Just received this pop up. I've been receiving them recently, but this one is for a different app.

What do we do about this?

"Close apps causing performance issues?
    com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox is causing performance issues that could drain your battery or cause other apps to run slowly.
    Don't show again for 7 days
    Cancel Close app"
    11-28-2017 12:28 PM
    Be careful with that it might be a virus. I recently got a similar message when I was in Chrome and had to disable Chrome and reactivate Chrome to get it to go away.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    11-28-2017 02:40 PM
    Samsung Internet. Ad some blocker extensions. Use private mode for surfing unknown web domains.

Chrome us a known quantity and more easily attacked. More likely adware that can be hosted on even trustworthy sites.
    mary beth hale and badcat like this.
    11-28-2017 02:54 PM
    Just received this pop up. I've been receiving them recently, but this one is for a different app.

What do we do about this?

"Close apps causing performance issues?
    com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox is causing performance issues that could drain your battery or cause other apps to run slowly.
    Don't show again for 7 days
    Cancel Close app"
    Have you downloaded any apps from Cheetah Mobile, like Clean Master or Battery Doctor? (they have a lot of others, too)
    CM is bad about pop-ups.
    Anything from them is unnecessary and best avoided.
    Tim1954 and badcat like this.
    11-28-2017 05:59 PM
    Samsung Internet. Ad some blocker extensions. Use private mode for surfing unknown web domains.

Chrome us a known quantity and more easily attacked. More likely adware that can be hosted on even trustworthy sites.
    Switched to Samsung Internet with an ad blocker last month and love it.
    pblakk and badcat like this.
    11-28-2017 06:27 PM
    Switched to Samsung Internet with an ad blocker last month and love it.
    My experience parallels MB's.
    mary beth hale and badcat like this.
    11-28-2017 07:39 PM
    Have you downloaded any apps from Cheetah Mobile, like Clean Master or Battery Doctor? (they have a lot of others, too)
    CM is bad about pop-ups.
    Anything from them is unnecessary and best avoided.
    Just noticed that when I tap storage in Device Manager, it says "powered by Clean Master". Guess the joke's on me;-)
    11-29-2017 08:34 AM
    WTF Samsung! Don't trust CM and here you are giving them Top billing?
    mary beth hale likes this.
    11-29-2017 09:11 AM
    WTF Samsung! Don't trust CM and here you are giving them Top billing?
    Well Samsung only uses the cleaning engine, not the entire thing. Just like how AVG is actually using the Avast AV engine, or ZoneAlarm is using the Kaspersky antivirus engine. But all the data they get doesn't go to Kaspersky.

I agree though that Samsung seemingly promoting CM would make things bad. But I think that's changed since Nougat? My S7 originally came with a cleaner from Clean Master but after update it became McAfee.
    11-29-2017 10:14 AM
    But I think that's changed since Nougat? My S7 originally came with a cleaner from Clean Master but after update it became McAfee.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember having a Cheetah cleaner app pre-installed on a past Galaxy.
    badcat likes this.
    11-29-2017 11:04 AM
    I have been using Samsung Internet myself and really like it too. Also been using it on my Tab S2.
    11-29-2017 02:17 PM
    A VPN app will help here too. I use Private Internet Access (PIA), a friend recommended it. It doesn't use a lot of battery, nor have I seen it slow down my connection. It costs $40 for a one year subscription. I installed it on my S8+, Tab S2, Surface Pro 3, and HP Desktop, as well as my daughter's S5 and Tab S2, and laptop.

You can download a Chrome extension for it too. Not sure about FireFox or other browsers.
    11-29-2017 02:47 PM