Hi Guys,

On the verge of buying an S8 today and moving from my iphone 5S, just a few niggly Qs before I buy....can you share views, most are simple

-------------------------------------

How do apps look on the phone with it being a longer screen rather than proportionate with iphones? Do they end up being iphone size on a big screen with black bits? If you get snapchats or whatever from a smaller phone they must look pretty weird…

Do you get notification numbers on whatsapp, messages, facebook etc icons?

How long does a full charge battery last you?

Can I see the notification widgets for whatsapp if possible? The iPhone has like 4-8 icons for each contact with number of messages next to each, its pretty handy!

Can you change the standard cartoony emojis to the iphone ones? Particularly within whatsapp

Can you have multiple ‘keyboards’ including the bitmoji one you can switch between? Minor but I’m curious…

Another weird one, is the Bank of Scotland app on the appstore equivalent?

Is there an equivalent to the iphone passbook?

Do notifications appear on the lockscreen and can I see them if they do? Or do I need to unlock it everytime?

How do you unlock your phone? Face recognition? The pattern code thing? I hear the fingerprint sensor is just awkward to use…

There’s a few podcasts on iTunes I listen to but they’re not on spotify, is there a way to listen to them? One called ‘The Richard Nicholls podcast’ for example.

Thoughts on Bixby? Can you change the default bixby button to something else?

Any issues that you’ve had?

I know its long, but I'm picky.

Cheers!
    03-15-2018 08:52 AM
    Hi Guys,

On the verge of buying an S8 today and moving from my iphone 5S, just a few niggly Qs before I buy....can you share views, most are simple

-------------------------------------

How do apps look on the phone with it being a longer screen rather than proportionate with iphones? Do they end up being iphone size on a big screen with black bits? If you get snapchats or whatever from a smaller phone they must look pretty weird…

Do you get notification numbers on whatsapp, messages, facebook etc icons?

How long does a full charge battery last you?

Can I see the notification widgets for whatsapp if possible? The iPhone has like 4-8 icons for each contact with number of messages next to each, its pretty handy!

Can you change the standard cartoony emojis to the iphone ones? Particularly within whatsapp

Can you have multiple ‘keyboards’ including the bitmoji one you can switch between? Minor but I’m curious…

Another weird one, is the Bank of Scotland app on the appstore equivalent?

Is there an equivalent to the iphone passbook?

Do notifications appear on the lockscreen and can I see them if they do? Or do I need to unlock it everytime?

How do you unlock your phone? Face recognition? The pattern code thing? I hear the fingerprint sensor is just awkward to use…

There’s a few podcasts on iTunes I listen to but they’re not on spotify, is there a way to listen to them? One called ‘The Richard Nicholls podcast’ for example.

Thoughts on Bixby? Can you change the default bixby button to something else?

Any issues that you’ve had?

I know its long, but I'm picky.

Cheers!
    Hi from one Scotsman to another.

I'll try to answer the best I can. There are no black bits on the display when viewing apps, they fill the screen fine and don't look distorted.

Yes you get notification badges on what's app etc by default I think, I have them enabled.

You can download and change the keyboards or emoticons etc, Android is very flexible with this kind of stuff.

Yup notifications are on lock screen, there is also the always on display which shows if you have notifications and the led light, lots of ways you will see if you have a notification.

The bank of Scotland app, I can't comment, I use their website as can't be bothered registering another app.

Unlocking there are a lot of options, iris scanning, face recognition, finger print, known locations... You will find one that suits you well.

Bixby... Work in progress is the best I can say. Google assistant is great and also on the phone, understands Scottish well.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    03-15-2018 09:22 AM
    Cheers for the reply mate!

So right now one of the tiny things putting me off is that apparently the notification badges on icons are just dots in the latest Oreo software, not numbers, is that the case? Also glitches with whatsapp not showing on the lockscreen?

I use whatsapp to message everyone, literally nobody texts me, so that functionality is kinda important to me.

Seems to be very minor things kinda bugging me. Reading up things there seems to be many folk have glitches with things on Android, things randomly not working etc but you never really get that on iOS.
    With iPhones I know exactly what I'm getting but paying £6-700+ for a phone which is essentially the same as what I have, except faster, just doesn't seem to excite me...

Oh, and incase you didn't realise, I'm indecisive
    03-15-2018 10:18 AM

So right now one of the tiny things putting me off is that apparently the notification badges on icons are just dots in the latest Oreo software, not numbers, is that the case? Also glitches with whatsapp not showing on the lockscreen?

I use whatsapp to message everyone, literally nobody texts me, so that functionality is kinda important to me.

Seems to be very minor things kinda bugging me. Reading up things there seems to be many folk have glitches with things on Android, things randomly not working etc but you never really get that on iOS.
    With iPhones I know exactly what I'm getting but paying £6-700+ for a phone which is essentially the same as what I have, except faster, just doesn't seem to excite me...

Hi, I can't honestly say I've noticed any glitches with notifications on the lock screen. With the always on display the what's app logo will alert you to a notification, the led will start flashing purple too. At that point I turn the screen on and tend to swipe down to see all my notifications (I can reply from there too). My own experience is that notifications are handled better on android than ios, far easier to manage, through that could be just me. No issues with whats app at all.

The new oreo update, I can't say about badges, I've not used it. The phone runs Samsung experience as it's launcher (the skin over android) and if you don't like it you can change it in the app store to another. Look at nova or Microsoft launcher etc to get an idea of this. Android can be changed completely in how you interact with it, so you can always have badges and way more with some of the apps on the Google play store.
    03-15-2018 10:57 AM

In the latest update you can have either numbers or dots depending on your preference .Just go to settings if numbers are what you want .
    03-15-2018 01:23 PM