I just switched over from apple. I was sick of the same old thing. With that said I am stuck with what email, text launcher, etc. There are so many options. Can I get some help with what everyone is using and what people like.

thanks
    jamie
    01-11-2018 03:32 PM
    I'd try the stock apps since you're coming from an iPhone. Unless you've had Android experience before, don't try to rush into it, that usually just leads to headaches. Once you do that, see what you want to change and what feels right just the way it is.

For me, I use Nine for e-mail (Exchange) and the stock GMail app for my GMail, Textra for texting (but only because the stock Samsung app doesn't play too well with Android Wear), Nova for launcher (more out of habit than really needing it... Samsung has really stepped up their game in terms of launcher/speed). I still prefer the stock Samsung calendar app than the Google one, so I don't replace that.
    01-11-2018 04:13 PM
    I have had an android tablet for a bit. I just installed nine. I really like it. I think I am comparing the features of some of my iOS apps to what I have here and it takes some gettig use to. what else dio you recommend?
    01-11-2018 05:54 PM
    I have been using the stock Gmail app for emails, stock Samsung Messages for texts, but Nova launcher instead of Samsung's offering. Only because I'm used to vertically scrolling app list instead of the horizontal one from Samsung. Since you switched from iOS, Samsung's launcher might work better for you. For note taking, I use Google Keep instead of Samsung's Note app simply because it's widely available. For internet browsing, Samsung Internet is the best one available because of extensions.
    Jamielampert23 and jacker like this.
    01-11-2018 06:34 PM
    If you can't give up the 'iMessage' fix on your computer, you can text from it using MightyText. You can also use SideSync to text and receive notifications on your computer but that only works when the phone is connected to the computer either via USB or WiFi (Mighty Text works as long as the phone is connected to any network, but it's only for texting).

SideSync, however, IS a must. You can see your phone's screen in your computer and use the mouse/keyboard to control it as well. Pretty handy.
    01-12-2018 12:48 AM
    Imessage is no big deal. not having it is fine with me.
    01-12-2018 03:31 AM
    I have tried black player and power amp for my music. this is a huge one for me I am always listening to music and carry a lot of it on my phone. what is everyone using? the two that I have tried don't seem to work for me. I like having normal skip track pause and play buttons. also looking for a decent keyboard
    01-12-2018 07:26 AM
    Personally I like using Blackberry Hub for Android - all email, texts, missed calls, linkedin, facebook, all in one place. I got used to it when I still carried BB10 phones. To get rid of ads it's 0.99 per month subscription.

So far I'm liking Rocket Player best for music, it has all functions I need, and easy on the battery compared to some.
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    01-12-2018 07:46 AM
    I see you are a new user here - welcome to the forums!

As someone who made the leap from BlackBerry to Android a handful of years ago, I understand that this "adjustment" period may be a little confusing and/or overwhelming for you. Do not worry - you'll get used to everything in no time! Here are some personal suggestions, if you like:

- try not to do everything all in one day. Adjust your wallpaper, look at widgets to use, and then maybe leave it at that. Doing too much at one time could frustrate you

- download Zedge - it's a free wallpaper/ringtone/notification/icon pack app; and it's amazing

- maybe stick with the launcher that came with your phone right now; at least until you get used to Samsung's operating system. A new launcher will totally change the look of your phone; which is cool but it may make things more confusing

- Google, ask, and YouTube! As in, Google for questions, ask other users for assistance, and YouTube search tips and tricks for your phone! YouTube has come in handy for me when I need to troubleshoot or set something up on my phone(s)

Please feel free to ask us for any further help, and enjoy your Samsung phone!

Oh, whoops, I forgot to tell you what I was doing with my own phone LOOL. I have an Honor 8, running the launcher that came with the phone; however, I am using a Pixel 2 theme as my setup. Themes are great, because they change the appearance of your phone (ie, icon pack, on-screen keys, etc); but not the overall look and operation of your phone, like launchers do. It's a good "middle step" if you're looking to change up your experience a little bit.
    Jamielampert23 likes this.
    01-12-2018 08:14 AM
    Thanks for the response. are you using any third party keyboards?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-12-2018 10:53 AM
    Thanks for the response. are you using any third party keyboards?
    I used SwiftKey off and on for a few years, and paid for the keyboard themes that I wanted. It was one of the better keyboard apps that I've used. I still highly recommend it.

Right now, I'm using Gboard. I really enjoy it overall. Plus, you can set photos from your gallery as the background for the keyboard - so I get to see my cat whenever I type. It's win-win for me!
    01-12-2018 11:00 AM
    are you using any third party keyboards?
    I am using GBoard as well. It works pretty well for word prediction and swipe typing is a breeze.
    Morty2264 and Jamielampert23 like this.
    01-12-2018 11:41 AM
    My only gripe with GBoard is that A, sync glitches out with Samsung's Secure Folder (which is present on the S8), and B, it doesn't show suggestions when typing in addresses in your browser and, perhaps the most infuriating of them all, it doesn't show suggestions or auto-correct on search boxes. So I always end up going back to SwiftKey.
    Jamielampert23 likes this.
    01-12-2018 12:21 PM
    Another vote for SwiftKey.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-13-2018 02:27 PM