storage space used up as soon as phone setup started

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey all!!! I've been googling this one and I can't find a correct answer.

The wife had a S6 edge with 32Gb of storage on an AT&T phone.

I found a T-mobile unlocked S8+ with 64Gb and bought it for her....

She had 1 Gb still available on the S6

The thing is that as soon as I start setting up the S8+ the available storage starts disappearing and in no time is all used up.

The first time I thought there was something wrong so I did a reset... right after that I had 54Gb available of the 64Gb.
I started restoring some apps (whatsapp) and some app updates and before I was even halfway the whole 64Gb were used.

I looked under maintainance/storage and CANT really see anything weird. Adding up all the categories in there does not get even close to 64Gb... so..

So I'm not even half way migrating the 31Gb she had on the S6, but it has already taken the whole 64Gb on the S8+!!!!!!

What the heck is going on???

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Watch what apps you install and use the ad card for med i a files.

Only install f o r now essential stuff, and from Goog lk e or Samsung play stores.

If it was me id also monitor the system and apps installed with Malwarebytes

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Phone is Samsung SM-955U in case that matters.

Went into recovery mode and wiped the cache partition and reseted the user data.
Booted the phone and entered basic data = 54.92 GB available.
I login to my WiFi and went down to 54.65GB!!!!!!
Signing in to WiFi should not use that much space right?

Just by signing into google play (Before updating ANY app), brought it down to 46.59GB!!!!

There has to be something wrong with the phone... I bought it on Craigslist, but checked everything I could find online to make sure it is not a fake... connector is C type, camera and FP reader are on the rigth place, Phone is unlocked (i tried it with my AT&T sim card and was able to make calls receive texts and data)
The other thing I notice is that it takes forever to charge..

what did I miss?

Last edited:

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
About that app:

This is a tool for Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 & Note 2/3/4 users to check if their phone isn't a cheap fake clone. It highlights device information that does not match Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5/Note 2/Note 3/Note 4 and helps users to tell if their phone is genuine.

Last updated in 2015.

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Run Genuine Galaxy - Phone Info to see if the phone is fake or not.

At very worst, back up what you've loaded to it, reflash the ROM ([Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN) and restore what you backed up.

It seems that I dodged that bullet... it says, it is a Samsung SM-G955F with Qualcomm Snapdragon 835... (Weird... I thought I had the Exynos)

I have tried all the other suggestions and I'm still getting the same crap... I guess that the next step is to flash a new ROM.... I might give it a try to the AT&T stock rom since I;m going to use it on that carrier...
ALL in favor? any better light and stable ROM to flash?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Phone is Samsung SM-955U in case that matters.

Went into recovery mode and wiped the cache partition and reseted the user data.
Booted the phone and entered basic data = 54.92 GB available.
I login to my WiFi and went down to 54.65GB!!!!!!
Signing in to WiFi should not use that much space right?

Just by signing into google play (Before updating ANY app), brought it down to 46.59GB!!!!

There has to be something wrong with the phone... I bought it on Craigslist, but checked everything I could find online to make sure it is not a fake... connector is C type, camera and FP reader are on the rigth place, Phone is unlocked (i tried it with my AT&T sim card and was able to make calls receive texts and data)
The other thing I notice is that it takes forever to charge..

what did I miss?

edit: I can't read I thought we were talking about like 300MB of data not 10GB.

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
edit: I can't read I thought we were talking about like 300MB of data not 10GB.

Yep... I tried using a clean Gmail account (meaning that has not been used in any device so it does not have anything to restore) to update google play, and it is still doing the same crap.

Another weird thing is that the phone would not go into download mode but rather enter some "factory mode"

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
The "About Phone" page calls for a SM-G955U but every other checker that I have tried (Antutu, genuine galaxy, etc) says it is a SM-G955F...

Really do not know...

Under About Phone>Device status...does it say official or custom? Did you buy it used?
Wondering if someone flashed something screwy

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Under About Phone>Device status...does it say official or custom? Did you buy it used?
Wondering if someone flashed something screwy

DAMN... I'm screwed... it does not have that section "Device Status"... (I had to look for it on my S6 so see where was supposed to be.)
The last section on the S8+ is "Up time"

The phone was supposed to be "Mint condition"... and aesthetically looks perfect.
I'm probably screwed, right?

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Now if the phone is a fake, how could it show as a Samsung SM-G955F on the Genuine Galaxy APP???

So in the pictures below... is this a super good fake? or is an official Samsung phone that somebody screwed up flashing something on it?
Here are some pictures

The phone would not go into Download mode but It would get into "Factory Mode"
PLmh7sz.jpg

Antutu saying is a G955F
udxnGSJ.jpg

About phone saying is a 955U
TBeV7Bf.jpg

Genuine Galaxy saying is a 955F
YQ49n0L.jpg

No Status section
NnNO7Og.jpg

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
It says Exynos in antutu pic and snapdragon 835 in Galaxy pic. If Exynos, would be international. Also, the build # looks funky and security patch is very old.
You said it was an unlocked T-Mobile. Do you get a T-Mobile start up screen?
Something is wrong.

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
It says Exynos in antutu pic and 835 in Galaxy pic. If Exynos, would be international. Also, the build # looks funky.

I noticed the same and was a struggle I was having when deciding what stock ROM to flash it with... I never got to that part because I could not go into Downloading mode....

Is it there a definitive way to know if it is a good phone or a fake?
The phone looks legit on the outside.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
So you can't get to download mode... Volume down>Bixby button and power button?
Can you get into recovery mode to reset... Volume up>Bixby button>power button?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol