06-10-2018 08:18 AM
43 12
tools
    I was having significant battery drain problems, did a factory reset, and battery drained continued. Android systems was taking up a significant portion of the usage. And trying to troubleshoot and figure it out, I went through all apps to see what was using so much battery. Gear VR Services was using over 58% of battery when I looked at it yesterday. This is part of Android systems high-percentage, it's a systems app and cannot be disabled. Since having this phone I have known set up gear VR or used it, so it's a little Annoying that this is running and using so much battery in the background. I finally got a package disabler Pro, disabled it, and so far today battery life is much better. Haven't ran through a few Cycles to know for sure, but definitely something to look at.
    This is interesting. I used the VR a month or 2 ago, but haven't used it since. I wonder if that is also affecting my battery life.
    04-13-2018 10:46 AM
    I have the exact same problem on my S8 plus. Just last week I noticed battery draining fast! Last night my battery went from 70% to 3% 😳 in 9 hours, no use. I haven't done anything accept the oreo update...
    04-13-2018 12:03 PM
    This may have been mentioned but make sure you have location settings set to Battery Saver unless you're actively using mapping. IME, it makes a dramatic difference. More than once I've gone in to find that Android Auto or some other app switched it to High Accuracy and thus unleashed the battery vampires.
    04-13-2018 12:06 PM
    What I don't get is I have had other updates and never done a factory reset in a year and never had to play with settings. I always left wifi on. Now my batter drains at least twice as fast. I would have moderate use. I installed gsam and see wifi uses a ton of power, but it never was a problem before.
    04-13-2018 12:14 PM
    I performed the factory reset and the result was.... zero!
    Overnight 25% of battery gone... that means if i don't use my phone at all the battery will last 24 hours. Nobody can be happy with this kind of "performance".
    Same as before, Android system eats the biggest chunk of the battery.
    Attached Thumbnails What Happened to my battery life ?-screenshot_20180414-071904_settings.jpg  
    04-14-2018 06:47 AM
    Forgot about disabling gear vr. Gonna give that a run too, thanks for the reminder.
    04-14-2018 10:05 AM
    Forgot about disabling gear vr. Gonna give that a run too, thanks for the reminder.
    I turned off a bunch of things, including VR and yet no improvement. This is not normal however we look at it, when you make no changes to your apps and the way you use your phone , the battery should not behave like this.
    From my point of view the problem comes, only, from the system update... Unfortunately i couldn't find anything related to this subject to show me that this is perceived as problem for the Android developers.
    04-14-2018 10:29 AM
    Another system update fixed the problem!
    A good day to everyone!
    tuckertje01 likes this.
    05-03-2018 05:29 AM
    Mine just started dying rapidly yesterday. No new apps... I turned on phone and battery dropped 23% in an hour! I had maybe 10 min of SOT at most and a few seconds of that was turning off high accuracy WiFi when I powered up.
    Wondering if it's system or battery. Charging is still quick and nothing seems to be draining much when I look at battery usage.
    I've been on Oreo for a few weeks now... This battery drain is sudden.
    05-09-2018 05:54 AM
    I am getting terrible battery life as well. Just created an account so I can just say how bad Oreo has wrecked my S8's battery. Mine is on AT&T if that makes any difference. I've also noticed that my phone seems to get hot more, that may be due to the system running for no reason.
    Attached Thumbnails What Happened to my battery life ?-smartselect_20180510-204246_settings.jpg   What Happened to my battery life ?-smartselect_20180510-204218_settings.jpg  
    05-10-2018 08:52 PM
    I was having significant battery drain problems, did a factory reset, and battery drained continued. Android systems was taking up a significant portion of the usage. And trying to troubleshoot and figure it out, I went through all apps to see what was using so much battery. Gear VR Services was using over 58% of battery when I looked at it yesterday. This is part of Android systems high-percentage, it's a systems app and cannot be disabled. Since having this phone I have known set up gear VR or used it, so it's a little Annoying that this is running and using so much battery in the background. I finally got a package disabler Pro, disabled it, and so far today battery life is much better. Haven't ran through a few Cycles to know for sure, but definitely something to look at.
    I'm trying to disable gear vr. Installed the package Disabler Pro, but can't die the life of me figure out the pdp engine that I need to enable (disable?). There's nothing in settings about it.
    AmyC76 likes this.
    05-11-2018 04:11 PM
    Hello all, been some time since I have frequented these forums. Life hasn't been so kind as of late. With no computer I found it too much to try and get on forums through my phone so I just gave up. Well I am back at least for this new issue. My battery life on my S8+ has tanked over the past few months.

So only a few months ago I was still getting about a day or so of battery life with my phone. Out of nowhere I am lucky to get a few hours of battery life with my phone. It has to do with an update, whether it was Android, Samsung or Sprint one of them has put through an update that kills battery life.

