Why are my app badges not showing numbers? (Galaxy S8)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft Launcher updated today. In the personalization part of that launchers settings is an area for notification badges. Now it lists all your apps and the default is set to 'off' on each one. Flip the switch on the apps you want badges in and voila! All better.

On ML as well and # badges are working fine now..

LianaD

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Nothing has worked for me. Verizon or Samsung needs to man up and admit that their last update was a dud and fix the problem and stop blaming the users.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Liana, if you're using the stock launcher, most of them use the default Oreo notification - a dot means that you have at least one notification from that app. If it's not working that way, it's not working, but if it's not working some other way, that could be the "fault" of Oreo working that way. Just another "wrong choice" by Google (in my opinion) - there are a few.

Candacezxc

May 3, 2018
Visit site
Oh I found a fix, for me anyway!! Someone else on here said go to settings--> apps --> 3 dots in upper right corner -> special access -> notification access -> samsung experience home-> switch on.

I am a happy camper ! Spread the word!

No. I've tried it. U have to off the Samsung experience home and it works. It works for me. You guys try it <3

Candacezxc

May 3, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I already had Samsung Experience Home on, so that solution didn't work for me. I'll either have the badge show a notification, but when I open the app, nothing is there. Or I open the app, and there are notifications in the app but none on my badge. This is really frustrating.

I off it and it works. No kidding

Candacezxc

May 3, 2018
Visit site
Settings -> apps -> 3 dots upper right -> special access-> notification access -> OFF Samsung experience home. It works for me now. Thanks to me

Merlyn Scoth

May 4, 2018
Visit site
Galaxy S8+ - I tried all stuff posted above and working solution for me is only - Microsoft launcher + TeslaUnread

I hope Samsung will resolve the notifications problem soon.

Benefecial Advice

May 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi All, i just fixed the issue when one of the members spoke about the samsung experience launcher. I had previously installed the Microsoft launcher and it was so lousy in usage. When I uninstalled it things came back to normal.

Incantrix

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Boot into Safe Mode to determine if it is a third party app causing the issue. While switching your phone on, hold the Volume Down Button when the Samsung logo appears until the Home Screen loads. Safe Mode will now display in the bottom left corner of your phone.

If the notification works correctly, it's a 3rd party app conflicting. Start by deleting the most recent apps and seeing if the problem is resolved.

In my case it was Security Master app causing the problem.

Last edited:

Duriisimo

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Boot into Safe Mode to determine if it is a third party app causing the issue. While switching your phone on, hold the Volume Down Button when the Samsung logo appears until the Home Screen loads. Safe Mode will now display in the bottom left corner of your phone.

If the notification works correctly, it's a 3rd party app conflicting. Start by deleting the most recent apps and seeing if the problem is resolved.

In my case it was Security Master app causing the problem.

This worked for me, I installed a cleaner app, uninstalled it and now it works fine, thank you guys for the info.

DamonZ28#AC

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're using Nova, you have to purchase Nova Prime and then install TeslaUnread.

Thanks! I just updated to Oreo on my S8+ and use Nova Launcher. The Samsung Email app wasn't showing the unread count badges. I opened Tesla Unread, and it reported that Samsung Email badges were turned off. I turned it on, it said something about creating a widget which I accepted, and now it works.

Kemaleon

May 25, 2018
Visit site
Still not working for me.

Samsung S7, just got Oreo update and unread indicator/count not showing for emails (Samsung stock email app) or WhatsApp or Facebook messenger, maybe others. Text messages indicator works.

Tried all the suggestions in here, have all my settings as they should be and haven't installed anything else recently either prior too, or after the Oreo update.

Before these suggestions I uninstalled and reinstalled WhatsApp (the first one I noticed it on and o ly one I really care about), had a problem with my chat backups but that was a WhatsApp issue not Android. Sorted that out, got everything back including the unread message count, yay!...

For an hour, then it went again.

Tried Safe Mode, indicators working for texts still but not emails. Both stock apps. Obviously third party apps were deactivated.

Really frustrating, anyone have any other suggestions? Is there somewhere to report this officially?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Settings -> apps -> 3 dots upper right -> special access-> notification access -> OFF Samsung experience home. It works for me now. Thanks to me
This finally worked for me. I was getting all badge counts except for Facebook on the preinstalled app. THIS finally was the fix that worked.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

M_Agerlin

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
All of a sudden my app badges never have notification numbers on them anymore. Twitter, Facebook, etc will look like I have no notifications. But when I open the app, there will be new ones. Why is the badge not showing them anymore? Samsung Galaxy S8. Thanks for any help.

As I see it, the problem is what is counted. As I read the settings for app badges, they are counting NOTIFICATIONS! So the email icon does not count unread emails but unread notifications. When you clear the notification of a new email, the number is reduced even if you did not read the email.

basebounce

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
is there still no fix tot his seems some peoples are fixing and others arnt probs depending on what phone you have i have a samsung A3 tried all the above i am devostated i dont see the point of a phone if you dont no you have messages ???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey