Hijacked google account locking me out of my S8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My phone suddenly displayed a message saying it had undergone a factory reset and I need to enter my google account credentials. When I tried to log in, the password wasn't accepted. I then went to my computer and saw that somebody had accessed my gmail account and changed the password (whilst presumably also activating the factory reset of my phone remotely). I went through the Google recovery process, including having a code sent to my recovery email address, and I got an automated message from google saying they could not verify my account and will respond in "3-5 working days"(?!). In the meantime, I am completely blocked from using my only phone (I live in Central Africa and it is not easy to get a replacement). I've tried the hack using Odin, but I can't get my computer to recognize the S8, even with new drivers installed. Has anybody else encountered this problem and does anybody have any suggestions (including how to actually communicate with a person at Google?). Many thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, I think you'll just have to wait until someone from Google gets back in touch with you. There's no definitive customer support phone number, even in the US. Some Google support pages have a "Get Help" button at the upper right that might let you request a call or chat, but the support page for account recovery doesn't. You could try clicking Get Help on the Google Play help page, just to see if you can get anyone to respond, then see if they can help with your problem: https://support.google.com/googleplay/?hl=en#topic=3364260

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung may be able to help in breaking the phone free after a factory reset. Seems harsh that a simple gmail hijack can brick a phone.

cass_m

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you make a second account to log in with to at least take back your phone? I read on wired (maybe) that someone had done that then reset password from the second account.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
why would someone remotely activate the factory rest on a phone they did not have in there possession? I could understand them doing it if they had the phone but why do it if you still have the phone?