Oreo messaging notifications

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems that Oreo has removed the ability to have custom notification tones per Google contact. Why do they have to screw it up by removing features?

novahob

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Google contacts and can confirm on UK unlocked firmware that you can still have a ringtone per contact. In fact looking in Samsung contact app I can see the same ringtone assigned in both apps. Have tested this and it works. You can assign a ringtone in the Samsung app also.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Google contacts and can confirm on UK unlocked firmware that you can still have a ringtone per contact. In fact looking in Samsung contact app I can see the same ringtone assigned in both apps. Have tested this and it works. You can assign a ringtone in the Samsung app also.
He meant message tone, not ring tone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it was there with noguat as that's why I switched to messenger
Samsung has had it since at least 4.3. I have an S3 on 4.3 and an S7 on Nougat here with me and both have it. The S9 is the first to not have it on Samsung in a long time.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm referring to contact specific text message notifications. The contact specific ring tone (for phone calls) is still there, but they removed the ability to do the same for text messages. Dumb.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I hope it's just an Oreo thing because it's gone in the S8+ w/Oreo.

Hopefully they fix it in the next update for those that use it

beardking

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow. What exactly was the thought process behind this? "Let's take something that is functioning just fine and **** around with it just to irritate the people that use the stock messaging app. That'll be fun!!"

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The ability to set unique notification sounds for labels in Gmail is gone as well.

I guess I haven't kept up on the changes/bugs that came with Oreo, but doing a quick search revealed a lot of people complaining about the Gmail label problem last fall already. The fact that Google hasn't resolved this yet is bothersome.

Steve valade

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
what a rediculouse thing to do ! is it possible to go back to nougat from Oreo ? be able to assign a specific notification tone to a specific individual was it pretty important feature to me I'm very upset that they did away with it just dumb no matter what angle you look at it from !! whoever decided to do this hold their head out of there A&# !

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
what a rediculouse thing to do ! is it possible to go back to nougat from Oreo ? be able to assign a specific notification tone to a specific individual was it pretty important feature to me I'm very upset that they did away with it just dumb no matter what angle you look at it from !! whoever decided to do this hold their head out of there A&# !
Just use a different SMS app.

StephaneM60

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
what a rediculouse thing to do !.../...I'm very upset that they did away with it just dumb no matter what angle you look at it from !!
I guess they had to do it because it was less work for them : in Oreo, notifications are getting a new feature called "channel" (If I'm not wrong). Basically, any application can have now different notifications that can be managed totally (on/off, sound, vibration, behavior) through the android system. Before this, one application = one notification setting with limited settings (on/off and privacy).

So to do what the SMS app was doing (and some other apps like Nine) and doing it the right way, must have needed toot much rework for this update.

Look at the Google Android Messages app, and you'll immediately see how the notifications should be properly managed now. That's a great new features because all notification can be managed in the same place and customized the way you like it (I always found dumb that for some app you were unable to change the sound and must go with the default one)

So I'm pretty sure they will update the SMS native app, if 1) users complains and 2) it's easy to change and yet still have the custom sms tone settings in the contact view (and I guess it's here that the difficulty lies : it may now be impossible to set the tone for the contact when you do notifications in the right way because the custom tone has to be assigned in the notifications settings)

As I missed much this custom tone feature for SMS, I now use Android Messages... It's a very nice and simple SMS app from Google. The two things you'll miss : Edge lighting and Themes...

perlmane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess they had to do it because it was less work for them : in Oreo, notifications are getting a new feature called "channel" (If I'm not wrong). Basically, any application can have now different notifications that can be managed totally (on/off, sound, vibration, behavior) through the android system. Before this, one application = one notification setting with limited settings (on/off and privacy).

So to do what the SMS app was doing (and some other apps like Nine) and doing it the right way, must have needed toot much rework for this update.

Look at the Google Android Messages app, and you'll immediately see how the notifications should be properly managed now. That's a great new features because all notification can be managed in the same place and customized the way you like it (I always found dumb that for some app you were unable to change the sound and must go with the default one)

So I'm pretty sure they will update the SMS native app, if 1) users complains and 2) it's easy to change and yet still have the custom sms tone settings in the contact view (and I guess it's here that the difficulty lies : it may now be impossible to set the tone for the contact when you do notifications in the right way because the custom tone has to be assigned in the notifications settings)

As I missed much this custom tone feature for SMS, I now use Android Messages... It's a very nice and simple SMS app from Google. The two things you'll miss : Edge lighting and Themes...

This is horrible. They have to fix it. I am forced to go back to my note 8 and return the 9+. Will not upgrade the note to O until it is fixed.