: why did they take away the feature to set ringtones [And advice requested about rolling back. - Mod. title edit]

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

: why did they take away the feature to set ringtones [And advice requested about rolling back. - Mod. title edit]

When I first got the phone I was able to set my messages with different ringtones? But after the update it took that feature away for the Samsung Galaxy s8, is there anyway you can bring that feature back.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: : why did they take away the feature to set ringtones for my contact messages?

It’s a feature of Oreo. I don’t know why it was done. I don’t think there’s anything you can do but hope that it will be restored in a future update.

Penney728

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Re: : why did they take away the feature to set ringtones for my contact messages?

I am upset that it did this as well - can we restore our phone and will it go back to pre-update?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I am upset that it did this as well - can we restore our phone and will it go back to pre-update?
Welcome as a new member. :)

I think that it can be done, though not easily. I'll move the thread to the S8 forum for comments from other users.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
No comments several days later. No-one in this forum is prepared to tell you how to do that, it would seem. If I knew, I'd tell you. It's basically backing up, resetting, then reflashing the desired ROM, but I don't know the details.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
When I first got the phone I was able to set my messages with different ringtones? But after the update it took that feature away for the Samsung Galaxy s8, is there anyway you can bring that feature back.

On Oreo you can still set separate ring tones for contacts but you cannot set separate sms (text) tones unless you use a 3rd party messaging app. Try Textra.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

Factory resetting your phone will not put it back to pre-update OS. If you are now on Oreo, you will still be on Oreo if you factory reset.
The only way I know how to go back to 7.0 (Nougat) is to flash a Nougat ROM through Odin. SamMobile has these roms.

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
you cannot restore this feature. What you can do is download a different texting app such as Textra which supports this feature and is a great texting app!

CraftyMe2323

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I created a thread on rolling back to nougat, if anyone here is actually interested in searching for that thread. Shouldn't be too far down. Or, just use a different texting app like wms3 suggests. Easy stuff...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463