Why this conclusion? Because I have not put any new apps on my phone in nearly 6 months. I do not use my phone any less or more than I did previously. Just last night before I went to sleep I had went and optimized the phone through settings. My phone was at 36%, I had gotten woken up about 4 hours later and while I was awake I took a quick look at my phone, it was down to 2%. Only a few months ago that 36% would have maybe gone down to 30% by morning and I would still be using my phone half way through my work day before I decided to charge it at 12%-15% where I normally will plug in my phone for charging.

I know the rotten fruit people were putting through battery drain and power drops with older phones to force people to buy their latest and greatest. So now I have to worry about this with Android/Samsung?

Is there anyway to revert back Android 6 months without losing any of my info? Will the phone just keep forcing Android to update? Is this a new issue I just haven't read about yet, since I haven't really researched it?

With all the issues I have had with this phone and sprint I am going to be jumping carriers come contract end and probably going to the Pixel phones.
    updated to Oreo. battery was horrible. after reset now good
    Attached Thumbnails What Happened to my battery life ?-17805.jpg  
    05-11-2018 04:47 PM
    updated to Oreo. battery was horrible. after reset now good
    When you reset did you have everything reinstall from a backup or did you just redownload everything manually?
    05-11-2018 10:29 PM
    When you reset did you have everything reinstall from a backup or did you just redownload everything manually?
    only sms and contacts restored from back up, rest downloaded manually. preferred if you start clean without anything from back up.
    05-12-2018 07:39 AM
    That Gear VR is what's now destroying my battery!!
    I'm trying to disable gear vr. Installed the package Disabler Pro, but can't die the life of me figure out the pdp engine that I need to enable (disable?). There's nothing in settings about it.
    05-12-2018 08:43 PM
    My phone lost runtime capacity after 6 months of usage. I am not sure it has anything at all do with Oreo upgrade. It kinda began before that.
    05-14-2018 12:18 PM
    bought used galaxy s7. did factory reset. gear vr service was draining battery like crazy. i uninstalled it like this in 5 minutes:

1. Factory wipe; this may not be necessary for you, but I was having trouble with step 2 until I went back and did this factory wipe. Try skipping this step first and see if you have better luck.
    ( for me this was not necessary )

2. On a computer, install ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and connect your phone via USB cable; I believe you have to enable "USB debugging" on your phone; google this since I'm not sure the same instructions work for every phone.
    3. After opening ADB, type each of the following lines into the terminal window:
    a) adb shell
    b) pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.hmt.vrshell
    c) pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.vrsetupwizardstub
    d) pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.hmt.vrsvc

My Apps list now shows Gear VR as "not installed", and hopefully that will prevent future issues from this particular bug

(source: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/.../337119#M55655
    badcat likes this.
    06-06-2018 04:01 PM
    Hello all, been some time since I have frequented these forums. Life hasn't been so kind as of late. With no computer I found it too much to try and get on forums through my phone so I just gave up. Well I am back at least for this new issue. My battery life on my S8+ has tanked over the past few months.

So only a few months ago I was still getting about a day or so of battery life with my phone. Out of nowhere I am lucky to get a few hours of battery life with my phone. It has to do with an update, whether it was Android, Samsung or Sprint one of them has put through an update that kills battery life.

Why this conclusion? Because I have not put any new apps on my phone in nearly 6 months. I do not use my phone any less or more than I did previously. Just last night before I went to sleep I had went and optimized the phone through settings. My phone was at 36%, I had gotten woken up about 4 hours later and while I was awake I took a quick look at my phone, it was down to 2%. Only a few months ago that 36% would have maybe gone down to 30% by morning and I would still be using my phone half way through my work day before I decided to charge it at 12%-15% where I normally will plug in my phone for charging.

I know the rotten fruit people were putting through battery drain and power drops with older phones to force people to buy their latest and greatest. So now I have to worry about this with Android/Samsung?

Is there anyway to revert back Android 6 months without losing any of my info? Will the phone just keep forcing Android to update? Is this a new issue I just haven't read about yet, since I haven't really researched it?

With all the issues I have had with this phone and sprint I am going to be jumping carriers come contract end and probably going to the Pixel phones.
    Do you have Bixby or Google Assistant on standby? Usually it's on by default, make sure it's turned off.. to see if it's on, just say "OK, Google" or "Hi, Bixby". Do you have instant messaging apps? Facebook Messenger (and Facebook too) is a battery killer, it is running 24/7 (as well as other social media and messaging apps). Do you turn off WiFi/Data when you're not using it? Send us a screenshot of the battery stats and show us what's hogging the battery, it's in your settings, click battery and it'll show you.
    06-10-2018 08:18 AM
43 12