10-09-2018 06:49 PM
64 123
tools
    badcat - I'm trying to transfer from s6 to s8 using SMS BR, got the phones to talk to each other but won't let me transfer JUST messages, only the whole back up from s6. What am I doing wrong? I tried to transfer from google drive but the s8 would only recognize the s8 back up, wouldn't look for the s6 back up.
    12-09-2017 03:57 PM
    You have to point SMS B&R to the backup. When you are at the Restore Backup screen tap select another backup and browse to the directory the backup is in. Maybe just pull the backup down from Google Drive and leave it in the Download directory then point SMS B&R to the Download directory.

Also if you're having an issue try tapping the three dots in the upper right hand corner and select "Use System Browser". Then you will be able to access any directory you can normally access as a user.
    12-09-2017 04:07 PM
    You have to point SMS B&R to the backup. When you are at the Restore Backup screen tap select another backup and browse to the directory the backup is in. Maybe just pull the backup down from Google Drive and leave it in the Download directory then point SMS B&R to the Download directory.

Also if you're having an issue try tapping the three dots in the upper right hand corner and select "Use System Browser". Then you will be able to access any directory you can normally access as a user.
    Figured it out. So sorry to bother you so much, this has been a nightmare, all while trying to do regular daily stuff, etc. I'm currently waiting for it to populate and hoping it does - will update later. Thanks a ton, as always.
    badcat likes this.
    12-09-2017 04:37 PM
    Figured it out. So sorry to bother you so much, this has been a nightmare, all while trying to do regular daily stuff, etc. I'm currently waiting for it to populate and hoping it does - will update later. Thanks a ton, as always.
    No problem. Let's hope that this works and you are all set! 😊
    12-09-2017 05:15 PM
    So far not going well....seems nothing ever works for me. I only got back a few of the messages. It said it restored all of them. And messaging isn't doing anything. I figured I would look at it every half hour or so and there would be more messages coming in but it hasn't moved. All that's there are the ones I didn't delete and a few from 2015. Nothing is populating. I tried what SMS said - turn the phone off and on and open messaging and still nothing. Hoping that maybe soon something will start, if not I'm about ready to give up. Ticked to the max.
    12-09-2017 06:39 PM
    So far not going well....seems nothing ever works for me. I only got back a few of the messages. It said it restored all of them. And messaging isn't doing anything. I figured I would look at it every half hour or so and there would be more messages coming in but it hasn't moved. All that's there are the ones I didn't delete and a few from 2015. Nothing is populating. I tried what SMS said - turn the phone off and on and open messaging and still nothing. Hoping that maybe soon something will start, if not I'm about ready to give up. Ticked to the max.
    I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I've never experienced any difficulty with SMS B&R. I'm afraid I don't know what else to try.
    12-09-2017 07:01 PM
    What is advanced messaging and would that cause a problem? I remember seeing a pop up saying something about it doesn't transfer advanced messaging. I went into my messaging app (verizon) and clicked on advanced and I do have a few things checked off there like - request receipt, notifications during call, continuously send location, auto retrieve and roaming auto retrieve. Would that cause an issue?
    12-09-2017 07:09 PM
    What is advanced messaging and would that cause a problem? I remember seeing a pop up saying something about it doesn't transfer advanced messaging. I went into my messaging app (verizon) and clicked on advanced and I do have a few things checked off there like - request receipt, notifications during call, continuously send location, auto retrieve and roaming auto retrieve. Would that cause an issue?
    Yes advanced messaging will cause a problem. Try opening your SMS with a different app on your old phone after you disable the advanced messaging features. Just try Google messages or the free version of Textra. Just to see if the messages look correct.
    12-09-2017 07:14 PM
    I just disabled on both phones. Used samsung messages on old phone and all messages look ok. Should I do a new back up now and then restore with the s8 using the new back up?
    12-09-2017 07:25 PM
    Yeah that seems like a good idea. I don't have experience with advanced messaging so I can't say how it might impact the SMS DB. That might be the root of the problem.
    12-09-2017 07:29 PM
    Can't hurt - will update shortly.
    12-09-2017 07:35 PM
    I am in serious confusion. Haven't tried doing a restore yet. Was in vzw messages+ (my default) and hit restore in settings foolishly. It started bringing in some of my messages, again not all. Figured I'd better wait awhile to see what happens. For some reason some of the recent messages that I did not delete are now gone. I then went into samsung messages and they are there. WTH? I'm so lost. I really don't want to do a factory reset but something just isn't right. Why did the recent messages disappear from vzw messages yet they are still in samsung messages? And strangely, all the pictures and mms's that are missing in vzw are in the samsung message app. Also, just to test I deleted one whole conversation (just two recent messages) from vzw messages then went to SMS BR and asked it to restore just from 11/9 (that's the date it offered instead of all messages) forward - it did it and said it was around 200 messages - they are not in vzw messages. Where did they go? I'm so confused. Think I should try uninstalling vzw messages and reinstalling (if it will let me)?
    12-09-2017 10:01 PM
    I don't use Verizon Messaging so I can't say how it works. I would just keep things as simple as possible. Most likely if the messages still show up in Samsung Messaging then they are still in the Sms db. Make Samsung Messaging the default app on both phones for the time being. Then do your backup on the old phone and restore on the new one. Take the Verizon app out of the picture until you get things sorted.

If your phone is a Verizon phone you probably won't be able to reinstall it.
    12-10-2017 05:01 AM
    I don't use Verizon Messaging so I can't say how it works. I would just keep things as simple as possible. Most likely if the messages still show up in Samsung Messaging then they are still in the Sms db. Make Samsung Messaging the default app on both phones for the time being. Then do your backup on the old phone and restore on the new one. Take the Verizon app out of the picture until you get things sorted.

If your phone is a Verizon phone you probably won't be able to reinstall it.
    Thanks, I'm at a loss as to what to do. I feel like starting from scratch but don't have the time to fiddle. I hate samsung messaging. I am using it as default right now though. So if I delete all messages off verizon messages (and leave them on samsung messages) and try to do a restore that won't screw up the samsung side of it will it? Or will it duplicate - should I delete ALL messages off the new phone?
    12-10-2017 09:07 AM
    I wouldn't delete any messages right now unless you have a good backup. The apps may share the same db and deleting from one could cause them to disappear in the other. If you don't like Samsung Messaging try the free Textra or Google Messaging just until this is straightened out. I wasn't saying you need to switch permanently, just until you have your restore done and things look right. Then you can go back to Verizon Messaging.
    12-10-2017 09:13 AM
    I wouldn't delete any messages right now unless you have a good backup. The apps may share the same db and deleting from one could cause them to disappear in the other. If you don't like Samsung Messaging try the free Textra or Google Messaging just until this straightened out. I wasn't saying you need to switch permanently, just until you have your restore done and things look right. Then you can go back to Verizon Messaging.
    I understand, but, don't think this is going to get straightened out. You were right on the deleting - I deleted a couple I didn't care about and now they're gone from both. Which is ok, I have the back up still that I did yesterday. Forgive this rambling but see if this makes sense - I'm going to delete all messages off the new phone. Restore with SMS BR the back up from the old phone first (because it was the most complete with mms, etc.). Those messages went up to 11/24. I'm going to then restore the new phone back up from yesterday but only the conversations that had new texts after 11/24 even though I know it will duplicate everything in those particular conversations from 11/24 back (I'm just going to have to deal with it and delete the duplicates - we're talking about probably 5 conversations and maybe a few thousand or less dupes). I did get a couple texts today from one person so I did a back up of just that conversation so I can restore that separately too if I decide to. Does this make sense? If so I'm going to just do it and the heck with it. I WISH there was a program that would let me actually go into a conversation and transfer over only the actual texts (not whole conversations) that I want.
    12-10-2017 09:20 AM
    Yes that sounds like a reasonable approach. I have restored select text by utilizing the time stamp feature and it worked for me so you should be able to make that work. Again, as long as you have your backups you should be ok.
    12-10-2017 09:30 AM
    I haven't found where I can just restore select text (other than the whole conversation) so if you know off the top of your head how to do that enlighten me but at this point I'd be happy with having to delete a bunch of duplicates. I'm going to start now and see what happens.
    12-10-2017 09:34 AM
    Sorry, I did not mean individual texts. I was referring to conversations.
    andreah1 likes this.
    12-10-2017 09:42 AM
    Lost my mind? I restored the "old phone" messages, now went into SMS BR to do another restore as mentioned above with only the conversations that occurred after 11/24 but it won't let me choose conversations, my only choice is a full back up or only restore backup since *date*. I would SWEAR before I could choose a conversation. So now I'm have two choices, either do full back up which would duplicate everything and I would have to delete each one (I can live with) OR try a restore backup since 11/25? Do you think it would still leave all the old stuff there and just continue on with 11/25 to present? Or is it a crap shoot and just try it?
    12-10-2017 10:14 AM
    Try the 11/25 backup. It should only restore texts from that day forward. That's how it worked for me.
    andreah1 likes this.
    12-10-2017 10:17 AM
    Holy crap, it's all there - in samsung messages. Think I should do a back up again so I have a full back up of the "right" stuff? When should I try to bring vzw messages back in the mix? Turn the phone off/on, or wait a day, etc.? We're getting there! I'm going to have to send you some cookies or something for hanging in there with me....
    12-10-2017 10:29 AM
    Good to hear! Yes most definitely due a full backup before doing anything else. As far as Verizon Messaging goes be sure you don't use any of the Advanced Messaging features if you plan on using SMS B&R in the future.
    12-10-2017 10:33 AM
    Got it, THANKS! I'll do the back up now and then wait awhile before turning on vzw messages. I really like the advanced messaging as I can see the message was delivered and if they are reading it, etc. Hoping I can turn it on and then if I need to use SMS BR in the future just turn it off before using. I'll post one final (hopefully) post later if vzw works out ok.
    badcat likes this.
    12-10-2017 10:40 AM
    Sounds good. Fingers are crossed!
    12-10-2017 10:45 AM
64 123