11-11-2018 05:47 PM
77 1234
tools
    Boot into Safe Mode to determine if it is a third party app causing the issue. While switching your phone on, hold the Volume Down Button when the Samsung logo appears until the Home Screen loads. Safe Mode will now display in the bottom left corner of your phone.

If the notification works correctly, it's a 3rd party app conflicting. Start by deleting the most recent apps and seeing if the problem is resolved.

In my case it was Security Master app causing the problem.
    This worked for me, I installed a cleaner app, uninstalled it and now it works fine, thank you guys for the info.
    05-16-2018 09:16 AM
    If you're using Nova, you have to purchase Nova Prime and then install TeslaUnread.
    Thanks! I just updated to Oreo on my S8+ and use Nova Launcher. The Samsung Email app wasn't showing the unread count badges. I opened Tesla Unread, and it reported that Samsung Email badges were turned off. I turned it on, it said something about creating a widget which I accepted, and now it works.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-17-2018 10:07 AM
    This worked for me, thanks bud
    05-21-2018 01:09 AM
    Still not working for me.

Samsung S7, just got Oreo update and unread indicator/count not showing for emails (Samsung stock email app) or WhatsApp or Facebook messenger, maybe others. Text messages indicator works.

Tried all the suggestions in here, have all my settings as they should be and haven't installed anything else recently either prior too, or after the Oreo update.

Before these suggestions I uninstalled and reinstalled WhatsApp (the first one I noticed it on and o ly one I really care about), had a problem with my chat backups but that was a WhatsApp issue not Android. Sorted that out, got everything back including the unread message count, yay!...

For an hour, then it went again.

Tried Safe Mode, indicators working for texts still but not emails. Both stock apps. Obviously third party apps were deactivated.

Really frustrating, anyone have any other suggestions? Is there somewhere to report this officially?
    05-25-2018 02:38 AM
    Settings -> apps -> 3 dots upper right -> special access-> notification access -> OFF Samsung experience home. It works for me now. Thanks to me
    This finally worked for me. I was getting all badge counts except for Facebook on the preinstalled app. THIS finally was the fix that worked.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    06-26-2018 12:05 AM
    All of a sudden my app badges never have notification numbers on them anymore. Twitter, Facebook, etc will look like I have no notifications. But when I open the app, there will be new ones. Why is the badge not showing them anymore? Samsung Galaxy S8. Thanks for any help.
    As I see it, the problem is what is counted. As I read the settings for app badges, they are counting NOTIFICATIONS! So the email icon does not count unread emails but unread notifications. When you clear the notification of a new email, the number is reduced even if you did not read the email.
    06-29-2018 01:28 AM
    mine was already turned on did not work for me
    06-29-2018 08:09 AM
    is there still no fix tot his seems some peoples are fixing and others arnt probs depending on what phone you have i have a samsung A3 tried all the above i am devostated i dont see the point of a phone if you dont no you have messages ???
    06-29-2018 08:25 AM
    I got the update 2 days ago I'm dealing with the same thing, so annoying 😤
    07-04-2018 09:20 AM
    How to uninstall it?
    07-04-2018 10:45 AM
    for some of the people that are unsuccessful with the various responses, make sure before anything else that you have your email setup to sync upon receiving an email. Mine was set to sync every hour so I did not see an email show up right away.
    07-10-2018 08:24 PM
    This solved the problem for me.
    07-14-2018 02:25 PM
    All of a sudden my app badges never have notification numbers on them anymore. Twitter, Facebook, etc will look like I have no notifications. But when I open the app, there will be new ones. Why is the badge not showing them anymore? Samsung Galaxy S8. Thanks for any help.

Here is what works for me, my S8 right after upgrade to Android 8.0

I need to reset the App Preferences, then re-enable App icon badges.
    In detail, go to
    Settings -> Notifications -> Advance (top right corner)
    -> Three dots (top right corner)
    -> Reset app preferences
    -> Choose Yes

Then go back to Settings -> Notifications, and re-enable App icon badges.
    Since preferences were reset, you might wanna go around and turn on/off things that you need/no need.
    07-19-2018 06:53 AM
    guys i found a solution to get it to work that doesnt involve resetting app preferences (which is annoying because it resets it for everything!!!!)

basically, have tiles notifications with numbers turned on > in emails, go to notifications, and put yes for the accounts > but if you dont like the push notifications set the importance to LOW!!! > in emails set sync schedule to auto (when received).

to recap, here's a checklist:

