Where is Device Management?

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > Device Maintenance. Once you've found it, you can tap the 3-dot Menu at top right to add a shortcut to the Home screen.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Settings > Device Maintenance. Once you've found it, you can tap the 3-dot Menu at top right to add a shortcut to the Home screen.

I looked at it 100 and 1 times but didn't realize I had to select the 3 dots to go into "Advanced" settings. What a stupid non-intuitive design. I believe I got it. I turned off fast-charging.

I don't want to hit the battery with several Amps. I wonder how many mili-Amps the "slow" mode is throwing at it.
In terms of battery longevity, charging it overnight makes the most sense.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Charging a Lithium battery at more than its capacity (IOW, for the S8+, more than 3.5 Amps, will destroy it very quickly - and Samsung would have to build a few new "battery replacement centers", so they're most likely keeping it at 3.4 Amps or less. And constantly charging it at 3.4 Amps (which fast charging doesn't do - it tapers off starting at about 50%) won't harm it at all. A 3,500mAh battery is designed to accept a 3.5 Amp charge. (It's called a 1C charge - 1 times the capacity of the battery, and that's been the maximum safe charge for lithium batteries since they were invented. They're working on faster charging lithiums - imagine a car running on lithium batteries and you drive cross-country. You'd be watching hawks make circles in the sky for a couple of hours while your car recharges.

But anything under 1C these days is safe. And a full charge at 1C, from 0% (which you should never do - it kills the battery quickly) to 100% should take about 90 minutes. So if you're putting "half a day's charge" into a battery in 30 minutes, you're far from exceeding 1C.)

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Charging a Lithium battery at more than its capacity (IOW, for the S8+, more than 3.5 Amps, will destroy it very quickly - and Samsung would have to build a few new "battery replacement centers", so they're most likely keeping it at 3.4 Amps or less. And constantly charging it at 3.4 Amps (which fast charging doesn't do - it tapers off starting at about 50%) won't harm it at all. A 3,500mAh battery is designed to accept a 3.5 Amp charge. (It's called a 1C charge - 1 times the capacity of the battery, and that's been the maximum safe charge for lithium batteries since they were invented. They're working on faster charging lithiums - imagine a car running on lithium batteries and you drive cross-country. You'd be watching hawks make circles in the sky for a couple of hours while your car recharges.

But anything under 1C these days is safe. And a full charge at 1C, from 0% (which you should never do - it kills the battery quickly) to 100% should take about 90 minutes. So if you're putting "half a day's charge" into a battery in 30 minutes, you're far from exceeding 1C.)

A great explanation. Thanks.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I looked at it 100 and 1 times but didn't realize I had to select the 3 dots to go into "Advanced" settings. What a stupid non-intuitive design.

I agree it's not the most intuitive way of indicating additional options. I recall reading somewhere that it's based on the grammar tool ellipsis (...) to indicate something omitted or to be continued... a minimalist approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz