How To Downgrade From OREO To Nougat

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but I figured it might be best to start a new thread for those who may not know the process of downgrading using Odin, for others like me who absolutely despised Oreo...

Very easy!

First off... Pro tip: DO NOT RESTORE FROM YOUR GOOGLE BACKUP OR ANY BACKUPS WHATSOEVER! START COMPLETELY FRESH!

Go to Sammobile, go to the firmware section, type in and search for your model number, and download the latest nougat file for your phone and carrier. It takes a while to download if you register a free account (a few hours for me) ... make sure you have the latest Odin installed, which you'll find a link to from that same page in the instructions section if you scroll a little ways down. Sign out of ALL Samsung and Google accounts on the phone before starting the process. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be all set. There's also a video you can and should watch. If any of you end up doing it, I highly recommend skipping the initial setup process, powering down, and booting into stock recovery (volume up, Bixby button and power button held at the same time) and factory reset again (my ritual is 3 times in a row for good measure, then reboot system)

It's that simple!

Good luck!

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Nice write-up, also covered in an ambassador's guide - https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

It should be pointed out that you would want to be sure you have a backup of any data on the device before starting the process as it WILL get wiped. Also of note is that this does not prevent you from getting nagged to update again.

Yes, thank you... I forgot to include this very important bit of information about backing up your data. In my mind that's obvious, but it's not for everyone so I should have included that.

Also, there's a toggle in developer options called "Auto update system" that can be turned off to prevent being nagged to update. Working well for me so far. Or, one can always invest in Package disabler pro to disable system updates.

Attachments

• 7878.jpg
    7878.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm on sammobile but unsure what file to download.
There are 4 files from March 15... under country/carrier two are unknown, one is Sprint, and the other is Virgin Mobile. I have ATT... which is not listed on any of the downloads.
Any idea which file it is?

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I'm on sammobile but unsure what file to download.
There are 4 files from March 15... under country/carrier two are unknown, one is Sprint, and the other is Virgin Mobile. I have ATT... which is not listed on any of the downloads.
Any idea which file it is?

Not sure if this is allowed, but I'm doing it anyway. Here's what you're looking for - assuming you have the S8 and not the plus model...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s8/how-to/att-s8-stock-odin-files-firmware-t3730893

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if this is allowed, but I'm doing it anyway. Here's what you're looking for - assuming you have the S8 and not the plus model...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s8/how-to/att-s8-stock-odin-files-firmware-t3730893

Actually I have both but the regular S8 would be the one I would try first since I'd have minimal stuff to back up compared to my +.
I did a search on that site and found 4 similar downloads for the + but not the right ones.

Thank you much!

EDIT>>> I thought these 2 phones were identical except for size? Still needs a different file?

... unless this is it
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s8+/how-to/g955u-att-stock-odin-files-firmware-t3715745

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Actually I have both but the regular S8 would be the one I would try first since I'd have minimal stuff to back up compared to my +.
I did a search on that site and found 4 similar downloads for the + but not the right ones.

Thank you much!

EDIT>>> I thought these 2 phones were identical except for size? Still needs a different file?

You're welcome!

Yes, still a different model number. SM-G950U VS SM-G955U for the plus model. The firmware files would be slightly different, and as far as I know not interchangeable.

Good luck with the downgrade! And don't worry about any errors you might get on the phone. If Odin says it was successful, you're good. Just wait for it to reboot (which might take a while the first time) and skip through the initial setup process, reboot into recovery, factory reset again, reboot system and you'll be good to go.

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
Yes, still a different model number. SM-G950U VS SM-G955U for the plus model. The firmware files would be slightly different, and as far as I know not interchangeable.

I edited my post a couple times and your quote doesn't have the link in my second edit so I'm assuming you didn't see it.
If you have a second since you obviously know way more about this than me... could you take a look at it and confirm it would be good for the S8+

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I edited my post a couple times and your quote doesn't have the link in my second edit so I'm assuming you didn't see it.
If you have a second since you obviously know way more about this than me... could you take a look at it and confirm it would be good for the S8+

Yeah I saw it, my fault I meant to comment on that. The link I posted is good for your S8 on ATT. The link you posted is good for your S8+ on ATT. They aren't interchangeable, so be sure you're using the right files for the right phone.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site

How did the downgrade go?

DerHof

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
How did the downgrade go?

Hey, thanks for asking... and for the help.