• in apps, click emails, then notifications make sure app icon badges is on
    • for each email account, set yes to notifications, but change importance to LOW if you dont want push notifications to drop down screen, and make sure app icon badges is swiped blue to on.
    • in settings>notifications > notifications on home screen, make sure app icon badges is on, with either show with dot or number (your choice)
    • for each email account, make sure your sync schedule is AUTO (when received)

boom. the second you get a new email, the number will appear.

hope that helps, i like it because constantly resetting preferences would be irritating!
    07-23-2018 09:18 AM
    This solved the problem for me.
    This did not work for me. I had it enabled and no notifications.
    08-05-2018 01:12 PM
    I got the update 2 days ago I'm dealing with the same thing, so annoying 😤
    So I've found a solution but it's really a pain to implement. Once you go through the obvious things listed above, you have to go BACK to the Settings/Notifications/Apps/Advanced Notification Settings menu, click on EACH app that you've allowed notifications from AND want to see the badge, and check that the app icon badges toggle is enabled. If it's not, manually enable it (click it so that it turns from gray to color). At this point you can also adjust whether you want sound with your notification or not, or show it on your notification screen or not, or other settings in the app. I found that when I did this, some of my important apps that I wanted notifications from were actually set to be blocked, even though on another menu it said they were allowed.

If you go back to your home screen and there is no badge or number showing, go back in through the step above and carefully scrutinize the settings. There are several levels where "notifications" might occur and you have to find and turn on all of them. I spent like 2 hours doing this but it's fixed.
    08-05-2018 01:51 PM
    Thanks! nrose32 It worked for me.
    08-15-2018 09:47 AM
    Guys had same problem with New S8. Easy fix for me, Settings, Notification, Switch on Notifications and it shows a message, icons with numbers. Select All and then unselect ones you don't want notifications from. I have just selected Outlook, Messages, Whatsapp, Facebook and Calendar
    08-16-2018 12:45 PM
    Here you go guys. Thank me later

So if you’re using an S8 and you don’t want to miss important messages from your favorite apps, here are the steps to fix the problem:

1: go into settings, search for “apps” (wait a few seconds for the setting page to load because Samsung’s software is laggy) and click into it.

2: once inside “apps,” hit the three dots on the upper right corner, go into “special access.”

3: once inside special access, go to “optimize battery usage.”

4: from here, tap on the dropdown menu saying that says “apps not optimized” and switch to “all apps.”

5: once all your phone’s apps are shown, find the apps you want to receive notifications as they come through, and tap on the switch to turn it off.

(This is weird, right? You have to turn off the switch to ensure the phone doesn’t automatically kill your app, so you can get notifications on time)
    08-18-2018 01:53 AM
    You're using the stock Samsung launcher, and not a 3rd party launcher like Nova, right?

Hi I am using Nova and got it a couple years ago when I couldn't get badges from Android. However now I have a new S8 and badges do work; can I just turn my Nova badges off in favor of Androids?

As it happens my What's App badges are also not working though others are...
    08-22-2018 08:23 AM
    Hi I am using Nova and got it a couple years ago when I couldn't get badges from Android. However now I have a new S8 and badges do work; can I just turn my Nova badges off in favor of Androids?

As it happens my What's App badges are also not working though others are...
    You'd have to change launchers to the Samsung Experience in order to take advantage of Samsung's badges. Otherwise, keep using Nova and TeslaUnread.
    08-22-2018 10:59 AM
    Think I found a fix. (at least this worked for me)

Instead of going to app settings, go to to the notification settings

settings<notifications

first thing at the very top is "app icon badges" - just toggle to on

after a few minutes, my email app counter starting working again.
    Its been racking my head for a couple of weeks now as I lost the notification counter. I tried your post and it worked. Many thanks
    09-09-2018 09:44 AM
    Its been racking my head for a couple of weeks now as I lost the notification counter. I tried your post and it worked. Many thanks
    It seems to me people don’t listen. There are many switches in Android for you to turn on and off notations in badges.

The problem reported here is an actual bug. The numbers coming up on badges are totally random. I get one twitter alert, it shows 4. I get one WhatsApp message, it shows 7. It’s really bloody crap. I like the phone (s9) but it’s enough to drive me back to Apple, where believe it or not, everything just works.
    09-16-2018 07:32 PM
    think i found a fix. (at least this worked for me)

instead of going to app settings, go to to the notification settings

settings<notifications

first thing at the very top is "app icon badges" - just toggle to on

after a few minutes, my email app counter starting working again.
    thank you so mucuh i have the s9+ and i was loosing it
    09-20-2018 12:49 AM
    nrose32, thanks. Your fix worked on mine.
    10-28-2018 07:09 AM
77 1234