Mic stops working during cellular calls after few minutes as random

k1p

Mar 9, 2018
Visit site
Mic stops working during cellular calls after few minutes as random.

Hi there, this is my second phone but the same issue over and over again, I'm with h2o wireless and I'm almost sure Samsung s8 plus somehow is not compatible with this network!

I've done unthinkable to fix this issue but still no luck!

The mic works no problem with all the application but actual phone call giving random issue!
safe mode the same.

Any idea please?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
H2O uses AT&T's towers, so I doubt that it's a compatibility problem with the phone. (It it were, AT&T would have landed on Samsung with both feet.) Are you sure the phone mice works with all applications? The phone has 2 mics, one on the bottom for phone calls when you hold the phone to your ear, another near (or at) the top of the phone for things like voice recording, Skype, etc. Try going to speakerphone on a phone call. If that works, it's the bottom mic.

Since it happened on two phones, I'm going to guess that you keep the hone in your picket, bottom in. That shoves lint and thread into that hole, and fabric is a great sound insulator. Find the mic hole (look in the manual or look for a manual online), and look into it with a bright light. If there's anything in there that looks like lint, use a thin sharp wooden toothpick to pick it out.

If not, the phone is defective. (Two in a row with the same defect is long odds, but I guess it's possible.)

k1p

Mar 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for reply, this is not a hardware issue it's software! it does the something while using Bluetooth as well.

William Siemons

Oct 18, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem. After a random period of time, some people can't hear me anymore, but I can hear them
I am using a Sony Xperia XZ2.
The issue is not related to hardware as it happens with phone, carkit and jabra headset.

What I noticed is that the issue only seems to occur with other people that have an apple iphone.
I am starting to suspect that it might be related to incompatibilities between brands and/or telecom providers on VoLTE. E.g. Vodaphone appeared to have had some compatibility issues.
Other than that I haven't found a solution.

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Interestingly I get this when calling partner's iPhone. Excatly as you describe - one side drops out, then the call gets dropped. On Voice Over LTE here also. Signal is dire otherwise. Internet connection also runs a VOIP service which is flawless.

I can't think of any particular coincidences. I've just assumed it's an Apple bug. Because it only happens when I call that phone. So - probably - an Apple update is to blame. (I had Apple iPhones before).

Actually, around that time, I think there mnight have been another Apple bug this time one which turns on Do Not Disturb randomly and we wondered if this was why the calls were dropping. That was months ago, but it's not exactly unusual for Apple to leave really important stuff broken for long periods of time.

Or the network was poor at their end. Except it happens in multiple locations including places where the signal is fine.

Or, there is a hardware fault with that phone. If it bothers the other person enough they can investigate it ;)

Here, "this end" - my phone - is on EE and the other (their phone) is on one of the Vodafone resellers the name of which escapes me right now.