S8+ moisture detected error 100% of the time while in Caribbeans

koroshiyax

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I've seen various posts about Moisture detection in USB port errors for S8 and S8+ owners. Unfortunately, none of the solutions recommended worked while I was being affected (Clearing cache, rebooting, etc...).

I traveled to Cuba where the humidity level was 65-70% constant. From the moment I got off the plane, I was unable to charge my phone due to the Moisture has been detected error. For the next 8 days, the same error persisted even though I tried everything from all the forum posts.

However, once I got back on the plane and flew back to Toronto, the phone of course magically worked again, where humidity is much lower.

Does the phone just suck this bad in tropical humid countries?

I am unsure what to do at this point. I can't replicate the issue since I'm no longer in Cuba, and at the same time, I'm afraid to bring it to Samsung Repair since they may open it up and affect the waterproofing, or worse, provide me with a refurb when its only a few months old (Or tell me nothing is wrong lol).

Any advice?

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately your phone is accostumed to a different kind of weather, and without proper preparation, the change from the plane/airport AC and pretty much any room you go into that has it and the heat/high-humidity conditions, will invariably cause condensation in the phone, triggering the VERY sensible humidity detector.

When traveling between regions like that, the best thing to do is gradually bring the phone from the AC into the high-humidity environment (like in a bag or purse before taking it out) and let it dry out any condensation that might have occurred. I know, it sucks, but it's pretty much the same with most devices. The S8/Note 8, because of obvious reasons, have a VERY sensitive battery protection circuit now.

Can't remember if it lets you or not, but wireless charging shouldn't be affected.

koroshiyax

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, what you say definitely makes sense. However, my S8+ posted the same error 8 days in a row, I don't think it should take that long for a phone to get used to a new environment right?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you never let it dry out, yes, it's entirely possible. Leave a closed ziploc with water inside (your phone is waterproof, remember? it's very tightly sealed, but moist air still gets in). How long does the water last in the bag? Same thing with the phone. The water due to condensation might be inside the phone, and with a tight seal, letting it dry out might be an ordeal, especially because we can't keep our hands off our devices and either use them anyway or turn them on every two hours to see if it's dry now.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I spent 9 days in the Philippines at the end of December, going from dry and cold (not as dry and cold as Canada for sure) to there where the average humidity was around 75% 24/7 and never once had an issue with moisture being detected.

Has your phone been exposed to very low temperatures, regularly? Like outside of your pockets, etc...? I would imagine seals or glue could be compromised after prolonged exposure to extremely low temperatures.

What you experienced definitely doesn't sound 'normal' to me. I would send it in. But that's your call.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21