smart lock/trusted places

GeoffNET

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Like many here, I've tried various fixes with temporary success. But I'd like to add one thing that might help:

If, like me, you're still kinda using your old phone (as a media player, etc.) and it has Location turned on, turn it off. Or even, turn the whole phone off. After doing this, my new LG V30 has yet to ask me for my fingerprint when I'm at home (minus the 4-hour inactivity thing).

My thought is that, since both devices are signed in under the same Google account, they may be trying to send simultaneous signals claiming "I'm here!" And if these two signals are far enough apart, the margin of error on my exact location has to be big enough to include both, which could put me "potentially" outside my trusted place.

After the 4-hour inactivity period, I tried leaving home and coming back; it remembers I'm in a trusted place on its own. Sometimes it takes the phone a few minutes to realize that, but after turning off my old phone, I have yet to resort to "clearing cache" or "toggling location for Google Play Services".

Update:

I let my phone stay inactive overnight and when I woke up, it asked for my fingerprint, as expected. Gave it a few minutes to see if it realized I was in a trusted place on its own -- it did not. Then, without leaving home, I loaded Maps (which gets my location) and then exited, and tested the Smart Lock again. It still asked for my fingerprint. I then went shopping, and when I came home, it unlocked automatically.

Combined with previous evidence, this seems to indicate it may just be that Smart Lock needs to request its own location refresh after the 4-hour inactivity period. My old phone (LG G4) did that on its own; I remember seeing the location icon appear briefly right after using it first thing in the morning.

I will try to send this feedback to Google via an appropriate method.

Last edited:

GeoffNET

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Update 2:

I forgot to mention that during my testing of this phenomenon, I had removed "location" from Snapchat's permissions. Since things appeared to be (relatively) normal, I decided to give Snapchat access to my location again. After using one of Snaphcat's geo-filters while at home, Smart Lock asked for my fingerprint again. I think this issue may be affected by Snapchat's location permission.

After re-disabling location access in Snapchat, I waited five minutes at home and still needed to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone. I then went for a quick walk around the block, and lo and behold, when I got home, my phone unlocked itself again.

To clarify, other apps like Maps and Transit do not cause this problem. I am from this point forward disabling location permission in Snapchat.

Last edited:

GeoffNET

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Exactly! Makes absolutely no sense to not include WiFi connections in with the other smart lock options currently available.

Without going into details, WiFi connections are not as secure as paired Bluetooth connections. There is a bigger risk for a WiFi connection to be "faked" in order to trick a phone into thinking it's on a "safe" WiFi connection when it's not, at which point the phone would be vulnerable.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Update 2:

I forgot to mention that during my testing of this phenomenon, I had removed "location" from Snapchat's permissions. Since things appeared to be (relatively) normal, I decided to give Snapchat access to my location again. After using one of Snaphcat's geo-filters while at home, Smart Lock asked for my fingerprint again. I think this issue may be affected by Snapchat's location permission.

After re-disabling location access in Snapchat, I waited five minutes at home and still needed to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone. I then went for a quick walk around the block, and lo and behold, when I got home, my phone unlocked itself again.

To clarify, other apps like Maps and Transit do not cause this problem. I am from this point forward disabling location permission in Snapchat.

I don't even have Snapchat installed and I still can't get location based smart lock to work properly. It has nothing to do with Snapchat.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Without going into details, WiFi connections are not as secure as paired Bluetooth connections. There is a bigger risk for a WiFi connection to be "faked" in order to trick a phone into thinking it's on a "safe" WiFi connection when it's not, at which point the phone would be vulnerable.

I'm sorry, that doesn't make much sense to me. My WiFi is very secure, and my phone needs the password to connect to it. If it were included as an option for smart lock, I would have to approve my particular secured WiFi connection in those settings. Not just any general WiFi connection would work, but only that specific secured WiFi connection I approved. How could this connection be faked exactly?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, that doesn't make much sense to me. My WiFi is very secure, and my phone needs the password to connect to it. If it were included as an option for smart lock, I would have to approve my particular secured WiFi connection in those settings. Not just any general WiFi connection would work, but only that specific secured WiFi connection I approved. How could this connection be faked exactly?
No your wifi is actually not very secure. A password does not make it secure. A WiFi connection can be spoofed. All the hacker has to do is hack his way into your WiFi and once he's in, he can copy the PSK the WiFi gives and make his own router transmit the exact same information, making your phone think its the same thing. Anybody with enough time and reason to do so will hack through it. And since WiFi connections aren't really a private network but used by multiple people in areas, this opens it up to a lot of issues which can be used in say, corporate espionage. Somebody can spoof a sensitive official's home wifi and use that to break into his phone.

Bluetooth isn't much safer, but it's a personal network. Meaning most often nobody connects to your own network other than you. So nobody might really know which network is yours. Also unlike WiFi which is impractical to keep invisible unless it's your own home network, you can do that with Bluetooth. While it's still perfectly possible to hack an invisible Bluetooth, you're a transient. That network is moving along with you. It would take too much effort and time for a hacker to follow you hours on end to sniff out your Bluetooth and to filter out which one is yours. It's not hard to find a way to break into.a Bluetooth connection. It's just too much of a hassle to try doing it.

You're looking at this from your own perspective only. But Google is looking at this from a perspective where it's also looking to make headway into enterprise devices which needs that kind of security but balanced with convenience.

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I too have had the same problems with "Smart Lock - Trusted Places" and I finally gave up and used Tasker (well worth the price) and now it works PERFECTLY. I have it set to auto lock after 4 hours, and to lock immediately when not in range of my wifi (set with name and MAC address). Stop beating up on smart lock and just move on to a working solution (I know that it should work 100%, but it doesn't)...

GeoffNET

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I don't even have Snapchat installed and I still can't get location based smart lock to work properly. It has nothing to do with Snapchat.

Alright, that's one for, and one against. Our sample size is growing! Let's get more!

And to be clear, I didn't say it had something to do with Snapchat. I said it had to do with Snapchat's access to my location. Meaning that, there may be various "my location" values stored in my phone, and Snapchat and Trusted Places interact with the same one, while Maps and Trusted Places maybe don't.

If there are different "location" values, it makes me wonder what apps access what values...

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I too have had the same problems with "Smart Lock - Trusted Places" and I finally gave up and used Tasker (well worth the price) and now it works PERFECTLY. I have it set to auto lock after 4 hours, and to lock immediately when not in range of my wifi (set with name and MAC address). Stop beating up on smart lock and just move on to a working solution (I know that it should work 100%, but it doesn't)...

Never used Tasker but always wanted to give it a try. Do you experience any significant battery drain while using it?

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I also had never used it, no I don't notice much difference on the battery.
I used the step by step guide from the Tasker owner: Disable and enable your lock screen at will (No Root!) | AutoApps Forums
You can also google search for completed "profiles" and download and import them, so you really can play without to much knowledge (I know - that can be bad...)
I also use tasker to get rid of that annoying Your playing your music to loud nag...

PalmTreoOldster

Oct 8, 2018
Visit site
None of my security methods work any more. Not Trusted Places, Not Bluetooth, Not On my Person. I, too, am almost ready to eliminate all security (but I know I won't).

billmunro2001

Feb 26, 2019
Visit site
I have had this issue for a couple years on my Samsung s7 and have tried a lot of the solutions with no success. So far this has worked for me: I first activated my home address. Then I got my DNA coordinates from a site that calculates them from my street address. I then added them as a trusted location. I checked them again on the site every time trusted location unlock stopped working. It took few days doing this and adding new coordinates (I now have 5 or 6), as I sometimes got different gps coordinates from the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty