Audio problems when using headphone set w/ Samsung S8

ersm82

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Skullcandy Cassette headphones with a microphone to use w/ my Samsung Galaxy S8. When I plug in the headphones, I can't get any sound whatsoever. I was wondering if there are any apps that I can use to get the headphones to work with my phone. I've already tried the SoundAbout app, and it didn't work. I have Android 8.0. Also, what are some headphones that I could get that are compatible with the S8? I prefer using on-ear headphones w/ a mic instead of earbuds. Thanks in advance.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the pinout in your headphones doesn't match that of Samsung's no app would be able to use them. Have you used the headset in other phones? Are they made for a specific brand (like iPhones)?

ersm82

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the response. What is a pinout, I'm not familiar with what that is? I only have the Samsung S8 phone to try them on. The Skullcandy headphones that I bought are supposed to be compatible with Android phones.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's the actual wiring of the headphone jack. Since it has a microphone, it's not the usual 'Left audio, Right audio, and ground' wiring. Unfortunately, manufacturers sometimes use different pinouts to add support for volume buttons, control buttons, and microphone with the same plug. This means that if your headphones have a different wiring than what the phone is 'expecting', you might have issues with audio not playing or only doing so if you press the control button, etc. Basically they're getting their wires crossed... literally.

But it would be nice to test the headphones in a different device first to rule out a problem with the headset. Do the included headphones (the ones that came with the phone) work OK?

Also make sure that the plug is going all the way in. Some headsets come with a slightly thicker plug that requires a bit of force to make it plug in all the way.

ersm82

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
I don't have any other phone to plug them into, but I did plug them into my laptop, and a tablet. And they still didn't work. My Edifier headphones work with my phone, they just don't have a mic which is the main reason why I bought the Skullcandy headphones. And the earbuds that came with my phone work. There must be something wrong with the headphones. I've contacted the seller to return them. So I'm back to the drawing board looking for a lightweight pair of headphones with a mic lol. Thanks again for your help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if they don't work with any device, then chances are they're damaged. Just make sure they don't need power or something special to make them work. Even if the pinout was wrong you should still get some audio or static coming out of them, especially if you slowly plug/unplug them (if the pinout is wrong, doing that would mean that the right wire would be touching the right terminal at some point).