New Android user need some help with settings :)

Cutepuppie

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Quick story. I'm an iPhone user for 8 years but decide to change because iPhone really does suck now and every model they make is literally the same. Anyway enough of rambling.

I just got my S8 plus today and woow its so goddam beautiful! I am loving it!

However I am having some problems.

Why is it that I have to press the home screen twice to unlock the pin code? (I use the 4 pin code to unlock my phone) I want just to touch the screen once or if possible when the screen turns on it will automatically let me enter 4 pins, instead of me pressing the home button twice. Also in regards to the pin code, how do I just enter the '4 digits' and NOT pressing 'OK' afterwards? I don't want to press 'OK' because that is basically a 5 digit pin because if I dont press 'OK' it won't unlock.

Also in google chrome how do I remove tabs without manually pressing it? On the iPhone you can 'SWIPE DOWN and RIGHT' to remove current tab. How do I do this?

Sorry for my bad english I really appreciate the help. If I miss anything important that i should know please tell me :D
Thank you

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
When you created the unlock pin code there is an option to not require "ok."

I use longer pin code. Not having to use OK makes it easier to guess.

I would delete and create a new pin code even if same.

I don't use Chrome. Handy for bookmarks. I do use Canary chrome build. Samsung Internet is popular fast and supports ad blockers, which chrome does not. But amazing how fast Canary is when you turn off JavaScript. Some sites don't load but those that, wow. And, no ads!

novahob

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Chrome. Tap the tab number, so number in square. You'll then get all your open tabs, you can then swipe them away.

Pin unlock, I have a S8 and can't find an option to get the OK button to not show. Where's the setting, as nothing appears when changing pin code?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Samsungs have that option. I've never seen it. Part of why Android wants that OK button is that Android can have varying length passcodes, and that it takes into account possible mistypes. Imagine using an 8 digit code then you mistype the last digit and the phone just reads it and you get locked out or something. The Ok button to me is a great thing. If you don't want to use an ok button, just use pattern unlock or fingerprint. You can set pattern to make the code invisible.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Should have prefaced by saying...
With Oreo you can use pin code and has the option when created to not require "ok"

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi sorry what is this Oreo? Cookie? I'm serious lol. Anyway, there is an option to remove OK?

LOL... Oreo 8.0 is the latest version of Android. Most phones are on Nougat 7.0 or 7.1. Samsung has an Oreo Beta program going on that some of us are a part of currently. Gayle Lynn is taking part in the Beta and thus the reference to Oreo.

Cutepuppie

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
LOL... Oreo 8.0 is the latest version of Android. Most phones are on Nougat 7.0 or 7.1. Samsung has an Oreo Beta program going on that some of us are a part of currently. Gayle Lynn is taking part in the Beta and thus the reference to Oreo.

Oh i see I see. Thank you hahaha. When is Oreo coming out in Europe? Also I forgot to ask. When I watch a video online for example when I use google chrome and I watch a stream on chrome, the video length is always showing on the bottom of the screen and its very anoying, how do I remove this?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh i see I see. Thank you hahaha. When is Oreo coming out in Europe? Also I forgot to ask. When I watch a video online for example when I use google chrome and I watch a stream on chrome, the video length is always showing on the bottom of the screen and its very anoying, how do I remove this?

Wish I could help with the online video problem, but I use Samsung Internet instead of chrome.
Re: having to press OK in previous post... I use fingerprint exclusively so haven't come across that.
Have you tried Smart Lock? I've got mine set to be unlocked at home so I don't need to use any security there. I simply hard press home button from AOD screen or swipe from lock screen.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Peach Pie or Pecan? It will be 9.0 next and name with "P."

Is the video in full screen? If you just click inside the video doesn't it go away, the timeline? Can you use YouTube for those?

Chrome simply allows too many ads, pop-ups, all those ad dollars/pounds.

Oreo needs months more of testing. Plus I'm not a phone of a "zero" release. Google has an 8.1 out already on Pixel phone. (Apple is hammering away at iOS 11.2.1 trying it's darnedest to get that working).

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello! welcome to the Galaxy S8 world hopefully we can answer most if not all your questions.

From what I have seen there's no option to turn off the "OK" button, a somewhat solution would be to use the pattern unlock. Soon as your finger let's off the screen from the pattern the phone unlocks! no ok button required!

If I understand you correctly you wanna swipe to get to the tabs and swipe away to delete them?

You can pull the address bar down on chrome and it'll show all your tabs and you can swipe away (on the samesung browser you could swipe away tabs but only after pressing the tabs button)

On both chrome and the Samsung internet browser you could swipe left or right on the address bar to quickly move from tab to tab

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Wish I could help with the online video problem, but I use Samsung Internet instead of chrome.
Re: having to press OK in previous post... I use fingerprint exclusively so haven't come across that.
Have you tried Smart Lock? I've got mine set to be unlocked at home so I don't need to use any security there. I simply hard press home button from AOD screen or swipe from lock screen.

That's a great option and also set trusted bluetooth devices. Mines set to stay unlocked around my PC and when I get into my car

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Long time iPhone, iDevice, Mac everything user here also. Just be patient and give yourself time to adapt. Also there are a TON of YouTube videos that can help. Just make you a snack and grab a beverage of your choice and sit back a binge watch videos on the Galaxy S8+:cool:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Long time iPhone, iDevice, Mac everything user here also. Just be patient and give yourself time to adapt. Also there are a TON of YouTube videos that can help. Just make you a snack and grab a beverage of your choice and sit back a binge watch videos on the Galaxy S8+:cool:

Good advice!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084