09-13-2018 11:15 AM
130 ... 3456
tools
    Thanks Tony Smith Photo. How do I access this upgrade? My phone is saying no updates are available and phone is up to date.
    You can't find this update, its a very old version, the actual version you want is 5.0.21.18 according to my Galaxy S7, you can find it on apkmirror and install it on your phone, it won't have the notification function in contacts, but you will be able to personalize the sounds for each conversation in txt message app.
    bluesuga likes this.
    07-03-2018 11:16 AM
    Most of the solutions seem to provide a unique tone per text conversation (as opposed to per contact). I tried Android Messages and couldn't find an option to set a unique tone per contact. Did I overlook a setting in Android Messages? If not, do any of the other third party apps support setting a unique message notification tone per contact?
    07-03-2018 12:02 PM
    Most of the solutions seem to provide a unique tone per text conversation (as opposed to per contact). I tried Android Messages and couldn't find an option to set a unique tone per contact. Did I overlook a setting in Android Messages? If not, do any of the other third party apps support setting a unique message notification tone per contact?

Nope, sadly, its the main problem we have cause Contacts app was redone by Samsung, and doesn't provide the custom notifications tones anymore. Its a real problem when you have multiple persons that are in the conversation, only the first notification sound is used.
    07-03-2018 12:07 PM
    Thanks Tony Smith Photo. How do I access this upgrade? My phone is saying no updates are available and phone is up to date.
    What phone do you have? (I know this is an S8/8+ thread but there are other phone owners in this thread). I have the S8+ and I got the update last week from the Samsung app store
    07-03-2018 12:29 PM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Verizon Wireless:

I was bemoaning this same issue a few weeks ago and someone here recommended an alternative app for texting, which would have the ability to choose individual text tones. It was "Messages" and for one thing, as soon as I downloaded it, it sent out two very old (from about 18 months ago) picture messages to two separate contacts, so I started getting strange replies! Then a couple of days ago, it did it again - sent an old photo to another one of my contacts! My other issue with it is there seems to be a noticeable delay between when I press 'Send' and when the message actually goes. Also, I don't like the look of it. Not sure it's worth it ONLY for the ability to specify individual text tones. If I want to go back to what I was using before, what do I do? I'm not even sure what it was - whatever came with the phone... Would I need to Uninstall "Messages," or just choose a different default app? Thank you in advance.
    07-03-2018 02:11 PM
    Apologies, only just come back to this.

My post, was for Messages on Galaxy S8+.

I've no idea how you'd access it, my phone updated to the version I mentioned, and I can now set an individual message alert tone per contact.
    07-03-2018 03:29 PM
    Hope this works.
    Attached Thumbnails My individual contact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?-screenshot_20180703-213029_messages.jpg   My individual contact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?-screenshot_20180703-213056_messages.jpg  
    07-03-2018 03:33 PM
    If you have the above version, open up a message from the contact you want to customise. Click on the 3 vertical dots, top right, click on Notifications, then click on the settings icon next to Custom, and set your tone.

Easy.
    07-03-2018 03:34 PM
    Hi Tony, I hope I'm wrong however I think what you're describing is how to set a unique message tone for a conversation - as opposed to a unique message tone per contact. Note the words in your screenshot "use custom notification settings for this conversation". Can you confirm that in a conversation with three or more, does each person's reply generate a unique message tone assigned to the individual contact? Or do all replies generate the same message tone assigned to the conversation?
    11B1P likes this.
    07-03-2018 03:53 PM
    Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

I usually only have a couple of conversations on the go at any one time. My mum, partner, kids and such. I've deleted my conversation with my partner, so that conversation is now gone. She's due to text me shortly, I'll find out when she does, if the notification changes to default, or stays on the custom one I use for her.
    07-03-2018 04:00 PM
    Ok, by deleting the conversation, it reset the notification. Dang !!! So the trick is to not delete the conversation
    07-03-2018 04:29 PM
    Thanks for the update Tony.
    07-03-2018 05:47 PM
    Unfortunately what I'm finding is that, while I can assign a unique message tone to a conversation (using Android Messages on an AT&T Galaxy S8+ for example), everyone in the conversation generates the same message tone when they reply. You can't determine who's replying based on the message tone. I'm hopeful someone can prove this wrong - or point out a third party message app that enables setting a unique message tone per contact (not per conversation).
    TonySmithPhoto likes this.
    07-03-2018 06:14 PM
    If you look around the forum you will see a lot written about this. It appears the feature had been removed from the native samsung text app in oreo. Try a third party text app like Textra. It allows for custom notifications by sender.
    If you install Textra, do it pick up historical message or are you starting with a clean slate?
    07-03-2018 06:16 PM
    I have the Note 8 and I found how to assign a custom text notification sound to a person in the default app. Open the person in text messages you want to assign the tone to, go to the 3 dots in the right upper corner, click on notifications and you can choose from there. It's not gone, just moved. This has been driving me crazy!
    07-05-2018 02:57 PM
    I installed it but it only has notifications per thread NOT per contact. It needs to be by CONTACT.
    07-06-2018 04:41 PM
    If you look around the forum you will see a lot written about this. It appears the feature had been removed from the native samsung text app in oreo. Try a third party text app like Textra. It allows for custom notifications by sender.
    I hope someone can help me out. Like everyone else Samsung ridiculously remove the custom notifications and I need them for work. I installed Textra and it looks like a great app but for some reason even if I set it as default Samsung keeps going back to its old or so-called new version without the custom notification anybody know why? I have checked several times and texture is installed and listed as the default. Thanks for any help
    07-08-2018 11:22 AM
    I have the same experience I called Samsung and they were rude and would not commit to whether they're going to return it or not so I told them since they couldn't give me an answer I will just get an iPhone on my next upgrade they didn't care of course
    07-08-2018 11:27 AM
    I have the same experience I called Samsung and they were rude and would not commit to whether they're going to return it or not so I told them since they couldn't give me an answer I will just get an iPhone on my next upgrade they didn't care of course
    They already gave you the option back. It's just per conversation and not per contact now.
    07-08-2018 11:39 AM
    Well....first the fact that others have the same problem does not make me feel any better. Second, it's not causing the entire world around me to cease to exist either. That said, one thing I found out. I have a S7 and immediately after the Oreo update last week I lost the message bubble. A few days ago I bought a S9 and it had Oreo already installed and funny thing.....anything to do with message notifications that didn't work on my S7 after the Oreo update works perfectly on the S9, so what does that tell me? The update is either compatible with the S9, designed for newer models such as the S9, OR just gave no priority, or not enough of one for the S7. I'm going with a mix of the former and the latter. Not sure why this is a S8 thread, since I typed in S7 Oreo issues, but hey......
    07-10-2018 11:35 AM
    Isn't this more an issue with Contacts, and not so much messenger? We set custom message tones in contacts, along with custom ringtones, however yes, message tone is not available in oreo when editing contact.

Regardless, c'mon, Samsung, get your s#!@ together. 🤣
    07-10-2018 03:30 PM
    All the complaints and still no fix it sucks
    07-13-2018 05:03 PM
    I agree with all of you, I have wasted many hours trying to get back my individual notifications, i even went as far as a factory reset hoping I would be able to pick a date for my backup, nope... they thought of everything to make sure you don't get them back! I'm getting tired of the changes,change is good! But don't screw with a feature that is pretty much the top selling point for android.
    11B1P likes this.
    07-17-2018 04:50 PM
    Is there a specific contact at Samsung to complain to?
    07-18-2018 07:46 AM
    I am very disappointed also they took this feature away. Very irratating!
    07-20-2018 09:00 AM
130 ... 3456