AT&T Galaxy S8 Fast charging reverting to cable charging after a few seconds

Alex Hila

Aug 2, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same problem aswell.
I haven't done anything about.

I think is a bug because by the time this issue started happening to me my phone started telling me that my charging port had "moisture" just by holding the phone down.

This happens sometimes after I unplug from my charger it will show the icon.

I've found a work around for this. Just restart my phone.

I know that all these aren't dealbreaker but annoyances that shouldn't happened.

anyone else have the moisture issue?

I have the exact same issue with mine. It started the past week but I still haven't figured out how to fix it. I think an update will fix it as we are a lot of people with the same problem.

Saber Sohrabi

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Hi
Do these steps for solutions:
1-power off your phone.
2-power on your phone in download mode. (when samsung logo is shown press and hold volume down)
3-reset your cashe partition in download mode.
4-reset to factory settings in download mode.
5-let to your phone restart.
6-when phone is restarted go to settings from phone menu.
7-go to device maintenance.
8-touch the 3dot on top of page.
9-select about device maintenance.
10-update your device maintenance app.
Enjoy from your phone fast charge!

xs97

Aug 25, 2018
Visit site
My phone started the exact same way with my S8+. I first got a moisture warning (there was no moisture) then the fast charging didn't work anymore. Most times it will start as Fast Charging then within a second or so it drops to cable charging. Tried reboot, tried safe mode, cleaned the port pristine with plastic dental tools (all plaque and tarter removed =D )...I am at a loss. The problem remains unsolved. Is this how they get me to upgrade to a 9? I don't wanna upgrade until the S10. My 8+ works perfect otherwise.
Yayya i also have this issue after moisture detected problem, So now your phone are works fine now ?

J4N

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
Yayya i also have this issue after moisture detected problem, So now your phone are works fine now ?

I've the same issue with my galaxy S9+, did you solve your issue? I tried your trick with reboot in recovery and wipe, but I still have the same issue

Tailboom

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
I was able to fix my S8+ that was doing the quick switch from fast charge to cable charge after plugging it in.

What I did was took some rubbing alcohol, filed the charge port with it. then took a cable (while not plugged into a power source) and repeatedly plugged and and plugged several times. Then removed the cable and blew the port out using a camera bulb blower. you could probably just soak any remaining alcohol out and wait for it to dry if you don't have a blower. After that, my phone now starts and stays in fast charge mode.

:)

Hope this helps others.

--pat

Update... spoke too soon. Further testing showed it went back to the old behavior after unplugging and re plugging. Maybe it's a dirty port related... don't know.

Akshay sharma4

May 22, 2019
Visit site
Mine corrected by just cleaning the port with pin......it took some time but i cleaned properly and took out alott of cloth fiber stucking inside ......now its working perfectly as new....trust me guys the problem is dirty port.....mine friends also going through same problem...i also corrected his phone by doing same.

Last edited:

Ongybear

May 28, 2019
Visit site
Any else find a solution to this problem, my s9+ just started doing this 1 month off the manufacturer warranty :( *Cough* *planned obsolescence*.. Anyways I noticed that the charger that came with the phone doesnt fast charge anymore, but I noticed I was able to get it to fast charge using an Anker Powerbrick using Type C to Type C. However when you use a regular USB to Type C it will not fast charge. If I do send it for repair, does anyone know if Samsung will cover this issue or will this be out of pocket?

Czarina Academia

Dec 12, 2019
Visit site
My phone started the exact same way with my S8+. I first got a moisture warning (there was no moisture) then the fast charging didn't work anymore. Most times it will start as Fast Charging then within a second or so it drops to cable charging. Tried reboot, tried safe mode, cleaned the port pristine with plastic dental tools (all plaque and tarter removed =D )...I am at a loss. The problem remains unsolved. Is this how they get me to upgrade to a 9? I don't wanna upgrade until the S10. My 8+ works perfect otherwise.

Same exact thing happened to me. It started off as a moisture detection alarm which I am pretty sure was not accurate because my phone and charger were perfectly dry. I tried pouring alcohol to my charging port as some said it would help remove the moisture and some debris. Then I actually tried brushing the port with medium-soft bristled paint brush. After that I restarted my phone and the moisture problem was solved. But! It started reverting from Fast Charging to Cable Charging in a matter of 3 to 5 seconds. Which again was very odd. So I restarted my phone several times, it did not work. I tried disabling then enabling the Fast Charging option in my phone's Settings, still did not work. I figured it was the cable so i brushed off the dust/debris or whatever was inside the hollow part of the C-charger end of my cable. When I plugged it back into my phone's charger port, it actually worked. It is now fast charging again. Hope this helps.

Any else find a solution to this problem, my s9+ just started doing this 1 month off the manufacturer warranty :( *Cough* *planned obsolescence*.. Anyways I noticed that the charger that came with the phone doesnt fast charge anymore, but I noticed I was able to get it to fast charge using an Anker Powerbrick using Type C to Type C. However when you use a regular USB to Type C it will not fast charge. If I do send it for repair, does anyone know if Samsung will cover this issue or will this be out of pocket?

Have you tried using other original C-type Samsung Fast Chargers?

I've the same issue with my galaxy S9+, did you solve your issue? I tried your trick with reboot in recovery and wipe, but I still have the same issue

Someone actually commented below that after fixing the issue, the problem came back. I just solved my "moisture" and "Fast Charging reverting to Cable Charging" issued today and I really hope it stays fixed. What I did was apply alcohol in my phone's port and drying it out afterwards. Then I further cleaned the insides of the port and the C end of my charger using a medium-soft bristled small paintbrush to brush away any lint, dust, debris. I restarted my phone. When I charged it back, it went to normal (No moisture issue and Fast Charging normally). Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

dimeswizl

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Re: Fast charging reverting to cable chargwiing after a few seconds

Hi
Do these steps for solutions:
1-power off your phone.
2-power on your phone in download mode. (when samsung logo is shown press and hold volume down)
3-reset your cashe partition in download mode.
4-reset to factory settings in download mode.
5-let to your phone restart.
6-when phone is restarted go to settings from phone menu.
7-go to device maintenance.
8-touch the 3dot on top of page.
9-select about device maintenance.
10-update your device maintenance app.
Enjoy from your phone fast charge!

]

will this erase all my data ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

]

will this erase all my data ?
I dont know why he mentioned download mode , but you want to go recovery hold volume up and power button same time before the phone restart , clear cache , dont factory reset it will erase the device where you'll have to set it up like new , if you want try factory reset then that's a different story but just clear cache for now and restart the phone see how it is .

Sajid M

Feb 15, 2022
Visit site

Hi

I was facing the same issue of phone fast charging reverting back to normal charging. After reading through various suggestions on this forum I decided to clean the charging port. I used an alcohol swab and doubled it over a think nail file and proceeded to clean both sides (top and bottom) of the wafer thin plastic part inside the connector.

First couple of times the swab came out really black so I guess carbon buildup on the copper connections. Now the phone is charging in fast mode and not reverting to standard.

Process is quick and simple. Hope it helps someone.