Samsung Pay

Crude Berry

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I used to use Android Pay all the time and kept reading about how great Samsung Pay is. I decided to make the jump this morning and I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. Android Pay just worked at places it was accepted. Just tap phone on card reader and bam, a giant check mark appears on the screen and my purchase was paid for. I am yet to get Samsung pay to work. 2 different places kept asking me to insert the card into the chip reader, the other it just didn't work. Nothing happened. What gives? Is there a special dance to us3 to get this to work or what?

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The only place I had any trouble using Samsung Pay was at 7-11 and even then it worked , the counter person was even surprised as he claimed it wouldn't. I use it daily and love it, lots of points redeemed over the last year , $50 visa card , two fast changers ... every now and then it fails to work , but perhaps that is the terminal ?

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Where I live the number of nfc enabled terminals is small, so Samsung Pay works the best for me. It's picky at Walmart sometimes , but still works. Works without issue at any other retailers I frequent.

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You just have to hold the sensor near the swipe area. The chip is near the camera. So I just hold my phone close to the swipe area. If it asks for a chip card, you'll have to use a physical chip card.

Crude Berry

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I was able to get it to work at McDonald's this morning. Maybe I just need to play with it more to learn exactly what spot to aim for.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
For me it seems to depend on the machine that the store has. McDonald's, Walmart, and Walgreens work flawlessly for me, but Starbucks always gives me issues.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
out of every place I could remember using it

Subway, MacDonalds, Wendy's, Target, Wal-Mart, toys r us, several gas stations, Disney World shops, CVS, Walgreens, Dollar Tree, Dunkin Donuts (these are a few of probably many more that could think of right now)

Worked flawlessly at the above mentioned stores, wawas was a place that gave me problems and only 1 Wal-Mart but I never experienced that problem at any other Wal-Mart.

It is a lot better than Apple pay or Android Pay from my experience and I would love to try other Android phones but Samsung pay has spoiled me

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung_Pay.png

Costco told me recently that all the ApplePay customers try to use their terminal but it doesn't work and SamsungPay always works. There is NO way AndroidPay works at the car wash I used recently either. The only place I couldn't use it was Pizza Hut but the person flat out told me I couldn't b/c it wouldn't work. I usually ask to let me try and it always works but she was rude so I just left it alone. lol!

If it doesn't work, it might be b/c the cashier isn't doing it right. Apparently some terminals require them to setup up the payment a certain way and this has worked before as the cashier told me "try it again" (after pressing something on their end) and then it worked. I think this was at a Burger King but can't remember...

Last edited:

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
https://s19.postimg.org/o9hkqy3qb/Samsung_Pay.png
Apparently some terminals require them to setup up the payment a certain way and this has worked before as the cashier told me "try it again" (after pressing something on their end) and then it worked.

I usually lie some places I'm using a debit card and then they "allow" the terminal to be used. Without them allowing the terminal to be used it won't work so once they tell it I'm using a debit I go ahead and use my phone.

Believe it or not 2 or 3 places straight up got angry with me using the phone (I'm not sure if they think it's a scam or they don't believe it worked or if they have to pay a fee to Samsung or something?)

But I kinda just laugh and walk away with my receipt hoping they don't do anything dumb like call the cops or something

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Believe it or not 2 or 3 places straight up got angry with me using the phone (I'm not sure if they think it's a scam or they don't believe it worked or if they have to pay a fee to Samsung or something?)

...no these are most likely jealous ApplePay fan boys...knowing theirs isn't accepted! lol!

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Works everywhere for me. Only common issue is making sure the cashier has brought the transaction to the point where the card reader terminal is ready for a card.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I am finding AP just works and SP is hit and miss. I think if SP had a way to turn on NFC only mode it would work always here (Canada) where 99% of merchants have chip readers anyways. I'm holding out hopes for SP though if they would ever support it here for my Gear S3.

Since everyone has chip here I just say I'm using visa and tap my phone. AP just works and off I go. Lately I've been collecting Justice League super heros with it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy