My wife and I both have S8 and after we upgraded we found the new chat feature between our phones to be extremely annoying. Instead of sending our messages as actual text messages it tries to use data. The main problem is that there is sometimes up to an hour gap before we receive each other's messages. While I can disable it in the messaging app settings it enables itself after the messaging app has completely closed. I would like a way to permanently disable this feature so we can just text normally. And I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I was not able to find it searching.

I keep changing the default message type to text but it changes back.

I'll add a picture of what I was talking about just in case.
    How to permanently disabled the chat feature of advanced messaging-screenshot_20171218-193700.png
    12-18-2017 06:37 PM
    I was frustrated by this too...but I fixed it. You have to go to your Settings->Apps->Messages, then turn Off "Apps that can change system settings". Once you turn that off, your Messages app won't be able to switch back your Default message type to Chat.

Talk about trying to force you to use a new feature. So dumb.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    12-21-2017 03:05 PM
    I don't see chat option. I'm using att, maybe I don't have it. 😉
    12-22-2017 10:52 AM
    I went to turn Off "Apps that can change system settings" exactly like you said and it didn't work for me. Messaging still defaults back to Chat by itself, but not right away...it will reset back to the Chat setting later, like after a couple of hours or completely closing it out, like it's playing a joke on me! Got any other ideas? This really gets annoying having to check the settings in Messages to make sure the default message type is "Text/Multimedia" every single time!
    12-28-2017 04:06 PM
    What carrier do you have? I don't see this option on my AT&T variant. I guess I'm glad since it seems to be giving you grief.
    12-29-2017 09:24 AM