I've had android phones for quite a while and I know that the carriers always take a long time to get the new updates pushed out.

Now with the Android p developer preview coming soon and maybe a final Android p coming by the end of the year, will AT&T ever get around to pushing out the oreo update for the S8? I'm new to AT&T, so I don't know what their time frame is with updates.
    03-08-2018 06:04 PM
    Give up all hopes of ever getting it on AT&T............ then and only then.... will they release it. Seriously, though, it'll come eventually but AT&T is never really in a hurry. :|
    03-09-2018 02:18 AM
    May be a minute on that. First Samsung has to approve their updates for everyone. Then it goes to AT&T for their approval and certification. Then it gets rolled out. Hopefully soon though. I gotta think Samsung is done on their end.
    03-09-2018 05:21 AM
    May be a minute on that. First Samsung has to approve their updates for everyone. Then it goes to AT&T for their approval and certification. Then it gets rolled out. Hopefully soon though. I gotta think Samsung is done on their end.
    Since it's already rolling out across Europe for the S8 series, Samsung has done its thing.

AT&T has to do their 3 to 6 month "testing" with the final build. And, it still can go back and forth with Samsung if AT&T has any issues with it. Plus, AT&T still has to add their bloat, block/lock out certain settings/features, etc.
    03-09-2018 10:10 AM
    It's fairly obvious that U.S. carriers slow roll Android updates on flagship phones to entice one to purchase a new phone. If Apple can push IOS roll outs simultaneous to call carriers, then it's fairly obvious this is a solvable problem. I think carrier bloatware is the main problem here. I have a Galaxy S8 on Verizon and Verizon has yet to push out Oreo as well.

I knew going in when I purchased my S8 from Verizon that this was a potential problem, however, my prior phone died on my in the middle of a bicycle tour and I needed a phone ASAP and my best option was a carrier specific S8. I would have preferred to purchase an unlocked one, but I was kind of stuck. Oh well, I like by S8 and I'm not disappointed that I don't have Oreo as of yet since there is no feature on it that would make much difference to me.
    AKFL3TCH3R likes this.
    03-09-2018 11:54 AM
    Give up all hopes of ever getting it on AT&T............ then and only then.... will they release it. Seriously, though, it'll come eventually but AT&T is never really in a hurry. :|
    What if you have the US Unlocked version using the AT&T network?
    03-09-2018 05:05 PM
    The US unlocked will get it from Samsung regardless of what carrier the phone is used on. The unlocked versions have been getting security updates after carrier phones though, so don't know if having an unlocked version is beneficial this case.
    03-09-2018 10:45 PM
    Last year I got the 7 update on my S7 like 3 days before I got my S8+ delivered. I don't expect this for at least another month or so
    03-10-2018 07:34 PM