smart lock/trusted places

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Any fix for getting this to work? I have it set to stay unlocked at home. It works for a day then seems to quit. I set it yesterday, it worked. I went to work and came home and it still worked, charged it overnight and when I got up it won't work anymore.
I set it to unlock with the "Trusted Location".
It seems to work in the car connected to trusted devices.
Why can't a wifi router be a trusted device?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone's Location set to High Accuracy? If it's on Battery Saving, that can be inaccurate up to several hundred yards, which could make the phone think you're not in the Trusted Place.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Unlike a lot of people, I've had really good luck with Smart Lock at home using location. Still... Please Samsung, make it available to connect with Wi-fi.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
What I've found helpful...Google App>settings>personal info>home and work locations>home> set your address.
Back to Smart Lock>Trusted Places>tap Home and tap turn on this location. Then, in addition to that, tap "add trusted place" when you are in the area you want to be unlocked at (mine is at my desk),and accept the location. It's kind of repeating what you've already told Google but it works for me 100% of the time.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
For location based, I had to manually place my location as it originally used the address or something. I ended up placing it closer to my router location in the map and it's been working fine since.

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
For location based, I had to manually place my location as it originally used the address or something. I ended up placing it closer to my router location in the map and it's been working fine since.
Mines been working a lot better since I reset it. I do notice when I take it off the charger in the morning I have to punch in my code but after that it works ok.

EVObastard

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Both my wife's and my Note 8 have stopped working within a day of each other. My suspicion is it is another app that has to interact with google.

Just spoke with a Samsung rep and have a possible solution
Settings >> Apps >> more options ( 3 vertical dots) >> tap on System apps
scroll to "google play services" and clear it's cache, reboot the phone and then check for the issue.

Last edited:

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have almost the same problem that was not a problem just a couple of weeks ago. My house is a trusted location and every morning I must manually unlock my phone and every time there after I must manually unlock my phone but if I reboot my phone in the morning then the trusted location works for the rest of the day. The next morning I'm back to manually unlocking the phone until I do a phone reboot, and all is well again.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Mine is not even working after a reboot anymore. I've gone to Google and made sure my address is correct. I've added another trusted place. Still nothing. It just stopped working all of a sudden, and it's EXTREMELY annoying!! I'm about to just turn my lock settings off altogether at this point, and I shouldn't have to do that. If you include a feature in a phone, it should work. If it doesn't work, it's just bloatware at that point. Ridiculous.

TammyT72

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
Both my wife's and my Note 8 have stopped working within a day of each other. My suspicion is it is another app that has to interact with google.

Just spoke with a Samsung rep and have a possible solution
Settings >> Apps >> more options ( 3 vertical dots) >> tap on System apps
scroll to "google play services" and clear it's cache, reboot the phone and then check for the issue.

My cache is already cleared. It didn't give me an option to clear it

Last edited:

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine would work when I got home from work. It would work for the evening then quit working in the morning when I get up. I have to continue to use fingerprint or pin to unlock the phone, trusted places just quit working. Time to leave the house for work but when I got home in the evening trusted places starting to work once again, without manually unlocking the phone. The whole cycle starts again in the morning. Not sure if that is normal and/or working as intended.

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
It is normal, usually if not used for certain number of hours like 4 hours it will lock itself.

Ummm, still rather strange tho. I got that if not use for a long time it will prompt for fingerprint or PIN. What I don't get it is when I got up in the morning and if I want to use the phone I have to manually unlock it, I'm okay with that. But went to shower came back out and my phone was locked I have to manually unlock it again. I should not have to do that since I don't shower for 4 hours or longer :D

All I have to do to get the trusted places working again is to go to work and come back and/or leave the trusted area and back.... weird

MatthewChow

Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
I was having the same problem but changing (or adding) the location from a street address to a set of coordinates seemed to fix it for me. Just go into the smart lock menu, trusted places, create a new point, and move it slightly so that it is using coordinates rather than a street address.

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I was having the same problem but changing (or adding) the location from a street address to a set of coordinates seemed to fix it for me. Just go into the smart lock menu, trusted places, create a new point, and move it slightly so that it is using coordinates rather than a street address.
Did that, worked for a while and quit working again

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
hi all,

this is what i found. if you go into smart lock, press on three-dots, then help. it says "if you DO NOT use the smart unlock for 4 hours or if you restart your phone". this will stop working and you need to set it up again.

i find this to be a bug. why should a feature stop working after 4 hours???

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
hi all,

this is what i found. if you go into smart lock, press on three-dots, then help. it says "if you DO NOT use the smart unlock for 4 hours or if you restart your phone". this will stop working and you need to set it up again.

I can set my phone to automatically connect to my Wi-Fi when I get home,why can't they make that a smart lock feature?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
hi all,

Security.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton