What happened to custom text tone notifications?

Vylet22

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded latest update from your link and the look of the messaging app changed but there is still no text alert option when you click on "edit" for the contact you wish to customize.

OhHeyThereYou23

Aug 3, 2018
Visit site
So I never reply to these, there's just no use in b i t c h i n g on the internet because it doesn't solve or accomplish anything but I need to vent about the latest f u c k-ery from Samsung. First they do away with the ability to use your hotspot with a 3rd party app (that REALLY pissed me off FoxFi was the best app ever created!) Then they did away with HDMI compatibility with every phone after the Note 3 in a pathetic attempt at forcing us to get chromecast. Now these out of touch sons of bitches took away arguably one of the coolest features we had! I know plenty apple users who were super envious of our capability to personalize text tones for specific contacts. Why in the sam hell can't they just leave well enough alone?! They need to put all the above mentioned features back and just stop taking things away!!!

Last edited:

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
So I never reply to these, there's just no use in b i t c h i n g on the internet because it doesn't solve or accomplish anything but I need to vent about the latest f u c k-ery from Samsung. First they do away with the ability to use your hotspot with a 3rd party app (that REALLY pissed me off FoxFi was the best app ever created!) Then they did away with HDMI compatibility with every phone after the Note 3 in a pathetic attempt at forcing us to get chromecast. Now these out of touch sons of bitches took away arguably one of the coolest features we had! I know plenty apple users who were super envious of our capability to personalize text tones for specific contacts. Why in the sam hell can't they just leave well enough alone?! They need to put all the above mentioned features back and just stop taking things away!!!

there's an update that came out recently to let us put text tones to separate contacts again. The only difference now is it's in the Messaging App

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
there's an update that came out recently to let us put text tones to separate contacts again. The only difference now is it's in the Messaging App

I can't find anyplace to do this. I'm running the default app "Messages" version 4.4.20.8 and "Message service" 4.4.20.6 and it says "The latest version is already installed"

Do you have a newer version somehow? Or if not, can you help me find where to do this?

EDIT: I just saw this is an S8 group and I'm on the S7. Maybe that's why I don't see this?

Last edited:

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
the version I have is 4.4.30.5 and yes I'm using an S8 but that shouldn't be an issue, see if you could Side Load it into your S7 (Google for the message app version 4.4.30.5) and if you do get it running then open a conversation and press the menu 3 dots and from that side menu you can customize the notification sounds for each convo

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
the version I have is 4.4.30.5 and yes I'm using an S8 but that shouldn't be an issue, see if you could Side Load it into your S7 (Google for the message app version 4.4.30.5) and if you do get it running then open a conversation and press the menu 3 dots and from that side menu you can customize the notification sounds for each convo

Thanks justnivek! While I was on APKMirror, I tried installing newer versions than the one you mentionied (4. & 5. varieties) and none worked. But the version you mentioned 4.4.30.5 did!

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks justnivek! While I was on APKMirror, I tried installing newer versions than the one you mentionied (4. & 5. varieties) and none worked. But the version you mentioned 4.4.30.5 did!

glad to help. I was very heavily invested in having every contact have different tones so when the oreo update killed that I went back to my paid version of Textra. But nothing comes close to stock because of the theming I love it too much

ClassicLiberal

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site

What do you mean by "Side Load?"

I want to get this feature back, and I'm not able to follow you on this.

Thanks!

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by "Side Load?"

I want to get this feature back, and I'm not able to follow you on this.

Thanks!

Side Load is when the app isn't exactly available directly to you from an app store so you download it manually.

For example, I told someone in a post above to go on google.com and search for "Samsung stock messenger 4.4.30.5 apk"

after you find it you have to press download (but be careful not to install anything elseby accident)

after it's downloaded you press install (it will tell you it's not from the app store are you sure)

that's pretty much it

ClassicLiberal

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Side Load is when the app isn't exactly available directly to you from an app store so you download it manually.

For example, I told someone in a post above to go on google.com and search for "Samsung stock messenger 4.4.30.5 apk"

after you find it you have to press download (but be careful not to install anything elseby accident)

after it's downloaded you press install (it will tell you it's not from the app store are you sure)

that's pretty much it

Got it! I'll give this a try!

Thanks so much!

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I too was able to install 4.4.30.5 but not the two newer versions. I can now set individual notifications. Oddly, only one of the S8s on my account received the update at some point as it was already at this version.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I too was able to install 4.4.30.5 but not the two newer versions. I can now set individual notifications. Oddly, only one of the S8s on my account received the update at some point as it was already at this version.

it was a roll out so all devices should be on it by now but I don't know how Samsung/servers work

chesterfield548

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
S7 Text notification, custom tones:
copy audio file from audio folder and paste to :
Myfiles/internal storage/android/media/com.google.android.talk/notifications

then go to settings in message ap and settings general notifications, sounds, select file from list

Pbrennan03

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
Just a heads up, with the most recent update to the Galaxy phones you can add the personalized text tones to your contacts again. But you go through the actual text message app installed on the phone instead of through contacts.

Go into the conversation of the contact you want to personalize.
Click the three dots on the upper right side.
Then click on notifications
Next, select custom.
Then from there you can select the tone you want used for that particular person.
I have the Galaxy S7 and just figured this out yesterday!! So happy it came back

michael@moshea.com

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Just a heads up, with the most recent update to the Galaxy phones you can add the personalized text tones to your contacts again. But you go through the actual text message app installed on the phone instead of through contacts.

Go into the conversation of the contact you want to personalize.
Click the three dots on the upper right side.
Then click on notifications
Next, select custom.
Then from there you can select the tone you want used for that particular person.
I have the Galaxy S7 and just figured this out yesterday!! So happy it came back

How about how you can change the tone notification for your calendar appointments reminders? I want a tone difference from the standard tone.

michael@moshea.com

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
With the recent Android updates, it appears that you cannot have unique notification tones for (1) emails, (2) texts, and (3) appointment reminders. I see from this forum that there might be a way to get around the contacts issue, but any ideas about (1) emails and (2) appointment reminders?

rhinestone69

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I have found a possible way to do this on my note 8. If you go into messages where you already have a conversation going with someone. Select the three dots and choose notifications. From there you can choose the DEFAULT notification alert or a custom alert for that particular conversation. So long as you dont delete the entire thread. the alert will stay to your desired tone.
I tested this with a conversation thread with just my wife and the alternate alert played. I then got my daughter to send me a text and my DEFAULT alert played.

Seems to work for me. Annoying that this feature has been omitted as I found it rather useful being able to set custom message alerts for my contacts.

Give it a go. Good Luck people!!!!!

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Gonna revive an old thread... But this don't work for me. Their "fix" has a flaw. I just got my Note 9 and found this BUG. This applies the custom tones ONLY to the conversation. But if you have A GROUP text going out with 3 or 4 people, you get ONE tone for all in the group. I can tag a conversation with Person A and get a tone reserved for them. I can tag a conversation with Person B and get their reserved tone. BUT if I am talking with Person A and Person B in the same conversation, I get the same tone for every line transmitted, no matter who sends it. I don't need the conversation tagged, I need the PERSON tagged like we had before. Is that so hard to understand? Yeah, I've looked at texted. But does it cover the individual, or cover only the conversation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol