So my Android S8 automatically updated last night and now I don't have custom text tone notifications. This is literally one of the most important features for me. I want to know if I need to waste time looking at a text by the tone before I touch my phone.
    Anyone else have this problem? Can I uninstall the update? I have an S8 with AT&T
    03-21-2018 09:40 AM
    So my Android S8 automatically updated last night and now I don't have custom text tone notifications. This is literally one of the most important features for me. I want to know if I need to waste time looking at a text by the tone before I touch my phone.
    Anyone else have this problem? Can I uninstall the update? I have an S8 with AT&T
    Yes they took that option away. You'd have to download a third party sms app like Textra to get it back.
    03-21-2018 09:45 AM
    That's the dumbest ******* thing I ever heard in my life. What ***** would just randomly decide to take that option away?.... A widely used option I would imagine... Who gets paid for being stupid?
    METAL BARBI likes this.
    03-21-2018 09:53 AM
    Are you even sure a third-party texting app would make that work? I don't see the option in my contacts... I'll give it a shot and see what happens
    03-21-2018 09:54 AM
    Well I already had Verizon Messages Plus installed on my phone... I can set them in there. But that is a pain in the ***... I already had all this done in my contacts. I wish I could meet the people personally that screw with my phone so I could choke the life out of them.
    03-21-2018 09:57 AM
    Also I use an app called status. Allows me to totally customize the status bar... Now that is all screwed up... I wonder how much more stupidity I will find over the next few days.
    03-21-2018 10:00 AM
    I agree I miss that feature, I loved it and assigning my family members so I knew who was texting, stupid move Samsung, maybe a fix soon
    03-21-2018 04:00 PM
    Having custom text notifications keeps me from having to check my phone every time someone texts. The update has also made it more difficult to set individual notifications for emails and individual applications as well. Since the update and many hours scrolling through settings I still have the same notification sound for every notification. So I am unable to audibly tell whether I received an email or if it's just a random push notification. However, I did find a way to set this in the email settings themselves but find it resetting itself to the default notification sound. I already regret the update. I miss individual text sound customization. I don't want to download yet another texting app when my phone already have 3 preinstalled that I don't use.
    03-30-2018 12:34 AM
    Having custom text notifications keeps me from having to check my phone every time someone texts. The update has also made it more difficult to set individual notifications for emails and individual applications as well. Since the update and many hours scrolling through settings I still have the same notification sound for every notification. So I am unable to audibly tell whether I received an email or if it's just a random push notification. However, I did find a way to set this in the email settings themselves but find it resetting itself to the default notification sound. I already regret the update. I miss individual text sound customization. I don't want to download yet another texting app when my phone already have 3 preinstalled that I don't use.
    Which email app do you use? I got Yahoo and type mail to work. I gave up on Gmail. There's no settings within the app that allows custom tones. You might have to go into the phone settings and turn off the sound notifications for all email apps and then go into each app and set up. I have all notification sounds set to silent then I went into each app and changed the sound.
    badcat likes this.
    03-30-2018 02:50 AM
    Ok I figured out the gmail thing. First thing you have to do is put the main notification settings on silent. It's settings>sounds & vibrations> notification sounds then click silent. Now go to Gmail . Click general setting>manage notifications.click on the word mail . Click the word important and change that option to high make sound. Then click the word sound and pick your notification. You're all set. These are instructions for Gmail. For the most part the options to change the settings for type mail and Yahoo were kind of the same once you click settings.
    badcat likes this.
    03-30-2018 03:13 AM
    I just got the S9+ yesterday and found out they no longer have the option for customizing individual people's text tones. I'm very disappointed in this, as everyone else has already stated, it's because now whenever my phone goes off I have to look to see who it is and if I want to respond.

Please fix this, Samsung. This is a huge disappointment.
    04-06-2018 01:09 PM
    I just got the S9+ yesterday and found out they no longer have the option for customizing individual people's text tones. I'm very disappointed in this, as everyone else has already stated, it's because now whenever my phone goes off I have to look to see who it is and if I want to respond.

Please fix this, Samsung. This is a huge disappointment.
    Best option is to switch to a better texting app.
    badcat likes this.
    04-06-2018 01:13 PM
    Ok I figured out the gmail thing. First thing you have to do is put the main notification settings on silent. It's settings>sounds & vibrations> notification sounds then click silent. Now go to Gmail . Click general setting>manage notifications.click on the word mail . Click the word important and change that option to high make sound. Then click the word sound and pick your notification. You're all set. These are instructions for Gmail. For the most part the options to change the settings for type mail and Yahoo were kind of the same once you click settings.
    In Gmail, go to Menu (left panel), (scroll down) Settings, select the email account that you want to set the alert for if you have multiple, scroll to the Notifications section and Inbox notifications, and there should be a Sound setting that can be set to a different notification tone.
    04-06-2018 01:19 PM
    I hate it when they dump good features like this. I can just imagine some rich kid new college grad out of Berkley taking over management of the software because his daddy is in charge and eliminating the feature because it isn't convenient.
    04-28-2018 11:53 AM
    This is an unacceptable modification to the basic software that was on the phone originally. This is essentially a breaking of the contract for purchase. It was purchased to do a certain set of functions. additional functions may be added but none removed. This voids the purchasers contract with Samsung. Think about this fellows. You need to return this function post haste or some lawyer will see this as an opportunity to initiate a class action lawsuit for failure to provide services.
    06-11-2018 04:06 PM
    This is an unacceptable modification to the basic software that was on the phone originally. This is essentially a breaking of the contract for purchase. It was purchased to do a certain set of functions. additional functions may be added but none removed. This voids the purchasers contract with Samsung. Think about this fellows. You need to return this function post haste or some lawyer will see this as an opportunity to initiate a class action lawsuit for failure to provide services.
    Yeah, I'm sure Samsung lawyers have this covered. Pretty sure the user contract actually has "features may be added or removed at our whim".
    06-11-2018 08:12 PM
    Yes I have the S7 edge and the same thing happened to me. I thought maybe it was me they couldn't find it but I really do use that feature a lot. Please put it back
    06-17-2018 03:23 AM
    Yes I have the S7 edge and the same thing happened to me. I thought maybe it was me they couldn't find it but I really do use that feature a lot. Please put it back
    There's an update. They did put it back.
    06-17-2018 03:50 AM
    so where's the update
    06-17-2018 04:28 PM
    so where's the update
    If you don't have the update in the galaxy app store you can get the apk file here https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsun...sung-messages/
    06-17-2018 09:07 PM
    Downloaded latest update from your link and the look of the messaging app changed but there is still no text alert option when you click on "edit" for the contact you wish to customize.
    06-24-2018 10:42 AM
    Downloaded latest update from your link and the look of the messaging app changed but there is still no text alert option when you click on "edit" for the contact you wish to customize.
    You can only customize text conversations now.
    06-24-2018 11:48 AM
    So I never reply to these, there's just no use in b i t c h i n g on the internet because it doesn't solve or accomplish anything but I need to vent about the latest f u c k-ery from Samsung. First they do away with the ability to use your hotspot with a 3rd party app (that REALLY pissed me off FoxFi was the best app ever created!) Then they did away with HDMI compatibility with every phone after the Note 3 in a pathetic attempt at forcing us to get chromecast. Now these out of touch sons of bitches took away arguably one of the coolest features we had! I know plenty apple users who were super envious of our capability to personalize text tones for specific contacts. Why in the sam hell can't they just leave well enough alone?! They need to put all the above mentioned features back and just stop taking things away!!!
    laceyjoxo likes this.
    08-02-2018 09:19 PM
    So I never reply to these, there's just no use in b i t c h i n g on the internet because it doesn't solve or accomplish anything but I need to vent about the latest f u c k-ery from Samsung. First they do away with the ability to use your hotspot with a 3rd party app (that REALLY pissed me off FoxFi was the best app ever created!) Then they did away with HDMI compatibility with every phone after the Note 3 in a pathetic attempt at forcing us to get chromecast. Now these out of touch sons of bitches took away arguably one of the coolest features we had! I know plenty apple users who were super envious of our capability to personalize text tones for specific contacts. Why in the sam hell can't they just leave well enough alone?! They need to put all the above mentioned features back and just stop taking things away!!!
    there's an update that came out recently to let us put text tones to separate contacts again. The only difference now is it's in the Messaging App
    Norg likes this.
    08-03-2018 12:22 AM
    there's an update that came out recently to let us put text tones to separate contacts again. The only difference now is it's in the Messaging App
    I can't find anyplace to do this. I'm running the default app "Messages" version 4.4.20.8 and "Message service" 4.4.20.6 and it says "The latest version is already installed"

Do you have a newer version somehow? Or if not, can you help me find where to do this?

EDIT: I just saw this is an S8 group and I'm on the S7. Maybe that's why I don't see this?
    08-06-2018 05:11 PM
35 12