11-11-2018 05:47 PM
77 123 ...
tools
    All of a sudden my app badges never have notification numbers on them anymore. Twitter, Facebook, etc will look like I have no notifications. But when I open the app, there will be new ones. Why is the badge not showing them anymore? Samsung Galaxy S8. Thanks for any help.
    Mairenne likes this.
    03-29-2018 11:25 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! It's probably an Oreo thing. See this guide for the S9, which probably works the same as the S8 on Oreo: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...xy-s9-0183461/
    03-29-2018 06:52 PM
    I have the toggle set to show numbers but they still dont. What else should I try? This is one of many very annoying changes.
    Bear Head, Jill Sink and JP Grimm like this.
    03-29-2018 11:06 PM
    You're using the stock Samsung launcher, and not a 3rd party launcher like Nova, right?
    03-30-2018 01:03 AM
    You're using the stock Samsung launcher, and not a 3rd party launcher like Nova, right?
    Stock samsung. I've spent way too much time trying to get this changed back!
    03-30-2018 08:55 AM
    I'm not sure if it's some glitch in Samsung's launcher. Try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34311
    03-30-2018 11:22 AM
    I am having this exact same issue, exactly the same. Only happened with the update and I too aren't running anything other than the Samsung launcher I haven't touched anything. All the settings are turned on for app badges and I have tried the Above fix, which for 2 minutes showed WhatsApp as having 2 notifications, but the number was always showing 2 even if I had more or less so still not fixed it.

Googled it a lot and can't see anything about it other than this thread.
    basebounce likes this.
    03-30-2018 05:19 PM
    Go through Settings and clear it and other app caches. Also, turn off and back on. Change the type of badge.

Updates are not always perfect. By now 98% apps should have been updated for Oreo.

I had an issue with the beta and Settings, seemed no one else had same. If course no one likes to but factory wipe cured it.
    03-31-2018 03:28 PM
    I have this same issue and it is really annoying.
    04-01-2018 01:11 AM
    Oh I found a fix, for me anyway!! Someone else on here said go to settings--> apps --> 3 dots in upper right corner -> special access -> notification access -> samsung experience home-> switch on.

I am a happy camper ! Spread the word!
    04-01-2018 08:40 AM
    I tried that. It didn't work for me.
    Thanks.
    04-01-2018 10:01 AM
    Oh I found a fix, for me anyway!! Someone else on here said go to settings--> apps --> 3 dots in upper right corner -> special access -> notification access -> samsung experience home-> switch on.

I tried this and my Samsung experience was already on, I flicked it on and off but don't think it's changed anything.
    04-01-2018 12:54 PM
    I am using nova launcher and have tried all of the above recommendations (wiped cache, turned on and off samsung home under special access) but still no luck. Suggestions?
    04-02-2018 02:15 PM
    If you're using Nova, you have to purchase Nova Prime and then install TeslaUnread.
    04-02-2018 07:47 PM
    If I uninstall nova will that solve the problem too?
    04-02-2018 10:28 PM
    You could just change your default Home/Launcher back to the Samsung Experience launcher, which I believe has unread count badges. However, the OP was having issues with the Samsung Experience launcher in this regard, so I'm not sure if you'll have it as well.
    04-03-2018 02:44 AM
    Factory reset only worked for a couple hours, then badges stopped again.
    04-04-2018 12:11 PM

I recently switched from apple to android a week ago and my badge notifications were working perfectly when I started the phone... Then they quit, so when I couldn't find an answer I factory reset my phone.. Which is really annoying and u shouldn't have to do that every time lol. Factory reset fixed it, for 24 hours then nothing... I googled and found this suggestion above, tried it, and it seems to have worked for me! Thank you! Was getting very frustrated.
    04-04-2018 12:13 PM

It worked for me!! You just made my day. THANK YOU!
    04-04-2018 03:48 PM
    I tried this and my Samsung experience was already on, I flicked it on and off but don't think it's changed anything.
    My Samsung Experience was already on too. This is super annoying. I am still getting notifications from messaging (text messenger, Facebook Messenger, etc.) But nothing from Facebook itself, gmail and more.

My husband also has an S8 and is not having this issue. He did not do the most recent update yet though. So frustrated.
    04-04-2018 07:54 PM
  21. jmellow@alumni.uchicago.edu's Avatar
    Thank you, that seems to have fixed it for me, finally.
    04-04-2018 10:03 PM
    I installed the most recent update this morning & no app badges to inform me that there are unread messages for apps (such as Facebook, email, text messages, etc).

Things tried:
    1) Restarted the phone (several times), the obvious go-to resolution, nothing changed.
    2) Samsung Experience was already enabled, turned off, rebooted phone, nothing changed.
    3) Enabled Samsung Experience, restarted phone, nothing changed.
    4) Settings, Notifications, App Icon Badges was already enabled, disabled, restarted phone, no change,
    5) Settings, Notifications, enabled App Icon Badges again, restarted phone, no change,
    6) Settings, Notifications, tapped the words "App Icon Badges", it was already enabled to "show with number".

Finally got sick & tired of looking & wasting my time. My sister users the new Pixel phone & had to install "Notifyer" third party app to provide an unread counter for apps.

Good Luck everyone!
    04-05-2018 09:52 AM
    After Oreo, sometimes mine does, sometimes it doesn't.
    04-05-2018 02:44 PM
    After the oreo update nothing has worked for me. I have switched to Nova and TeslaUnread.. it fixed my issue with Email and Facebook but not text messages. This is a killer for me, I hope something can 'fix' this..
    basebounce likes this.
    04-05-2018 06:31 PM
    I tried that. It didn't work for me.
    Thanks.
    Think I found a fix. (at least this worked for me)

Instead of going to app settings, go to to the notification settings

settings<notifications

first thing at the very top is "app icon badges" - just toggle to on

after a few minutes, my email app counter starting working again.
    04-09-2018 11:43 AM
77 123 ...