Samsung Cloud no longer backs up 3rd party apps

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
As per recent email from Samsung, the Samsung Cloud will no longer back up 3rd party apps. Here is the official email that was sent out:

Hello, we would like to inform you that the service policy of Samsung Cloud has changed. From February 6th, 2018, the following changes will be applied:

□ Service Policy Changes
- Target: App data for users who backed up apps on Samsung Cloud
- Changes: App data for 3rd party apps will no longer be backed up on Samsung cloud. After this change you will not be able to backup app data or restore it from a previous backup on Samsung cloud. Any existing data from previous backups will be deleted immediately in accordance with provisions of relevant statues and regulations. Users who need to back up app data should do so using Smart Switch or the backup and restore functionality of each third party application, if available.
- What is still supported ?
Samsung cloud will continue to support backup and sync of the following items and the data will continue to be available on Samsung Cloud
. Homescreen, app installation files, and other settings in mobile device
. Application’s setting and data for Samsung apps such as Contacts, Calendar, Internet, and Samsung Notes
. User data like Photos, Videos, Music, and Documents

□ Disposal of Personal Information
- After this change, Samsung will promptly destroy your personal information that was collected for the purpose of delivering the service. However, if there is the obligation to retain information in accordance with the provisions of the relevant statutes, the information shall be retained, and immediately destroyed after the expiration of the retention period prescribed by current and applicable regulations.

This is a huge deal in my opinion because this was the only truly functional backup implementation on Android and was a very welcome addition when it showed up with the S8 series of devices. However, Samsung being Samsung, looks to have determined that the cost of maintaining the storage required for these backups just wasn't worth their time. Back to the stone age again.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Did you use this feature? I used it all the time on my S8+.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I recall Samsung had blocked those same features that were duplicated on other services, has that now been lifted also? Or was that Verizon? For example, because of THEIR backup capability, the Google Drive backup features were disabled to force you to their system.

This is what I'm referencing, though it's more recent than I recall... https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...google-backup-disabled-admin-check-yours.html

I have no idea. I never used Google Drive backup in the past since it never really works as a complete backup solution. I always relied on Samsung Cloud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC