Does the Verizon S8+ need a firmware flash before its fully carrier unlocked ?

I was told Verizon shipped all of them carrier unlocked but someone told me to flash it anyway. Well the update is almost 4gb.

If I skip firmware flashing it , is it still going to be carrier unlocked ?
    12-22-2017 11:36 AM
    No, flashing the phone won't remove a SIM-lock. If it were that easy, everyone could unlock his or her phone. The carrier will give you the unlock code when your phone meets their requirements - fully paid for, with them for a certain amount of time, etc. Just Google unlock and your carrier's name. (Verizon phones aren't locked by code, but by their ESNs [electronic serial numbers] being in Verizon's database. If you're going to another CDMA carrier [Sprint], they won't accept the phone on their towers. If you're going for AT&T or T-Mobile, the phone will probably accept their SIM. [Of course not everything will function the way an AT&T or T-Mobile phone will. For example, on T-Mobile towers, you won't get WiFi voice.])

If you're going for an MVNO - MINT, Straight Talk, etc., ot's the same thing - the phone will accept the SIM but you may be missing some features.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    12-22-2017 03:57 PM