Why do I keep getting a weird notification sound

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So a little over a month ago, I noticed this weird notification sound from my Galaxy S8 but there is no notification. It sound like it could be a sound to an app, but every time I download an app, I turn the notifications off. I've went into settings and turned off notification reminder and every other notification. Then on top of that, the sound isn't even a default notification I have on the phone. Now I hear the sound at least once a day. However, when I hear the sound, I don't get a message to where it's coming from. Does anyone have an idea what this may be?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It could be due to NFC -- try turning that off and see if the sound goes away. If NFC is on and you have something with an NFC chip near the phone (like certain credit cards in a wallet-type case), that can set off the NFC notification.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That or an incoming BT connection, maybe from an old device that was removed from the phone. That happens a lot when you switch phones with the same Model and leave the name the same.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. I've read dozens of the annoying notification that notified you of nothing. I have disabled all app notifications except for a few. Even with all of them disabled, it happens. I have noticed that it happens when at work. I'm using Tasker to determine based on proximity to wi-fi. Wi-fi, Bluetooth and NFC are disabled. So I don't know what is trying to connect. I get a beep then about 5 seconds later a vibration during this time, my Tasker is disabled, because my media volume goes to full blast. After the vibration, it goes back to normal until the next beep.

thanks in advance for any ideas. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

😞

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any notification reminders in the Accessibility settings? Or have you deleted any e-mails from your G-Mail account on your computer or any other device? That might delete the e-mail and your phone might not 'see' the change until it notifies you of it... and then realize it's been deleted and automatically dismiss the notification.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the reply. the accessibility notification reminder is off as well. I usually deal with email on the phone. this beep/vibrate happens constantly. sometimes 2 or 3 times within an hour.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does it happen periodically or randomly? Do you know anything that triggers it? Like lifting the phone from the table or while moving? Do you see anything on the screen when it happens or it turns on at all or is it just the sound? You mention it's not your default notification, but is it a sound that you recognize from the phone or that could be used to try to match to an app?

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
it happens randomly and have no idea what the trigger is. I only recognize it because it is a single beep then a few seconds later a vibration. is there a way to figure out what apps use a certain notification sound?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is a way to see your notification log IF it's a notification. Don't know of a way to know which app is using a certain sound unless you recognize it yourself.

You can download an app from the Play Store to see the Notification Log or History, or if you use a launcher that supports activities (like Nova), you can add a widget to do it. In Nova, for instance, tap the homescreen to add a widget, select the Activities widget (it will now ask you to configure the widget, selecting which activity you want to link to it), and there scroll down to Settings, expand it and select NOTIFICATION LOG.

You MIGHT need to enable developer mode if you don't see it in the Settings list, but not sure.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Make sure to let us know how it went! If you do find the culprit it might help others...and if not, we can keep trying to figure it out :)

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I finally did figure out what my issue was. I was using Tasker to determine my location by wifi at work. I don't know if Tasker periodically checks, or if the signal was lost; but the beep was letting me know that it recognized the wifi. I wasn't actually connecting to the wifi, Tasker can detect when a particular SSID is near. Once I changed this from checking wifi to using a location, it stopped. I'm not sure where the issue lies... my phone checking for wifi or something else; an issue in Tasker checking constantly causing my phone to beep; or my companies wifi going up and down.

I hope this helps others out. :)

mrspamt311

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
I had this same problem. I found the answer under the Accessibility setting. The Notification reminder was on and as soon as I turned it off the notifications stopped!

markf1

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I still have this problem. I am running Android 8.0.0 (Samsung Experience version 9) on an S8. The notification tone keeps sounding in a seemingly random way. There is no notification to match the tone. This happens maybe 5 or 6 times in 24 hours. It has been happening for 5 days.

I have turned off all notifications individually. I have turned off notifications for the phone. I have turned off notification reminders (it was never on). I have turned off NFC and bluetooth. I have checked under Accessibility settings.

I have installed 3 different notification log readers (NS Notification, Notif log notification history and Notification Log). None of them show any activity at the times when I am getting the spurious tone.

This is not just a beep or random noise. It is the default notification tone. (Skyline for completeness).

When I re-enable notifications for Texts, Messenger and WhatsApp, I still receive these as normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

veluva

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It could be due to NFC -- try turning that off and see if the sound goes away. If NFC is on and you have something with an NFC chip near the phone (like certain credit cards in a wallet-type case), that can set off the NFC notification.

Thank you very much! Finally got rid of these annoying notifications that gave me the creeps because they were so constant and I tried everything else possible, going app after app making sure their notifications were all set. The solution was as you said, turn off the NFC. it was my credit cards on my wallet-type case triggering this.

Tom Strancaric

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. I have also noticed the sound occurs when moving/lifting the device. Most of the time I can trigger the sound my moving my phone in a specific fashion/gesture.

It has made the sound without any interaction.
It does not occur when on silent mode. I have not noticed any vibrations associated with the sound.

With the exception of wiping the device, I have tried everything.

Android 8.0.0
Samsung Experience 9.0
Samsung S9+ / Bell Mobility

Desperaty seeking a solution!

Hi, I still have this problem. I am running Android 8.0.0 (Samsung Experience version 9) on an S8. The notification tone keeps sounding in a seemingly random way. There is no notification to match the tone. This happens maybe 5 or 6 times in 24 hours. It has been happening for 5 days.

I have turned off all notifications individually. I have turned off notifications for the phone. I have turned off notification reminders (it was never on). I have turned off NFC and bluetooth. I have checked under Accessibility settings.

I have installed 3 different notification log readers (NS Notification, Notif log notification history and Notification Log). None of them show any activity at the times when I am getting the spurious tone.

This is not just a beep or random noise. It is the default notification tone. (Skyline for completeness).

When I re-enable notifications for Texts, Messenger and WhatsApp, I still receive these as normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B52U

Sep 7, 2018
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. I have also noticed the sound occurs when moving/lifting the device. Most of the time I can trigger the sound my moving my phone in a specific fashion/gesture.

It has made the sound without any interaction.
It does not occur when on silent mode. I have not noticed any vibrations associated with the sound.

With the exception of wiping the device, I have tried everything.

Android 8.0.0
Samsung Experience 9.0
Samsung S9+ / Bell Mobility

Desperaty seeking a solution!

Here is what I discovered in my case where the mystery skyline tone was playing randomly. Rather than turning your application notifications off, you need to turn them all on and that will uncover which app is producing the tone. In my case I had an un-updated version of tapatalk that was doing it. After I confirmed that the tapatalk notifications were the ones popping up at the exact same time as the tone played I then went to google play and updated the app. I also changed the notification settings and priority for tapatalk. No skyline tone since.

Jonas Braga

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site
B. Diddy
Senior Ambassador
01-30-2018 01:20 PM

Awesome, It worked, it really was because I had 2 cards with a chip in my wallet case, took only one out and it stoped. but first i turned off the NFC to try and it worked. Turned back without the cards and no problem, put 2 cards in the wallet and sound came back than I left only one card and weird sound stoped. The chip on the cards are the problem, I guess more than one chip is a problem or depend on the chip of the card. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you very much.

LDwesty

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site

Yup, fixed it.
I recently started NFC for ChargePoint EV app.
Thank you, Larry