Once Sprint unlocks my Samsung S8 Plus will it function on any carrier obviously with their sim card? Or to be more specific AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile.
    11-20-2017 05:21 PM
    Once Sprint unlocks my Samsung S8 Plus will it function on any carrier obviously with their sim card? Or to be more specific AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile.
    I don't believe it will work with just installing a new SIM for the local carriers. It works well internationally but can't verify with local carriers. This was the case when I had the Note 4 and it did not work with just another SIM. I think you might have to do some additional things to get it to work.

Maybe someone with a better experience than mine can help.
    11-20-2017 05:40 PM
    I believe it will function on any carrier, as I believe Samsung made all phones unlocked after the S7's. All you have to do is pay it off.
    11-20-2017 05:51 PM
    I paid for it in full when I purchased it back in May.
    11-20-2017 05:58 PM
    Your phone uses CDMA technology. And it might not work on all network.

I recommend you check first if the new network you wish to use accept your phone. Otherwise, you will pay a service which won't help you too much!
    11-21-2017 02:20 AM
    The only carrier it would work with is Verizon (AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM, not CDMA), and it won't have the LTE bands that Verizon uses, so you'll get voice and text. (And Verizon usually won't allow a Sprint phone on their network - it has to have one of Verizon's ESNs.)
    11-21-2017 10:21 PM
    Yes. Once Sprint unlocks it, it'll work anywhere.
    cbs1507 and badcat like this.
    11-22-2017 01:19 AM
    The only carrier it would work with is Verizon (AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM, not CDMA), and it won't have the LTE bands that Verizon uses, so you'll get voice and text. (And Verizon usually won't allow a Sprint phone on their network - it has to have one of Verizon's ESNs.)
    That is not true. It will work on ANY carrier. All he needs is an activated SIM.
    11-22-2017 01:23 AM
    Your phone uses CDMA technology. And it might not work on all network.

I recommend you check first if the new network you wish to use accept your phone. Otherwise, you will pay a service which won't help you too much!
    Not a true statement.
    11-22-2017 01:24 AM
    I believe it will function on any carrier, as I believe Samsung made all phones unlocked after the S7's. All you have to do is pay it off.
    Actually, it started with the Nexus (maybe even earlier). Since 2012, almost all smartphones sold in the US, had GSM, CDMA, and LTE radios enabled. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and subsequent Verizon Galaxy Note II, were GSM capable.
    11-22-2017 01:28 AM
    I had Sprint unlock the phone on Tuesday went to T-Mobile on Wednesday the gave me a sim and a code number. On first boot about 15 seconds in it asks for the code then continues on and the phone is functional but without any T-Mobile apps. About 10 minutes later it shows a software update is available and it's a 780 meg download, once done it's a fully functional T-Mobile phone including their voicemail app and bloatware. Works perfectly so obviously this phone supports both network types. When I look at about phone it shows everything functioning as it should including October security update, Brand now says T-Mobile instead of Sprint and device status shows official.
    11-23-2017 03:54 PM
    That's great.
    11-23-2017 04:10 PM
    11-23-2017 11:17 PM
    I agree because of all the different opinions I wasn't certain what was going to happen. Looks like gernerttl nailed it, he was correct from the unset. Thank you. Nice to know I can now choose any carrier at anytime when you call them with an unlocked phone you get different group and that customer service is of the highest level. They paid to next day air the sim card to me and waved the set up fee without asking. Still working perfectly.
    mary beth hale and gernerttl like this.
    11-24-2017 09:16 AM
    That is not true. It will work on ANY carrier. All he needs is an activated SIM.
    Will they work on any network whether CDMA or GSM?
    01-17-2018 05:04 PM
    Will they work on any network whether CDMA or GSM?
    Yes. The phone has all of the necessary bands.
    01-17-2018 05:52 PM
    I unlock phones for a living and can verify that it will. Commonly in my area most Unlock them to run on Cricket. But that’s awesome to know T-Mobile pushes that software out.
    01-17-2018 08:44 PM
    Actually, it started with the Nexus (maybe even earlier). Since 2012, almost all smartphones sold in the US, had GSM, CDMA, and LTE radios enabled. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and subsequent Verizon Galaxy Note II, were GSM capable.
    i've had my s7 for several years & i'd like to unlock my s7 (sprint), however i wish to remain a sprint customer. is that possible?
    01-22-2018 08:42 AM
    i've had my s7 for several years & i'd like to unlock my s7 (sprint), however i wish to remain a sprint customer. is that possible?
    Yes you can
    gernerttl likes this.
    01-22-2018 08:49 AM
    Yes. You'll have to contact Sprint. There is some criteria you have to meet. Like how much (if any) you owe on the phone and if you are still under contract.
    01-24-2018 02:12 AM
    i have never had luck getting a Sprint phone to work on AT&T or Tmobile, and Sprint assures me it will and after hours of trying to figure it out i gave up.
    01-24-2018 07:19 AM
    Maggie are you referring to an S8? I went from Sprint to T-Mobile and all it took was inserting the SIM card T-Mobile gave me then a few minutes later I got a notice saying a software update was available so I installed it and it was T-Mobile firmware. Every function including voicemail works perfectly it's going on 2 months and it was much easier then I expected. You do have an unlocked phone right?
    01-26-2018 06:17 PM