I received a text message that originated from a random number. The first thing in the body of the text was a phone number that I recognize from someone that I have in my contact list. The next part of the message indicated that I had a message pending at Verizon+ messaging and there was a link to download.

Message format: From random number: 1234567890: messages are waiting for you. Download Message+ to read these messages.

There was a link to get the app. I was previously a Verizon customer. I followed the link, but I realize I should not have done that. The link took me to the app in the play store. I installed it, but since I'm not with Verizon, I could not proceed with the setup.

After doing some research, I determined that the text message that I should have received was a group message and was successfully received by everyone else. I confirmed my number was included. I also determined that the placeholder I used for the valid phone number is a Verizon wireless number.

Additionally, I have successfully received group text messages from the "placeholder" number in the past. Neither Verizon or AT&T can explain what happened in this situation. There's seemingly no answer as to why everyone else that the group text was sent to, successfully received the message.

I had another person with Verizon service send me a text and it was received without any issues. Can anyone here provide any thoughts on how the message in question got to everyone else successfully, but I didn't get it even though I was included?
    02-16-2018 10:03 PM
    Did you have your mobile data on? If the group message was sent as an MMS, and if your mobile data wasn't on (or if your mobile data reception was poor), that might have caused it.
    02-19-2018 11:46 AM