible battery life lol.

I'm sorry Sammy, I love your screens and the hardware is top notch but your software hinders and lags behind. Bix-b-gone
    11-07-2017 10:22 AM
    I feel you, my S8 keeps having micro lags that infuriate me. tapping home or even just anything requires a half second to a full second lag. I am not wiping my entire phone just so it can be Day 1 fast again, this device is a few months old this shouldn't be happening on a flagship device. Anyway I am with you I am looking for a way out either the Pixel 2 Xl or just use my company iphone 6s which has horrible battery life lol.

I'm sorry Sammy, I love your screens and the hardware is top notch but your software hinders and lags behind. Bix-b-gone
    Or just run device maintenance and set the animations to 0.5 speed to match the speed of animation on other phones. Samsung's default animations at 1.0 is slower than other devices, but setting it to 0.5 matches standard animation speeds.
    11-07-2017 10:33 AM
    I set animations straight out of the box, always do. I just think that Samsung cannot help themselves with all that bloat (and they are not the only one) but in my experience standby battery performance has always been lacking on Samsung phones vs other android devices and that lag almost always creeps in. The pixel and OP5 absolutely fly in comparison but to be fair you may not notice unless you use both.
    11-07-2017 04:25 PM
    This is my. 4th Samsung started with Note II. First one with excellent battery life. The Nite 8 has best memory management but the S8+ does admirably.

Bloat sounds like a cheap shot. If that it had to be tweaked to be okay. If that all apps installed are clean and fine(Facebook is a hog).
    mary beth hale likes this.
    11-07-2017 05:50 PM
    I set animations straight out of the box, always do. I just think that Samsung cannot help themselves with all that bloat (and they are not the only one) but in my experience standby battery performance has always been lacking on Samsung phones vs other android devices and that lag almost always creeps in. The pixel and OP5 absolutely fly in comparison but to be fair you may not notice unless you use both.
    Bloat is subjective. Some people use those features. I remember when people used to call multiwindow a gimmick and bloat.

If you don't use it, disable it.

But the you also have to consider that despite using the same processor, the Samsung handsets are underclocked compared to competition. They run at 2.3Ghz compared to 2.45Ghz of other phones like the Pixels, OP5 or v30.

Plus if you set the animation faster, but also do that for a competing phone, then it's moot. As I said, Samsung animations are slower by design. So 1.0.Samsung is slower than 1.0 OP5. If you set both to 0.5, nothing changes.
    11-07-2017 05:57 PM
    I can't compare to the Pixel or OP5 but stand-by battery (before I joined the Oreo Beta) was fantastic on my S8. Actually was great on all of my Samsung phones with the exception of the Note 5. Do you perhaps have stuff running in the background that could be running amok? I disable anything I don't use re: "bloat" and enjoy the rest of the features. Hope you can use whichever phone you most enjoy. We all enjoy different stuff. It's subjective,
    11-07-2017 06:06 PM
    I do think that Samsung make the best android hardware so hopefully they will take notice of what I think is significant demand for faster updates over proprietary features. The pixels are proving popular and other manufacturers such as OP and essential ship with stockish android. There has certainly been more noise about it this year than I can remember.

Or maybe Samsung’s approach to compete is just throw more and more features at their phones?

Nobody wants Bixby for a start, completely in-necessary.
    11-08-2017 02:18 AM
    I feel your pain. Got an S8 at launch (came from a 6P) and regretted it for the first month or so. Had random reboots, bought a package disabler to turn off Bixby, and noticed the overall slower responsiveness even after reducing the animation in dev settings.

However, things have settled down for the last 3 months or so. Not sure why, I don't think Samsung released any OS updates in that time. The only dislikes I still have are the stock phone dialer and contacts app. I tried installing other versions, but because my contacts are tied in to an Exchange server at work it looked like it was going to create duplicates of my 1,100 contacts so I chickened out.

All that being said, if the next pixel can just (please, for the love of God) add in wireless charging and don't barf up the OLED screen, I will switch. I think Google will have to add in wireless charging now that iphones are going to have it. I also need to see the screen in full-noon daylight. I cannot go back to a crappy screen after the S8. That 6P screen totally washed out in any kind of light.
    11-08-2017 05:48 AM