I do not like the new 18.5:9 screen ratio

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I liked the 16:9 on the old Note 4 a lot more. Who came up with that st00pid idea?

It's thin and stretched out.

I hope it's a temporary trend.

As is the curved screen, I completely fail to see the purpose of that either.

It seems they are trying stupid new stuff just to try new stuff. So later they can go back to the exciting original format.

thoughtjunky

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
I like it for watching wide format video, and it is easier to hold and use than a wider phone with the same screen area. I think it's a more nuanced decision than most people realize.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not big on it either. It's kind of ridiculous. I like this phone but I'd be happy if they went back to the 16:9 as well.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I like it, doesn't feel like I have a big sharp rectangle in my hand, the curve glass is smooth and comfortable for holding, while the screen is beautiful for viewing videos.

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I quite like it. The device is narrow enough to fit the hand, yet I get a fairly big screen.
My S7 seems small now...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I liked the 16:9 on the old Note 4 a lot more. Who came up with that st00pid idea?

It's thin and stretched out.

I hope it's a temporary trend.

As is the curved screen, I completely fail to see the purpose of that either.

It seems they are trying stupid new stuff just to try new stuff. So later they can go back to the exciting original format.

I agree, I do hate the new aspect ratio, it's too skinny and kills the experience when watching YouTube videos with black borders and narrow screen (doesn't feel like it has a big screen at all, plus terrible speakers). The curves have no purpose, it's just there to look cool... it's actually very annoying and gets in the way a lot with phantom touches and difficult to hold.

Below: V20's 5.7 inch vs. S8+'s 6.2 inch. The V20 looks bigger.

IMG_20170626_162930.jpgIMG_20170626_163327.jpg

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I also fail to see what the "Edge Screen" provides. I don't really use and it just really complicates using a screen protector. I've said this before, I would get an unlocked S8 active if Samsung released one. I'm not switching to AT&T to get one though.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thought I would be annoyed by the 18.5:9 aspect ratio, and thought I would hate the curved edge screen, turns out that I kind of like the aspect ratio and don't mind the curved edge at all.

As for watching videos, the screen is less than ideal for 16:9 content; but much better for the majority of feature films that are usually shot in Cinemascope format (usually 21:9.)

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm okay with the ratio.

Hate the curved edges though, the more I use it. The screen really needs a bit more edge protection and this has none. My son has cracked his twice - with an otterbox defender case on it no less - the way it hit the ground just at the right almost flat angle catching right on the curved part. He hit the top left, and now the bottom right. Screen still works, but now we have to get it fixed at some point.

I've been lucky with mine, but constantly hitting icons along the edge just putting it down gets old after a while.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If I had my druthers, I'd love a flat screen. Samsung has put a ton of money and advertising into the curved infinity display, so I doubt they'll revert to flat screen.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I think they want the display to be borderless to be all display like a piece of p paper and hide the phone.

4.7 and 5.5" displays feel too small anymore. Cutting down on weight and only way to use 5.8-6.3" display is with the new aspect ratio.

I wasn't ready to adopt the S7E. Plus my N8 is less pronounced edge. Gives the illusion and reduces 'wasted space'

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I do hate the new aspect ratio, it's too skinny and kills the experience when watching YouTube videos with black borders and narrow screen (doesn't feel like it has a big screen at all, plus terrible speakers). The curves have no purpose, it's just there to look cool... it's actually very annoying and gets in the way a lot with phantom touches and difficult to hold.

View attachment 275636View attachment 275637

That's a good example of looks can be deceiving. If you dont like the s8s rounded look get the note 8 still not satisfied there's many OEM's to choose from.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Advances in technology are great but for my use Samsung has gone to far towards Apple.
I am sticking with LG V20.
I need headphone jack, replaceable batteries, IR Blaster, and large 16 × 9 ratio screen and the V20 is the last flagship phone to keep all of those features.
I use my phone remotely with multiple apps that constantly utilize GPS.
I can't quick charge. I have to swap batteries.
I have over a dozen devices in home and office that have IR remotes. I use the blaster everyday.
I have big hands and use the screen for video and mapping as well as Hulu, Netflix and sports viewing.
The larger 16x9 ratio provides a better viewing experience.
I will hold onto my V20 as long as I can.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 275636View attachment 275637

The V20's screen looks bigger, because in terms of surface area, it is bigger. Comparing diagonal screen sizes when the aspect ratios are different is not useful because they're not comparable.

That doesn't mean that the 18.5:9 screens are bad. It just means that you don't like them.

I went from a Nexus 6P to the GS8+ and there is no way I could go back to a 5.7" 16:9 panel again. My GS8+ is as tall, but narrower, which makes it way easier to actually hold in my hand.

And has been pointed out, the only video that's really 16:9 is a lot of youtube stuff and broadcast TV. Nothing else is really 16:9 and something shot with a wider aspect ratio looks way better on the GS8 screen than it would on a 16:9 screen.

Like anything, there are advantages and disadvantages, and some people will like things once way, some will like them the other.

But market trends seem to show that 18:9ish displays are going to become commonplace because for the majority of users, they are better overall experiences, despite the screens technically not having the same surface area as a 16:9 panel.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance