Facebook messenger notifications not working

Momenol

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Exact same problem since 2-3 months with my S8. Tried the 2 possible solutions above. Not working.

When I open the app it always displays "waiting for connection" first 2 seconds.

Edit: just did some testing. The problem is not when i'm using another account.
On my friends S7, with my account, same problem.

Last edited:

Technot2

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Update on previous post ( scroll up, #19 ) my daughters phone stopped showing/sounding notifications again! So have a temp fix for now that seems to work. So log out of facebook app and all sessions as in my previous post and log out of messenger switch phone off then back on. Sign into messenger app only NOT FACEBOOK APP , this works on my daughters S8 phone and notifications work. If we then log into the facebook app they stop working again, so don't waste your time trying that. Tomorrow I am going to try delete the facebook app then access and log into facebook via chrome and bookmark it so not using the app. Also check all volumes in settings - sound are turned up. Hope this helps someone

Last edited:

igor06

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Same issue here.
I tried everything but nothing worked.

BUT, I was able to resolve the issue by reading the information provided by kate123don.
Like kate123don, when log out from Facebook app, the notification started to work. I am thinking that having the notification activated on the Facebook app, will not allow to send notification in Messenger app.
So, I did another trick and seem to work for me:

1. Open the Facebook app and navigate to: setup (three lines) > Application Setup > Notifications > Disable ALL
2. Open the Messenger app and navigate to: your profile (click on your picture account) > Notifications & Sound > Activate ALL

Then it started to work

staki610

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
I did everythink you said, didn' solve it. And how did you think of removing your phone number number @Momenol ? :D im glad you solve it for yourself. @Technot2 im using galaxy s7 and facebook app comea preinstalled and cant be deletes, only disabled. But thats not solution, having app that doesnt work. I want them by default to work like they used to. I have checked notifications and sounds, everything is on. :)

staki610

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Sorry, but do you think of picture 1 or picture 2. ( i have disable everything i could in picture 2.) I checked messenger app and everything is on ( it is blue). If i did it right like u described it still isnt working :/
2901c38dfed46847b281ed97258adafc.jpg
d295b76a9acb0a89ac098c2fedad945e.jpg

kate123don

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Same issue here.

BUT, I was able to resolve the issue by reading the information provided by kate123don.
Like kate123don, when log out from Facebook app, the notification started to work. I am thinking that having the notification activated on the Facebook app, will not allow to send notification in Messenger app.

1. Open the Facebook app and navigate to: setup (three lines) > Application Setup > Notifications > Disable ALL
2. Open the Messenger app and navigate to: your profile (click on your picture account) > Notifications & Sound > Activate ALL

Then it started to work

Hi, I did what you suggested. Basically I redownloaded the regular Facebook app and disabled push notifications through the app it's self (through the steps you stated) and through the settings on my phone and messenger still works. Thank you for the input.

kate123don

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Sorry, but do you think of picture 1 or picture 2. ( i have disable everything i could in picture 2.) I checked messenger app and everything is on ( it is blue). If i did it right like u described it still isnt working :///uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/2901c38dfed46847b281ed97258adafc.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/d295b76a9acb0a89ac098c2fedad945e.jpg

Image 2 but scroll down more and set push to off. It will say for 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc. But select the very bottom one.

Attachments

• 20180124_004022.png
    20180124_004022.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 18

igor06

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Same issue here.

Then it started to work

Now I have another issue.

If I do not access the Messenger app for a half an hour/1 hour (I don't know exactly the timing) it becomes as inactive and I do not receive the messages. When I open the the app I see "Waiting for Network" and then is connecting.

Now if I close the app, I receive the messages... until it becomes inactive again.

Everything started after changing my phone with Galaxy S8.
On my old phone (One Plus 3) it works.

I hate Samsung! Too expensive, overrated, lower support... junk!

Aelistas

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Now I have another issue.

If I do not access the Messenger app for a half an hour/1 hour (I don't know exactly the timing) it becomes as inactive and I do not receive the messages. When I open the the app I see "Waiting for Network" and then is connecting.

Now if I close the app, I receive the messages... until it becomes inactive again.

Everything started after changing my phone with Galaxy S8.
On my old phone (One Plus 3) it works.

I hate Samsung! Too expensive, overrated, lower support... junk!

Hi,

I have been struggling with this for more than a month. after reading this thread i decided to enable DO NOT DISTURB in Facebook app and the disable and all of a sudden all messenger messages started coming through.

I also restarted my S8+ and they are still working. Hope it helps

kate123don

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I have been struggling with this for more than a month. after reading this thread i decided to enable DO NOT DISTURB in Facebook app and the disable and all of a sudden all messenger messages started coming through.

These are my settings for both Facebook messenger and the regular Facebook app. You could try changing it to the same. In image 1 on messenger settings through the app there's more options and they are all set to on. Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

-Kate

Attachments

• 20180124_111009.png
    20180124_111009.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180124_110844.png
    20180124_110844.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180124_110713.png
    20180124_110713.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180124_110543.png
    20180124_110543.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180124_110443.png
    20180124_110443.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180124_110253.png
    20180124_110253.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 14

staki610

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I think this is the reason for not getting push notifications in the first place and why we are talking about this. I have tried this with do not disturb and restart the phone, still the same. Also did everything that kate123don explained in pictures to setup, still nothing. Only when i get in to the app messenges start to come in. I'm so glad that you people found solitions for yourself, because, for me its driveing me crazy. And i dont belive that problem is with samsung. Other notifications come thrue as they used to.

kate123don

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
I think this is the reason for not getting push notifications in the first place and why we are talking about this. I have tried this with do not disturb and restart the phone, still the same. Also did everything that kate123don explained in pictures to setup, still nothing. Only when i get in to the app messenges start to come in. I'm so glad that you people found solitions for yourself, because, for me its driveing me crazy. And i dont belive that problem is with samsung. Other notifications come thrue as they used to.

It does seem to be an application clash between the two apps. Does messenger work if you disable the Facebook app? Have you tried logging into another device? Maybe a friends phone. Or someone logging into their messenger on your phone?

-Kate

staki610

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
It does seem to be an application clash between the two apps. Does messenger work if you disable the Facebook app? Have you tried logging into another device? Maybe a friends phone. Or someone logging into their messenger on your phone?

-Kate
No, everything is the same with enabled/disabled facebook app. Notifications not working. I havent tried log in on another device or someone log in in mine. Even if i knew where the problem is, obviously couldnt solve it without update from facebook/samsung.

Matsfromsweden

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
Here is the solution I guess :)
WORKS FOR ME!!

1: go into settings, search for “apps” (wait a few seconds for the setting page to load because Samsung’s software is laggy) and click into it.

2: once inside “apps,” hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into “special access.”

3: once inside special access, go to “optimize battery usage.”

4: from here, tap on the dropdown menu saying that says “apps not optimized” and switch to “all apps.”

5: once all your phone’s apps are shown, find the apps you want to receive notifications as they come through, and tap on the switch to turn it off.

(This is weird, right? You have to turn off the switch to ensure the phone doesn’t automatically kill your app, so you can get notifications on time)

staki610

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Here is the solution I guess :)
WORKS FOR ME!!

1: go into settings, search for “apps” (wait a few seconds for the setting page to load because Samsung’s software is laggy) and click into it.

2: once inside “apps,” hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into “special access.”

3: once inside special access, go to “optimize battery usage.”

4: from here, tap on the dropdown menu saying that says “apps not optimized” and switch to “all apps.”

5: once all your phone’s apps are shown, find the apps you want to receive notifications as they come through, and tap on the switch to turn it off.

(This is weird, right? You have to turn off the switch to ensure the phone doesn’t automatically kill your app, so you can get notifications on time)
So, after a 4 days i can tell that this work for me. Thing is, that i did this like first thing when started experience this problem. This time, after i "turned it off " then restarted the phone and notifications started working again. I havent missed any message from messenger after that. Thank u all for help. I hope u all solve this problem.

igor06

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Today my Gmail notifications also stopped working... OMG!!!

After digging, changing many setups and testings I noticed a system application called "Notification".
This application was enabled for battery optimization.
I disabled application "Notification" from battery optimization, restarted the phone and Gmail start working.
I installed Facebook Messenger once again and I noticed that it works also.

JJJJJJJames

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
This worked for me...
Using a Samsung S6, so not an S8 issue...
Go to the mobile data settings, find data saver, turn this off. If it is in on position it stops applications receiving background data.
I couldn't figure out why my temperature etc wasn't updating on my clock widget and why FB messager only worked when it was open. This fixed a few things.
Hopefully it works for some of you.

polpetros

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Assuming that you've tried all the solutions including battery saver options and killing the app in the background

For me, the solution came by disabling Rambox a software combining almost all the web clients for messaging such as WhatsApp or Facebook messenger. I believe it was swallowing all the notifications before they could reach the mobile app. It's based on Chrome's engine so might be relevant to running Facebook messenger in a desktop

Hope that helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34