Much higher RAM usage after Oreo S8.

NafcMontana

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Been a while since I came here. I've been using my Galaxy S8 for about 8 months and never had any issues with lag or waiting time when opening apps. Now, after updating to Oreo, I only have around 500MB free instead of the 1.2GB-1.8GB I usually had and apps like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat,... need a lot of time to open, sometimes even 10 seconds or more... Already tried factory reset and clearing cache. Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Cache and reset are the things I would have recommended to try first and you've already tried those.

When you reset did you restore a backup?

It kind of sounds like an app is acting up. Is any app showing an abnormal amount of ram usage?

Have you tried clearing the memory from the memory setting in device maintenance?

My S8+ is using about 1.5 to 1.7 GB normally.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The design idea in Android is that unused RAM is wasted RAM, so the more in use, the better. (It doesn't cost more than a few nanoseconds to kill an app, so if the space is needed, that's not going to slow anything down. [There's no "virtual RAM" or swap space in Android - apps have to keep their current states at all times, so if a background app is killed, it's just killed.])

Try clearing system cache (from recovery). Also, as badcat suggested, clear cache from Settings/Storage.

And remember, for a time after updating to a new version of Android, Android itself may be using time setting things up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463