My individual contact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I updated to Oreo this morning on my GS8, and before the update I had individual notifications tones for each of my contacts whenever I received a text message from them. After the update, all of my messages have switched to the default and there appears to be no option to even add notifications tones now. Has the location moved or something?

Centerman66

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
If you look around the forum you will see a lot written about this. It appears the feature had been removed from the native samsung text app in oreo. Try a third party text app like Textra. It allows for custom notifications by sender.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
if you are using Verizon Message+, you open a thread with the person you want to set a custom tone for.

Hit the menu button (3 dots in upper right)

select customize

select tones

then select your desired tone

UserAEandroid289

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
I noticed that too and I hate it. I hope they bring the feature back asap. Im wondering if there is a way to contact them to bring it back if enough people ask. Im sure most people are not happy with this new update.

Last edited:

Jess3117

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
Not happy with this new update. I actually liked being able to assign my contacts different notification tones. It was a helpful feature that they need to bring back.

Mommasamsung

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
I spoke with a contact at Samsung today and they have removed that ability from phones on this latest update. There is no way to reverse it. My suggestion would be to contact Samsung, not your provider, and at least voice a complaint. That way they will look into adding to the next update.

dat2

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
Multiple people have contacted them about this loss of individual message tones and their response was rude. They will not bring it back and have no plans to do it.

Sarah Griffin1

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
This was one of my favorite features. They should put it back. I liked that i knew who was texting me without looking at my phone if i was busy. Bad choice to take it away!!!!

Misshoney1801

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
I loved this feature, really handy. Gutted they've removed it, rubbish. Really surprised as it's been an iPhone feature for years ( which was actually easier than on the S8 to implement) Big mistake xxx

GrouchEmom

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
I loved that feature. I wish they would give it back. It makes it much easier to know who is texting you.
They should let us know what they are removing and then we can choose whether we want the update or not.

DroidLorri

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
This is a mistake as it makes me not want to bother with buying Samsung themes since I can't use their stock messenger anymore. Half of the reason I bought them in the first place was because they made texting such a pleasant visual experience. Alas, I'd rather have the custom text sounds than the pretty picture so so much for Samsung themes.

Sarah Griffin1

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
I downloaded the "textra" app and so far its the best one i have found. You can personalize text notification sounds and a whole lot more. You may want to try it.

Patty Lynn

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
My straight to vm feature is also gone along with my text tones.. im furious over these 2 things being deleted!! (Mainly cause work can get through now lol).

Tom Godon

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
if you are using Verizon Message+, you open a thread with the person you want to set a custom tone for.

Hit the menu button (3 dots in upper right)

select customize

select tones

then select your desired tone

Thank you....

Do you know if the setting is retained if you delete all messages from the sender or will it revert back to the phone's default sound?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC