Why is the system data on my brand new galaxy s8 taking up 14.5gb out of the initial 64gb?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just got the new galaxy s8 a couple days ago, I've been trying to figure out as to why the system data has taken what seems to be a ludicrous 14.5gb of data out of my initial 64gb. I realize that most smartphones don't start with the exact amount of storage with a few gigs missing here and there, however, I think this may be a bit much. Can anyone help me?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have 49GB free. Mine is unlocked though, so no carrier bloat. I also don't have a lot of apps.
There is quite a bit of Samsung stuff enabled on a new phone that you may not need as well.

Rob81

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I have 49GB free. Mine is unlocked though, so no carrier bloat. I also don't have a lot of apps.
There is quite a bit of Samsung stuff enabled on a new phone that you may not need as well.

Same, however I turned off all installers and notifications just to be sure things aren't downloading in the background without my permission.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I looked at mine from the start, but not do we have a number of initial apps pre loaded like all of samsungs and oculus libraries, but as soon as those apps update you now have 2x the data use because it won't overwrite the original installation, that stuff is write protected. So after updating everything I can see 14gb being used.

Rob81

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Can't say I looked at mine from the start, but not do we have a number of initial apps pre loaded like all of samsungs and oculus libraries, but as soon as those apps update you now have 2x the data use because it won't overwrite the original installation, that stuff is write protected. So after updating everything I can see 14gb being used.

As long as it's a feasible amount to sustain all the updates needed for the OS, I'm alright with that. It's in no way a deal breaker now that I've purchased said phone, but I'm definitely going to keep an sd card handy for this one. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer