I do not like the new 18.5:9 screen ratio

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't watch that much youtube on it, mainly read the forums such as this one and news. But 16:9 is just better overall. I have a tablet that's 4:3 and I really like that ratio as well. I think I would prefer a 4:3 ratio in a phone versus 18.5:9, strange as that may sound.

I installed the ZeroLemon external battery and the S8+ is actually very easy to hold. It's thick which makes the grip that much better.

I like my old Note 4 a lot more than the new S8+, screen-wise at least. (CPU-wise, it's much slower)

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think I'd like the ratio but I do now I feel like it's the best of both worlds with the S+ longer screen in portrait and in landcape we can crop or just leave the black bars feels like a 5.6 inch screen in landscape with the black bars

btw in the picture is that an S8 or S8+?

looks kind of like the regular S8 with the way the V20 towers over it

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't like it either, it's too narrow and skinny..

It's actually harder to type on which is my biggest issue.

It fits in the pocket easier but I don't care.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think I'd like the ratio but I do now I feel like it's the best of both worlds with the S+ longer screen in portrait and in landcape we can crop or just leave the black bars feels like a 5.6 inch screen in landscape with the black bars

btw in the picture is that an S8 or S8+?

looks kind of like the regular S8 with the way the V20 towers over it

I was thinking this same thing, but both the s8+ and the v20 are around 6.30 inches give or take for either.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking this same thing, but both the s8+ and the v20 are around 6.30 inches give or take for either.
This shows all three.
3201f60c68bc67630959f26df6860c0a.jpg

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
yea I'm not enjoying the new aspect ratio my self and never really saw use of the curv screen when watching things. i have a note 8 my self and I think it's to tall compared to other devices it's just werid. but in the day in age if u say something bad about a person favorite phone it's you don't know what your talking about . lol every day I think of man I should do a upgrade because of the form factor of a certain phone but not because I think it's better lol

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
cant believe people are buying the s8+/note 8 than stating they're too tall like the specs/dimensions aren't available when you purchase the device. don't like the style, height, width? Use a different oem that's the great thing about android. options.

Samsung made a choice to do something different, maybe a little innovative and change the screen ratio. they're phones now somewhat stand out from a flock of same sized/styled devices. Graded as the best smartphone design this year. Gotta give samsung some credit.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
cant believe people are buying the s8+/note 8 than stating they're too tall like the specs/dimensions aren't available when you purchase the device. don't like the style, height, width? Use a different oem that's the great thing about android. options.

Samsung made a choice to do something different, maybe a little innovative and change the screen ratio. they're phones now somewhat stand out from a flock of same sized/styled devices. Graded as the best smartphone design this year. Gotta give samsung some credit.

Give them credit for what ?

Last edited:

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Give them credit for what ?

For changing the aspect ratio of the device/screen, and winning awards for making the top Galaxy line one of if not the best designed devices of 2017. A lot of people don't like what samsung has done but a lot of OEM's are gonna start to follow suit. Apple and samsung in a sense tend to unofficially dictate the standard/quality of smartphones, more so apple.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
For changing the aspect ratio of the device/screen, and winning awards for making the top Galaxy line one of if not the best designed devices of 2017. A lot of people don't like what samsung has done but a lot of OEM's are gonna start to follow suit. Apple and samsung in a sense tend to unofficially dictate the standard/quality of smartphones, more so apple.

Samsung was not first to change the ratio. Design wise that's opinion base I'm pretty sure it's alot of ppl that don't like Samsung design because of the edges and just probably think other phones look better. I personally don't think Samsung phones look better then the essential phone or the htu 11 plus but that's me.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Samsung was not first to change the ratio. Design wise that's opinion base I'm pretty sure it's alot of ppl that don't like Samsung design because of the edges and just probably think other phones look better. I personally don't think Samsung phones look better then the essential phone or the htu 11 plus but that's me.

Never said they were the first lol. There's a good ole saying "don't knock it till you try it". When I first seen the s8/+ devices I didn't like them either till I went viewed, used and spent time holding one. That made me change my mind. No one's views are gonna be same that's why we have options. If people hate the s8/+/note8 design so much then sell it and get a different device as I would or have when I don't like something.

Patrick Lepoutre

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Marketing is fooling us with diagonal size. Worse: without any physical keys, virtual ones are eating the low part of the screen.
The proper screen measure should be the SURFACE WITHOUT VIRTUAL KEY : plain usable surface. Second important measure is smartphone body size VS this plain usable surface.

If marketing go on with this foolish diagonal only measurement (like it did with megapixel), we will end with always thinner devices

What do you think?

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't say the new ratio negatively effected me, I don't watch all that many movies on my phone. Even in the future I don't think the different screen ratios will weigh in my choice of phone. This screen ratio is probably going to be expected from full screen phones because the 16x9 creates too wide of a phone if it is too big.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Marketing is fooling us with diagonal size. Worse: without any physical keys, virtual ones are eating the low part of the screen.
The proper screen measure should be the SURFACE WITHOUT VIRTUAL KEY : plain usable surface. Second important measure is smartphone body size VS this plain usable surface.

If marketing go on with this foolish diagonal only measurement (like it did with megapixel), we will end with always thinner devices

What do you think?

But full screen apps hide the on screen keys, so then your argument goes away because that part of the screen is usable.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Which is why different phones come in different measurements. If we can't even decide here which ratio, method of measurement, etc., is best, and we probably represent less than 1% of the phone-buying public, how do you expect the manufacturers to figure out which will sell best until they try it?

(Screen measurement used to be simple - screens were round [even though they were masked to 4:3], so the measurement was the diameter [which was pretty close to the diagonal of the mask]. These days, does the edge count as part of the screen? Does the full screen count, even though some apps don't run full screen? What ratio is best? [Don't expect 18:9 to be the last "different size" you'll see.] If a manufacturer makes all their screens X, and X bothers you enough, don't buy their phones. If enough people don't, they'll stop making X.)

slenderman 999

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
and now they are moving to 21:9. i think it's redeculus. why they are shrinking the phone size vertically?! and making it long horizontally? it looks like a ****. 16:9 was much better

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
They are making phones for the smaller asian hands, plust getting extra marketing margins by selling bigger diagonals for smaller screens. End of story. Hands are the same size as always hence lot of people will not be interested. There will be manufacturers offering other formats thats for sure. If you cannot get a decent size virtual keyboard because the screen is too narrow on a phone the whole device defies its mere purpose.