The short answer is I didn't try it yet.
I wanted to wait until the weekend in case I ran into any problems.
Since then I've become obsessed with finishing my arcade cabinet... Changing over from Hyperspin to Launchbox (if you're familiar with the hobby)... and adding quite a few emulators I never intended to.
Hoping to have it done in the next few days then back to the phone.

I'll definitely post my results though.

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Hey, thanks for asking... and for the help.

The short answer is I didn't try it yet.
I wanted to wait until the weekend in case I ran into any problems.
Since then I've become obsessed with finishing my arcade cabinet... Changing over from Hyperspin to Launchbox (if you're familiar with the hobby)... and adding quite a few emulators I never intended to.
Hoping to have it done in the next few days then back to the phone.

I'll definitely post my results though.

Vaguely familiar with Launchbox. Sounds awesome! I have my original Xbox modded with a bunch of emulators and a seemingly endless list of classic games, so I definitely understand the obsession lol

nomorevideos

May 17, 2018
Visit site
I have a few small questions about this, sorry for being dumb.

First off, I went to sammobile and and searched for firmware for my Galaxy A5 2017 (SM-A520F) and my first question is, does it matter which carrier I choose? I am from Austria and my phone is from TMobile, but it was fully unlocked for all carriers. I currently have Telering as my pre-paid carrier, so do I choose its firmware?
Furthermore, this method of flashing the OS via Odin does work for all Samsung phones, not just the S8 and S8+? Or will it not work with my A5 2017? Also, how do I get the developer options, to turn off auto updates? I don't want to go through this just so the phone redownloads the newest version after only a few days.
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I just really wanna have the older version of Samsung Experience back, so I can use my custom AOD background again.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been attempting to downgrade from an early 8.0 back to stock 7.0 for my S8+ for more than a week, at least 25 attempts using ODIN3 latest and ALWAYS ENDS WITH FAIL?? I have was I think are the correct codes for my AT&T s8+ "G955USQU1AQC9_G955UOYN1AQC9_ATT" downloaded from Sammobile. And Yes, I have latest Samsung drivrs, good cable, that sort of thing...

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I CAN DO NEXT, I'M REALLY OUT OF CREATIVE OPTIONS!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Rere1980

Jun 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue with my s8+ sprint. I can not get it downgraded..... please help.
Imy trying to bypass the Google verification lock.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been attempting to downgrade from an early 8.0 back to stock 7.0 for my S8+ for more than a week, at least 25 attempts using ODIN3 latest and ALWAYS ENDS WITH FAIL?? I have what I think are the correct codes for my AT&T s8+ "G955USQU1AQC9_G955UOYN1AQC9_ATT" downloaded from Sammobile. And Yes, I have latest Samsung drivers, good cable, that sort of thing...

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I CAN DO NEXT, I'M REALLY OUT OF CREATIVE OPTIONS!!! HELP PLEASE!!!
I'm simply doing this so I can return to receiving the regular AT&T carrier updates!! Surely one of you very knowledgeable people out there in Androidland can help a guy out?!

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been attempting to downgrade from an early 8.0 back to stock 7.0 for my S8+ for more than a week, at least 25 attempts using ODIN3 latest and ALWAYS ENDS WITH FAIL?? I have was I think are the correct codes for my AT&T s8+ "G955USQU1AQC9_G955UOYN1AQC9_ATT" downloaded from Sammobile. And Yes, I have latest Samsung drivrs, good cable, that sort of thing...

Finally gave up and requested a replacement S8+ under warranty.... All is back to normal, running official Oreo 8.0 and already received June Security patches, CASE CLOSED!!

Lesson Learned; although I eventually managed to downgrade to an AT&T 7.0 version, my device never did regain the ability to receive AT&T ota updates. Agree or disagree, I suggest avoiding unnoficial software updates, the troubles and time wasted afterwards are simply not worth it!!

yoco007

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Hey! I'm complete noob when it comes to this stuff. If it doesn't work, as it didn't for Norg above, does your phone become bricked?

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey! I'm complete noob when it comes to this stuff. If it doesn't work, as it didn't for Norg above, does your phone become bricked?

Not at all!! ...and if you do brick your phone you can unbrick it anyway. All I'm saying is that once you update to an unofficial version, you pretty well are stuck at updating that way going forward. To each their own!

Jeevan Budha Magar

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi my note 8 is new zealand bought. Which stock firmware should i download to downgrade the phone from oreo to the official one. If its possible could you please send me the link and how to do it. Thanks