Lags, stutters, janks, etc.

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
So I've been having kind of major performance problems with the last three Samsung devices I've owned (S7, S8+, S8+ replacement), and the problems have gotten so apparent, I kind of can't help but feel like there must be something I'm doing to cause these issues.

Here's what's happening mostly;

Obviously, Samsung doesn't have the smoothest software experience ever, and it's always like that, and I'm okay with that. But whenever I use my S8+ for an extended period of time - like say 30 or so minutes when I'm on lunch at work - I start noticing a tremendous slowdown in its performance and A LOT of lags, stuttering, and other issues that are kind of impossible to ignore.

For instance, I'll be on the Facebook app and I can't even scroll through my feed smoothly - rather it skips and lurches, clearly unable to keep up with loading the data correctly. In that app, it will even get to the point where when I go to select a reaction (you know, happy, sad, angry, etc.), it will be exaggerated laggy effect and sometimes even a freezing of the animation before I can select a reaction. Similarly, when I go to say a picture, the phone will obviously struggle to load the "Save Photo" menu cleanly.

I've also had the issue that - after using my phone for around 3 months or so - there will start to be a notable delay between when I click an app's icon, and when it actually pops open. On some apps, this is totally understandable - like games - on others, like the Google App or Chrome, it doesn't make any sense to me.

And then there will be obvious issues in the Samsung UI itself - like it takes for ever for Settings section to load, or the phone dialer, or the gallery app will struggle to pull up the hundred or so photos that I have saved to the phone at any given time, etc.

And believe me, I've done all the usual trouble shooting - Factory Resets, and Cache clearing, trying to isolate rogue apps, even replaced my phone itself, etc.

I basically feel like I'm using a phone from 2012 with all of the performance problems you'd expect from using a 5yo phone. I just can't imagine these issues existing for everyone and I'm somehow the only person it bothers. And I don't think it's me just hating Samsung's UI as I used my Note 5 for a solid year with absolutely no complaints.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there any kind of troubleshooting I may have missed?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Try not installing every app.

A corrupt system can only be fixed by wipe.

Some apps are resource hogs. Only way to know is trial and error starting from zero: system as shipped.

Even an SD card can cause hiccups. SD Card is 7 times slower than internal storage on s8+ which is a reason apps don't but is fine for media files.

Haley Chris

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
Get Rid of the Facebook app it is a memory hog and go through your apps you don't use and uninstall them or disable any apps you don't use

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Hmm. Mine is like greased lightning. I kill all apps i dont use. I block all traffic I'm not controlling. I have data saver and power saver on. I don't allow auto updates or synch.
If it stutters a little, I just close all recent apps and she's off again... And I don't have fb!

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
A couple other things I wonder:

1. Could it be the reception at my work? (I notice the problems most consistently there...granted, I'm also there for a good amount of my day).

2. Could it be due to the phone throttling my processors due to excessive heat or whatever? Like I don't notice my phone getting particularly hot throughout the day, but the type of performance issues I'm having seem to be indicative of lowered processing power (I suppose it could be ram too, but whenever I check it, it's fine).

If either of those are possible are there any apps I could use to test or monitor those problems?

I should mention I've also used other phones at work (OnePlus 5T and the iPhone 8 Plus) with no performance problems.

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Here's an example of the difference in performance between the 5T (the shoreline wallpaper) and the S8+ (the mountain wallpaper).

I'm guessing those bars spike even higher whenever my phone has any vigorous workload, which causes the much more noticable lag.

Although why very few people seem to have this problem/notice it is beyond me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171215-112041.jpg
    Screenshot_20171215-112041.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20171215-111956.jpg
    Screenshot_20171215-111956.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 110

Yuvalhad12

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I swear, my phone is still smooth and I experience very little if any lagging at all.

It might happen because I disabled most of the Samsung bloatcrap or maybe because I am very lucky, but if you want I can send to you the apps and services I canceled.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
A clean install. A backup to a pc. And start one by one troubleshooting.

Some apps, and a sticky list is needed, are known to be crapware.

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
I did discover my issues with the lag isn't just me. Reading through comments regarding later releases of Samsung's UI (ver. 8.5 and now 9.0), even Samsung themselves have pretty much openly admitted that 8.1 (the S8's UI) and lower suffers from lag.

SUPPOSEDLY, they fixed or greatly improved this with the release of the Note 8 and 8.5, but personally, I kind of highly doubt that.

Samsung Lag.jpg

gm_mike

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi I just joined tonight. I was looking to see if there were any problems with the S8 lagging and I saw this thread. I uninstalled all the apps that I don't use but it's lagging big time. I really need this phone for work. Any other recommendations I could do to solve this? Thanks

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, if I wasn't still financing this phone I would pick up a pixel 2 xl or the iPhone X. This phone is great, but I'm getting tired of the random lag.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon