storage space used up as soon as phone setup started

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So you can't get to download mode... Volume down>Bixby button and power button?
Can you get into recovery mode to reset... Volume up>Bixby button>power button?

Exactly!!!! Volume down>Bixby button and power button will bring you to the "Factory mode" that you see in the first picture.

Volume up>Bixby button>power button will let you in Recovery mode. I did a factory reset but it did not fix a THING!!!

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Damn. You may very well be screwed. Have you checked the imei#?

Not sure what you mean by "checking" the IMEI...the IMEI on the phone matched the one on the box, and AT&T did not have any problem with it when I called to activate it.
I tried my AT&T and it worked fine...

Any suggestions?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, if AT&T activated it the imei must be clean. Sorry, don't know what else to suggest. Where did you purchase it from? Can you contact that site?

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Not being able to get into download mode to reflash really shuts down your options.

feel ashamed to say, but I got it from Craigslist... I know, I know... I kind of deserve it...
Agree on the lack of Download mode screwing my options.... I was hoping someone more experienced than me could have an alternative...

So, are we sure it is a Fake?

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Well.. I deserved it...
I would swear that the first IMEI on the phone matched the one on the box... no they dont...
The 2 IMEIs on the phone are invalid

I know it does not matter but the one on the box is of a Samsung SM-G950U...

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
After reading the OP and all the responses, I'm leaning towards the previous owner installed a custom ROM.

Here's a link with instructions to restore it back to a stock ROM.

https://www.naldotech.com/flash-official-firmware-samsung-galaxy-s8-s8-revert-stock/

Another option is take it to an AT&T store and see if they can factory reset it.

Problem is that, every method I was able to find online to flash the phone needs to get in download mode and this phone does not have download mode..
If you press power+vol down+bixby it goes into "Factory mode" (who knows what the heck is that)

emudryj

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
OK.. I have some news.. not good.
On the "Factory mode" there was a "Clear eMMC", I did not have anything much else to lose so I tried it...
When the phone booted back up the Tmobile splash screen was gone.
On the Settings-About page, the model number now shows H19
I tried downloading the Galaxy Genuine app and see what it would say.
Brand: alps
Model: DS-H19
CPU Hardware:MT6580
CPU Model: ARMv7 Processor rev3 (v71)
CPU Frequnecy: 2360Mhz
CPU Cores 4
Total RAM: 3.77GB
Total ROM: 62.46GB
Screen Res: 1015*540
Screen DPI:260
Camera Res:12.19MP
Front Camera: 7.99MP
Android Ver: 7.0

Not really sure how much that could help... but the phone seems to be a tiny bit more responsive than before.
I still have to see if the storage problem still persist.
At least I would like to be able to keep the phone as a spare...